PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wipers

nfpgasmask
06/24/2006, 09:17 PM
OK, so I want new wipers. Mine squeak and make funny rubbing noises when I use them, even after I Rain-X the windshield. I don't know if I should just get new blades or buy whole new wipers. The arms that hold my blades are a little ratty looking. There is some paint loss and a little rust.

It looks like the left wiper is longer than the right one too. If I just buy blades does this pose an issue?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks - Bart

Ldub
06/24/2006, 09:26 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm relying on memory...
The wipers are 17" & 22".
I've used Bosch micro edge blades with good results.
Removing the wiper arms, sanding off the rust & scuffing the rest of the paint, then repainting is easy to do.

nfpgasmask
06/24/2006, 10:27 PM
Cool, thanks for the info.

Bart

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm relying on memory...
The wipers are 17" & 22".
I've used Bosch micro edge blades with good results.
Removing the wiper arms, sanding off the rust & scuffing the rest of the paint, then repainting is easy to do.

Ldub
06/24/2006, 10:29 PM
Check the "fitment computer" at the local Wal-Mart to be sure of those sizes.

Triathlete
06/24/2006, 10:32 PM
I believe your memory served you well!

Velvis
06/24/2006, 11:04 PM
I've had great luck with the Rain-X wipers here in moistureland, and the Rain-X wipes. Also, the price is right and available at Wal-Mart.

Velvis

WyrreJ
06/25/2006, 12:38 AM
I bought blades that were an inch or two longer than the officially recommended sizes and am happy with the extra coverage. Although I do prefer to rainx the windshield and just drive over 40mph (the minimum speed where the water tends to blow off the windshield) whenever possible.

mbeach
06/25/2006, 12:55 AM
You can pop the arms off of your wipers (mark their position first) and hit them with a shot of Krylon. It's pretty common for our trucks (imports in general for some reason) to lose the paint in that area.

I did mine a year ago with the same wheel paint that I ended up using on the Nissan rims.

I use Bosch Winter wipers (all year 'round). They have a rubber cover on them that keeps out the ice as well as protects them from trail debris (sticks, trees, spectators). They were still flexible at -50F.

VehiGAZ
06/25/2006, 10:42 AM
I just replaced my wiper inserts with OEM replacements (I have sworn off aftermarket insetrs, because they only last 3-4 months compared with 6-9 for OEM), and I have the same issue - on the up-wipe, they are chattering pretty bad, even with a lot of rain on the windshield. I think they will settle in with a little use, but who knows.

I'm a huge fan of Rain-Ex, too ("The faster you go, the better it works!"), but have recently switched to Rain-Ex brand wiper fluid. It's the milky orange stuff, and it works great! Hard to find, though. But basically, it refreshes your Rain-Ex finish whenever you use it. Good stuff!

nfpgasmask
06/25/2006, 11:00 AM
VehiGAZ, where did you get your OEM wipers? Merlin? I will probably do the paint over on the arms, but I still would like new blades.

Rain-X is awesome, but living in Chicago, I seldom get up to 40mph. It still helps tho.

I really want to move out west. I have been looking for a job in Reno for 5 months now. The job market still kinda sucks there tho...plus, I need to up my skillz.

Bart

I just replaced my wiper inserts with OEM replacements (I have sworn off aftermarket insetrs, because they only last 3-4 months compared with 6-9 for OEM), and I have the same issue - on the up-wipe, they are chattering pretty bad, even with a lot of rain on the windshield. I think they will settle in with a little use, but who knows.

I'm a huge fan of Rain-Ex, too ("The faster you go, the better it works!"), but have recently switched to Rain-Ex brand wiper fluid. It's the milky orange stuff, and it works great! Hard to find, though. But basically, it refreshes your Rain-Ex finish whenever you use it. Good stuff!

Spike
06/25/2006, 04:13 PM
I installed PIAA silicone wiper blades over 2 years ago.
And they are JUST barely starting to streak.

They came with a premoistened pad of glass treatment that is very similar to RainX ...

I have not used RainX on my windshield in the 3+ years I've had the truck, and I still get some beading.

I will be ordering a new pair soon.

BTW, how DO you pop off the wiper arms? I have never tried to do that before. One of mine has a bit of rust and I want to take care of it...

Thanks!

mbeach
06/25/2006, 04:31 PM
There's a cap at the base -it's plastic. You can fit a small screwdriver underneath it and pop it off.
Inside you'll see a nut, remove the nut and your wipers will lift right off. Again, make sure that you mark their position (see the splines) before you remove them. They are spring loaded, so it might be a good idea to cover your hood.

migil
06/25/2006, 08:36 PM
Someone on the Vmag forum recommended a brand of silicon blades which I purchased - A little pricey but they lasted over 2 years. Unfortunately when the time for replacing came I couldn't remember the brand, so I had to settle for lesser quality brand.

Does anyone by any chance remember what brand this was?

Tone
06/25/2006, 08:46 PM
They work extremly well here in 100 degree Texas as well sub zero South Dakota.
http://www.ableautoglass.com/Silblade/Silblade.htm

However, I have switched to the Bosch Icon and Valero recently due to what I consider a better design and am happy with them but have only been using them for about 6 months.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

http://www.autohausaz.com/html/wiper_blades_icon.html - I don't see a VX fitment on this web page but they are sold individually so you should be able to get ones to fit. FYI, you can go an inch longer than the stock length and still not have them hit one another.

Ruflyf
06/25/2006, 09:00 PM
I am happy with my valeros, but if I remember correctly the smaller size wasnt available, so had to bump up an inch or so

Beavertractors
06/25/2006, 10:27 PM
I have been using Rain-X since the 70s,Now I just use their washer fluid, and I use Ice on all the windows. I am using Trico? silicone wipers a little pricey but seem smooth on the upstroke. I get the Rain-X at Walmarts for $2-3 a gallon..Tony B

VehiGAZ
06/26/2006, 07:00 AM
Gasmask - I buy my OEM wiper inserts at my local dealer. They're not worth shipping from St Charles, MO.

My wife's Audi A3 came with those Valero wipers, I believe, and they've been good through the winter. I like their low profile - makes for very low wind resistance, so they still press the glass at 90+ mph. Is the blade on these made of rubber or silicone?