PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question...

nfpgasmask
07/13/2006, 08:13 PM
...how do I get the center caps off my stock 18" rims? I just finished washing my VX, and I tried to yank off the center caps and none of them would even budge. It was getting dark so I decided to persue this later, but I thought I would ask anyway. Do they need to be knocked out from the other side? I remember with my Xterra I could just pull them off....

Thanks -Bart

Triathlete
07/13/2006, 08:16 PM
If they are like my 99's 16ers they have screws that hold them.

nfpgasmask
07/13/2006, 08:23 PM
Hmm, screws on the back end?

If they are like my 99's 16ers they have screws that hold them.

Triathlete
07/13/2006, 09:04 PM
Nope they are right on the front! Between the lugs.

Triathlete
07/13/2006, 09:06 PM
Just looked in the gallery...18's are differant. Someone with 18's pipe in here!

Anita
07/13/2006, 10:57 PM
The cap is secured with 3 2-inch screws that are fitted through the spare and screwed into the back of the cap.

thedutchguy
07/14/2006, 06:20 AM
The cap is secured with 3 2-inch screws that are fitted through the spare and screwed into the back of the cap.

meaning you have to take of the wheels to remove the caps!

nfpgasmask
07/14/2006, 07:44 AM
OK thanks! That's what I concluded too, but I just wanted to make sure there was not another way before I pull all my wheels off!

I'm in the process of finishing my total de-badge and I have a simple plan for the center caps. But I am ordering new rims and tires next month so I will just wait until then to do it.

Thanks - Bart

creeg
07/14/2006, 09:32 AM
If you want to go for the absolutely simplest way to debadge, someone had sugggested that you get 4 round 3 or 4-inch bubble-type mirrors, and just stick one on each center cap.

I did it, and it looks way better than having "Isuzu" there. Yes, its kinda ghetto, but it doesnt take a lot of effort, and it adds a bit more shine to the wheels...

nfpgasmask
07/14/2006, 09:48 AM
If you want to go for the absolutely simplest way to debadge, someone had sugggested that you get 4 round 3 or 4-inch bubble-type mirrors, and just stick one on each center cap.

I did it, and it looks way better than having "Isuzu" there. Yes, its kinda ghetto, but it doesnt take a lot of effort, and it adds a bit more shine to the wheels...

Yeah, I saw that thread, but I am all about de-shining too. I think I am just going to sand a little on the center of the cap and then prime and respray black. I'm not exactly sure how I will finish it off once I get my new rims. I'm just going to wait and see.

It's coming together, but only as fast as my paychecks come in!

Bart

Cyrk
07/14/2006, 10:02 AM
Bart what rims are you thinking about getting?

nfpgasmask
07/14/2006, 10:40 AM
Bart what rims are you thinking about getting?

C'mon! Do I have to tell!

;) Bart

VehiX
07/14/2006, 10:58 AM
Good luck getting the Isuzu logos off the caps!

I don't know what they used for an adhesive but they're on there pretty darn good :_huh:

All 4 caps on my 16's took about 4 hours to remove on a hot day using some type of adhesive remover (the brand I used escapes me at the moment) :_wtf:

nfpgasmask
07/14/2006, 11:07 AM
Well, what about just leaving the caps on, sanding them down good, masking off, and respraying right over top??

That was my plan anyway....

Bart

Good luck getting the Isuzu logos off the caps!

I don't know what they used for an adhesive but they're on there pretty darn good :_huh:

All 4 caps on my 16's took about 4 hours to remove on a hot day using some type of adhesive remover (the brand I used escapes me at the moment) :_wtf:

Ldub
07/15/2006, 01:28 PM
OORRRRR...
You could go to most any sigh/graphics shop & buy a piece of black decal paper & cut 4 circles to go over the center.

Don't know which would work best...pre-cut or cut in place w/ a zacto knife.

Think that's bad ?...

My first idea was just a piece of lec'tishin's tape. :p

nfpgasmask
07/15/2006, 03:05 PM
Hmmm, I do have some black contact paper around here somewhere. That acutually isn't a bad idea, but something like that could only be temporary (probably wouldn't hold up to snow and salt and heat for very long). I think some good paint with a good enamel top coat will do the trick.

Bart

OORRRRR...
You could go to most any sigh/graphics shop & buy a piece of black decal paper & cut 4 circles to go over the center.

Don't know which would work best...pre-cut or cut in place w/ a zacto knife.

Think that's bad ?...

My first idea was just a piece of lec'tishin's tape. :p