PDA

View Full Version : oil change

etlsport
06/29/2006, 07:55 AM
i wa sjust out trying to change my oil.. and cant for the life of me get the oil pan plug loose... anyone else have trouble with it/ what tools did you use to get it loose? looks like i might be headed up to home depot to get a new socket for the air ratchet

Ruflyf
06/29/2006, 08:04 AM
Hmm, cant remember what I used, but I dont recall having any major problems, an air ratchet sounds a lil extreme though. Maybe a good breaker bar?

etlsport
06/29/2006, 08:15 AM
i thought an air ratchet was a little much too... but using a 10" adjustable wrench with all the strength i could muster didnt budge it... then my roommate tried too with no luck and hes no stranger to the weight room.. so im not sure... i also sprayed a little WD40 on it jsut to see if that would do anything, but it didnt

hmmm i wonder if im going after the right plug!? i dont see any other plugs down there that are on a corner

kpaske
06/29/2006, 08:24 AM
It should be fairly obvious what plug to remove. If there is any doubt, you should d/l the shop manual online from Tone Monday's web site.

If you buy anything, I would agree with Ruflyf. A good quality breaker bar is not very expensive and will come in handy time and time again. I would get a 1/2" drive and a socket to fit your oil pan plug (I think it's 22 mm). You'd be surprised what another 4-6" of leverage will do for getting a tough bolt out. BIG difference!

Tone
06/29/2006, 09:36 AM
Leftie loosie, rightie tightie....

Joe_Black
06/29/2006, 09:43 AM
Put a little heat to it with a hand-held propane torch for about a minute or so, then let it cool and try again. Heating and cooling fasteners is a great way to get them to release as they'll expand and contract at different rates.

Then you need to replace it with a Fumoto Valve (http://www.fumotovalve.com/) so you won't have to use tools anymore for oil changes. ;)

jacobus
06/29/2006, 11:55 AM
take the wrench and tap the wrench with a rubber hammer lightly, if that does not work, use a metal hammer and tap it, the fibration should be able to loosen the plug.
good luck

VehiGAZ
06/29/2006, 12:00 PM
Put a blow torch to your oil pan!?!?!? That's a bit of a radical solution, isn't it?

Put that adjustable wrench away before it does any harm! They suck for most applications, in my book. I prefer to use a box-end hand wrench for sticky nuts and bolts...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Box-End_Wrench.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Box-End_Wrench.jpg)

I think that's the most secure and reliable wrench for high-torque applications. I've split sockets on stuck bolts before, and broken adjustable wrenches, too. Even a cheapo box wrench will not open up or turn out the corners on a bolt.

Good luck!

MZ-N10
06/29/2006, 12:00 PM
Leftie loosie, rightie tightie....
wat he siad....

etlsport
06/29/2006, 12:38 PM
thanks for all the replies.. im definately turning it to the left.. not sure why it would be so stuck... oh well, the oil filter was a pita to remove too.. guess the boys at the shop i got it changed at last were worried about leaks
ill try the suggestions when i get home tonight and hopefully will be full synthetic before bedtime! definately will be installing a fumoto valve as soon as i get the chance

Joe_Black
06/29/2006, 12:48 PM
A propane torch (not oxy-acetylene!) for about a minute isn't going to harm anything, especially if you apply the end of the flame directly end-on to the drain plug. Be sure to allow it to cool for about five minutes before removing. The heating/cooling cycle is what makes it break free.

A small piezo ignition propane torch is one of the most handy things you can have around the shop!

http://www.usa.rothenberger.com/typo3temp/pics/201fd25a77.jpg

Oh, if you have a six-point box end wrench or socket use that as it'll grip the bolt face the best and resist rounding of the corners.

Tone
06/29/2006, 01:03 PM
Put the closed end wrench on there and pop it with a hammer. Adjustables are bad for anything tight.

volume311
06/29/2006, 05:07 PM
I doubt he has a 22mm box end. Just go buy a socket and a ratchet + breaker bar = win. Get a long bar while you're at it and apply pressure slowly. Hopefully you won't shear the bolt.

etlsport
06/29/2006, 05:39 PM
right you are.. ive got a pretty good tool collection.. but alas.. only up to 19mm box end wrenches... i went out to buy a 22mm wrench.. advanced auto and autozone only had up to 19mm too... so i suppose ill be going to sears tomorrow

Tobert
06/29/2006, 06:45 PM
I got mine at Ace hardware for around 1/2 the price of the craftsman. Lowe's and Home Despot are charging just as much as Sears these days.

Those cheap MIT wrenches at some mega gas stations and flea markets can be had in full sets for less than one Craftsman wrench and would work fine for occasional/light use, too.

kpaske
06/30/2006, 09:36 AM
Craftsman is guaranteed for life and I don't think Sears is going out of business any time soon. In my opinion you're better off spending more now for something good that will last. In the long run it'll save you money AND headaches.

Just my 2 cents. ;Db;

Joe_Black
06/30/2006, 09:53 AM
Never skimp on tools. It's immoral.

etlsport
06/30/2006, 11:10 AM
yeah, im a craftsman guy through and through, id say about 80% of my tools are craftsman.. and i dont regret any of it, ive probably gotten $200 in replacement tools from sears, because of the warranty i dont have to worry about abusing any of them
ive also had some el-cheapo tools break on me.. resulting in trips to the hospital.. no good!

Ldub
06/30/2006, 12:19 PM
Words to live by:

Life's too short to buy cheapo tools...
or vodka
or beer
or C-gars
or...

;)

well, you get the idea.