PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Wheel Bearings?

mrlegoman
06/27/2006, 07:54 PM
Installing new rotors and AutoZone is recommending that I replace wheel bearings while I'm at it. (~120K miles) Replacing the wheel bearings in my Honda required removing the spindles, a press, and an enitre weekend shot.
How bad are the ones on the Isuzu?

Joe_Black
06/27/2006, 08:08 PM
Basic hand tools with a regular bearing remover/installer set (Sears or Harbor Freight) will get it done. It's a truck! :p

Get a copy of the shop manual for your PC or ask and I'll post up the relative section.

Hotsauce
06/27/2006, 08:11 PM
They come out without much drama. You might need a punch and mallet to push one of the outer races out.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=56&Isuzu_Front_Bearing_Repack

John C.

kpaske
06/28/2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah, they're not too difficult. Make sure you read that Planet Isuzu article, and buy some extra screws for the hub nut ring as you will almost certainly strip them. I had to drill a few of mine out they stripped so bad. Like Joe said, you don't need any of the special tools (although a set of snap ring pliers might be nice). The hub nut tool isn't needed as you can use a hammer and screw driver to gently "tap" it loose.

If you've repacked your bearings at 30k, 60k, and 90k like you should have, you should be able to repack again, but if you've neglected them (like I did) you should defintely replace them. Take note of any blue discoloration on your axles where the bearings sit - they can become weakened from the heat of the bearings if they're not properly maintained. Also don't forget to replace your pads with the new rotors. Most long time site members prefer OEM pads. I've tried several premium aftermarket pads and they all seem to wear very quickly. Check out St.Charles Isuzu for a great deal on OEM parts.

If you run into any problems you can PM me as I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. It shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours, but I always start work like that on a morning where I don't have any place to be that day!

driver3
06/28/2006, 10:49 AM
and buy some extra screws for the hub nut ring as you will almost certainly strip them

I use an impact driver to pop them loose.. I've never had to replace one.. I can see how with a normal screwdriver they would get stripped though, I just did mine recently.. when you do the rotors you can repack the bearings... inspect them and they may not need to be replaced... I will say I have both the screws and the bearings in my toolbox in the event I need them

mrlegoman
07/03/2006, 02:40 PM
I'm still looking for my Mitchells CD....it's around here somewhere.
The VC belongs to my girlfriend. So 120K and no maintenance on the wheel-bearings what-so-ever. I can't even get her to check the oil. :rolleyes:

That Planet Isuzu article looks awesome, thanks to all!

mrlegoman
07/05/2006, 04:14 PM
No luck finding my Mitchell's CD. :(
Alright, planetisuzoo's guide seemed straight forward.
I'm off to Autozone, here's the checklist:

Inner & outer bearings
Grease Seal (or is this part of the inner bearing?)
Hub nut tool (modified Ford)
Seal Puller (what is this exactly?)
Spring scale

I'm a little unclear on the use of the spring scale, but I guess I can figure it out.

How are the rear hubs setup?