PDA

View Full Version : Help with wiring custom front signals

KILNA
07/04/2006, 04:53 PM
I purchased a pair of these: http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product.asp?selcategory=53&p_gpID=181

Not from this store, but they have a decent description of them so I used them for the link. The set of turn signals I have are identical to these. These lights work with a constant 12v on one lead and the intermittent signal for blinking the lights on the second. I have them installed right now with just the blinking and ground leads connected but I have side effects:

1. My indicator is going about ~4hz when it was blinking at the normal ~1hz before.
2. Because the indicator is going so fast, all of the arrows don't light up, it only gets to about 3 of the 5 arrows.

It all works when I set the VX to emergency lights, but that doesn't help much. :)

SO my question is... where can tap into 12v in the front of the car, which is only on when the vehicle is running but doesn't depend on the headlights or parking lights (I want this to work in the daytime obviously). Any suggestions? I don't want to wire all the way back to the fusebox if possible.

Bonus question: I also need to replace one of my parking lamps, but I couldn't see how to get at them... suggestions...?

I'll post video of them working when I have them up and running properly.

Thanks!

etlsport
07/04/2006, 04:56 PM
tap into the cigarette lighter in the center console, at least in my vx, no key= no phone charging

as for the parking light, which are you talking about? the ones below the headlights, i just reached down behind the front bumper from the engine bay into the area behind the light, youll feel the socket, it works the same as the socket for the horn light at the top of the headlight, you just twist it a quarter turn or so and it will slide right out.... id replace them with 18w lights from malibu that you can find at home depot.. they are a jillion times brighter than the stock ones

rowhard
07/04/2006, 05:24 PM
It might be the flasher unit. I remember wiring a trailer light plug, and do to the extra apmhere, it doubled the flash speed. Just a thought.

KILNA
07/04/2006, 05:29 PM
I tried them with the third lead hooked directly to the battery's 12v and they worked properly without speeding up the blink. I just don't want to hook it directly to the battery since I'm sure it'll slow-drain it. Since the indicators are LED's they'll certainly draw less, but I know giving 12v to the third lead solves the problem, it's just a matter of where to get the juice from.

Also, I want to avoid having to route wires all the way back to the cabin of the vehicle if possible, since I'd have to find a spot to poke through the firewall, it'll look ugly and I know there's gotta be a good place to tap somewhere in the front of the car.

Thanks

etlsport
07/04/2006, 05:45 PM
theres a grommet through the firewall towards the top of the firewall on the drivers side, to the left of the master cylinder if i remember right, should come out behind the speedometer... thats all i can think of, you could look through the fuse box in the engine and see what you find, maybe power for the windshield wipers if you can find where it goes through before the switch

VehiX
07/06/2006, 08:38 AM
theres a grommet through the firewall towards the top of the firewall on the drivers side, to the left of the master cylinder if i remember right, should come out behind the speedometer...

I ran my fog light wires through the fire wall on the drivers side, if I'm not mistaken they came in to the cabin well below the speedo. It was a little above the break pedal if memory serves me. Was real easy to do and you can retain the rubber gromet without leakage.