PDA

View Full Version : Lifting

Nerve_Gas
06/28/2006, 02:50 PM
Ok got yet another question for whoever knows the answer (Triathlete I know you will reply to this first). Does anyone know what body lift will fit on the VX? I'm trying to clear 33's with articulation so I'm gonna want a 2 inch body lift (yes I already have a suspension lift).

kpaske
06/28/2006, 03:14 PM
Ha! I win. Well, not really because I don't know the answer to your question. I think there have only been a few people out there who've done body lifts as there is no kit available that's marketed for the VX. Those folks are running 35's or 36's. Not sure if you could use a Trooper kit, but are you sure you're going to need that much lift? I've got 33's with only a suspension lift and some trimming of the front wheel wells and to the best of my knowledge they've never rubbed (however I don't really do anything too spectacular off-road).

Nerve_Gas
06/28/2006, 04:06 PM
Well idealy I want to fit 36's but I also like articulation. I almost flipped in Uwharrie because I maxed my articulation and lifted a tire 3 and a half feet of the ground.

kpaske
06/28/2006, 04:21 PM
Here, check out this link (http://www.independent4x.com/generic46.html). If you scroll to the bottom there is a little bit of information about using an early model body lift kit on a late model Isuzu.

Also, if you are thinking of going larger than 33" you need to consider a gear swap. I believe the 5.38's are what you would be after, but I've heard some say that our IFS cannot handle such large tires and that anything over 33" would require a solid axle swap. I think 33 is kind of the "magic number" here, as anything bigger starts to require a lot more modification.

Incidentally, I'm researching a gear set for VX's with 33's (probably 4.77 or 4.88 ratio). I know this has been proposed a number of times to no avail, but there is obviously still demand if we can find someone to supply them. There is a company called Tera that makes a 5.38 gear set and I'm hoping that they might consider making a 4.88 if we can organize enough orders for a group buy.

Triathlete
06/28/2006, 10:36 PM
Dstruction (who has since sold his VX) used a modified Trooper body lift on his. He said it was a PITA. The bumper bars under the cladding had to be cut and rewelded to a higher position and other problems. Its NOT a straight bolt on type of thing. He was also running 36's. If you run 36's and do any kind of off roading you better practice changing axle shafts...because you will be doing it quite often (at least if you off road like I do). The 10 bolt is about at its limit with 33's.

Nerve_Gas
06/29/2006, 07:16 AM
Well that puts a damper on the project I guess I will stop at 33's.

Ldub
06/29/2006, 05:44 PM
Someone on another forum I frequent just posted that there is a calmini lift kit on e-bay for $300.-.
It's probably for a trooper & I don't know if it's body or suspension, but for $300.clams thought you might wanna take a look.

kpaske
06/30/2006, 09:44 AM
The Calmini kit is a suspension lift, but I've heard that the springs aren't nearly as good as the OME 912's. I believe most people here have gone with OME912's, longer rear shocks, cranked torsion bars, and a ball joint flip. Doing it this way also lets you select higher end shocks if you want. Poly spacers for the rear springs and ball joints are also available from Independent 4x, as well as bump stop extensions. I don't have any of those, although I would suggest at least the bump stop extensions for serious off-roaders.

Anyway, I just realized he already said he's lifted the suspension. Blah....

Nerve_Gas
06/30/2006, 05:38 PM
I've got the calmini 3" kit with bump stop extensions. it works great and its cheap