PDA

View Full Version : lights inoperative

Modtodd82
07/04/2006, 04:09 PM
hi everybody, I just brought my VX home from Indianna yesterday and it was great, untill nightfall, when i found i had no intrument lights(gauge background/radio buttom/dimmer) and no tail/marker/parking lights. the headlights work fine,and brake & backup workfine, and my TOD - gear selected, etc work fine. I read through the previous posts, and switched the relays behind the LH kick panel, checked fuses, etc, wiggled the harness behind the headlamp, checked the dimmer plug,(though i havent used my circuit tester/or VOM to check for voltage yet - ill try that tomorrow when i can get to my tools at work) if anyone has any other suggestions, i'd appreciate hearing them. I had the same thing happen a number of years ago with a Chevy s-10 pickup i owned and it was the switch that was bad - is that a posibility on the VX. I was thinking that the first position(park/marker/dash) is not functioning, but the second position(i think just turns on only the headlamps-correct me if im wrong)seems to be working fine. Thanks in advance for any help.

etlsport
07/04/2006, 04:53 PM
do a search for dome lights too, i think there was a post that someone was having trouble with their dome light blowing out a fuse that also affected the tail/parking lights... even if its not a fuse it might give you a better idea about wiring

also you could check www.tonemonday.com and download the service manual for wiring diagrams to see where possible problems could be

Modtodd82
07/04/2006, 05:11 PM
the dome/door lamp work fine, but thanks for the suggestion....., i will go to tone's link and check it out.

Tone
07/04/2006, 06:22 PM
Dash lights out are typically the result of the dimmer switch coming unplugged. Actually pull the fuses out for the circuits and then place them back in after checking for continuity as well as for power in the fuse block itself. The circuits you describe are handled by at least 3 fuses if not more.

Modtodd82
07/05/2006, 04:03 AM
already checked the plug at the back of the dimmer switch, and all the fuses, & all looked fine. when i get to work I'll do a little more testing with my VOM and try to narrow it more. I'm still thinking its the off/parking/headlight switch.

Modtodd82
07/05/2006, 06:13 PM
the outside lights work when i arm/disarm the alarm-ive got power at the appropriate places in the fuse block, i've switched the relays in the kick panel & if i understand it right, the switch provides the ground to the light relay-i'm pretty sure at this piont i've got a bad switch......which brings me to a question. How do i remove the stalk/light switch??

Modtodd82
07/06/2006, 07:00 PM
Fixed at last, fixed at last!! Thank God almighty it's fixed at last. LOL!!
Thanks for everyones input, and Thanks Tone for the VX manual from your site. i was partially right-light switch..........wiring. Broken yellow wire from switch to connector block, man is that fine gauge wire, repaired with a jumper and some good solder joints with sealant and shrink wrap. Thanks again everyone. :p

IndianaVX
07/06/2006, 07:54 PM
modtodd,
hey, i cant help you much on the wiring, but was wondering if this was the vx from greensburg, indiana?? i only ask because i test drove the one for sale there, and checked the lights and they all worked. i know the odds are you bought a different one, but thought id share. where did you get the vx?? and indiana only has one "n" at the end.....
good luck, and congradulations,
and ALWAYS remember...........this too shall pass. youll figure it out, and you can go back to enjoying your ride
david

Modtodd82
07/07/2006, 03:56 AM
I got it from Sam Pierce Chevrolet in Daleville, which is between Fort Wayne and Indianapolis just off I69, they were great people to deal with. I would recomend them to anyone looking for a car. And they had some really neat stuff there. lots of older (50's to 70's) Corvettes. I have a nice 78 Silver Anniversary L82 4spd thats been in my garage for the last 5years. They had a 91 Z28 with police package, never been sold or registered, i think it had 87 miles on it, ......... they also had a super nice 67 Chevelle 396SS, just a lot of cool stuff. When I talked to them about my light problem, the service writer told me if i couldnt repair it myself take it to a dealer and they would reinburse me. I was really happy with them.