PDA

View Full Version : Preserving VX body

dynofan
07/05/2006, 11:19 PM
I just installed an electronic rust inhibitor in the VX. I've had one in the Amigo for 12 years and it's still in pretty good shape. Anyone else ever tried one?

Scott Harness
07/06/2006, 06:15 AM
The VX body panels are coated in zinc, if I remember correctly.Rust shouldn't be a problem.

VR4-Quest
07/06/2006, 09:40 AM
Unless damaged, scratched, stone chipped, etc. Who ever replaced my windshield scratched the paint at the top of the windshield, now there is rust under the top weatherstripping, the electronic inhibitor might be good insurance!!! Let us know how it works out.

AndyC
07/06/2006, 09:58 AM
I made a major mistake with my 92 Amigo. I coated the undercarrage with rubberized under coating and the poor thing rusted bad. At the time we coated a brand new Astro van too and that rusted out bad too. I figured it just trapped the moisture in. I should have just left them alone an I would have been better off. I'll never use that stuff again. As for the electronic rust inhibitorI didn't think they worked?

Spike
07/07/2006, 12:29 PM
As for the electronic rust inhibitorI didn't think they worked?

I am not sure if they work either...

But I know the Queen Mary parked down in Long Beach, has a low voltage DC current tied to it, to prevent rust and keep mollusks from adhering to it...

I wonder if it works the same way?

:_thinking

I guess you won't have to worry about barnacles growing on your VX

deermagnet
07/07/2006, 01:34 PM
They work great in metal buildings and ships because they're grounded to the land and sea. From what I've read, they can never work in vehicles without being grounded. It could be just another one of the thousands of products sold that do absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

I thought the zinc coating was on our body panels under the cladding only. If you get a rock chip down to bare metal it will rust. When I had hood damage from a deer, where there were creases and paint missing it rusted in 1-2 days.