PDA

View Full Version : worn oil rings

dsinclair
06/24/2006, 07:37 AM
Hi! I've posted recently for oil consumption but I was advised to post with worn oil rings. If I drive more than 200 miles I have to put 2-3 quarts of oil in. I have a black tail pipe. I have no smoke coming out anywhere. This vehicle has never towed anything. I bought at 66,000 miles. I am now at 83,xxx. I have had it checked by a mechanic and they said when they opened up the engine it was clean. No oil anywhere. Been fighting with the warranty company for almost a year. They consider oil rings wear and tear parts. They will not help me. I was told to get it fixed out of pocket 4-6 thousand dollars and this was by a shop that does nothing but work on Japanese vehicles. I 've done the oil consumption test, cleaned the EGR tube, replaced PCV. The only thing that I'm not doing is using synthetic oil. Anyone have any advise? :confused: :mad:

Diana
Columbus, OH

Ldub
06/24/2006, 08:45 AM
Well, if worse comes to worse, here are a couple of possibilities.

RPM Rons Precision Machine (google RPM Rons Precision Machine)
1630 E. 2450 S. #214
St. George, UT 84790
(1-435-673-0724)

He sells re-manufactured short & long blocks.
His price for short block is $1504 + $75-100 shipping.

Also, there is a crate engine on E-bay (E-bay search: crate engine isuzu) for $3,399 + $149 shipping (3 yr. warranty)

You would still have to find someone to install...hope it doesn't come to that.

psychos2
06/24/2006, 08:52 AM
I would start by running a cleaner through the motor. I believe some have used sea foam. If that does not work I would try eliminating the pcv valve. I had an issue with consumption and stopped it by eliminating the pcv valve. Take the hose off the pcv valve and plug the end. Get a piece of hose to go on the pcv valve and put a breather in the other end. I got one from the auto parts store for $10. shawn

VehiX
06/24/2006, 11:36 AM
I would start by running a cleaner through the motor. I believe some have used sea foam. If that does not work I would try eliminating the pcv valve. I had an issue with consumption and stopped it by eliminating the pcv valve. Take the hose off the pcv valve and plug the end. Get a piece of hose to go on the pcv valve and plug put a breather in the other end. I got one from the auto parts store for $10. shawn

Got a pic? Also, what are the benifits of doing this? I've seen it done on the Probe GT but was never really sure why?

mbeach
06/24/2006, 05:25 PM
I would start by running a cleaner through the motor. I believe some have used sea foam. If that does not work I would try eliminating the pcv valve. I had an issue with consumption and stopped it by eliminating the pcv valve. Take the hose off the pcv valve and plug the end. Get a piece of hose to go on the pcv valve and plug put a breather in the other end. I got one from the auto parts store for $10. shawn

I never did hear how this worked out -it sounds like a good fix. It's been awhile so the long term is good too.
Is that breather getting any oil in it?

psychos2
06/24/2006, 08:32 PM
I had a problem with oil consumption ,approx. 1 qt per 1000 miles, sometimes more. I changed the pcv valve and it would go away until the valve stuck again. So the only real benefit for me was to stop the oil consumption problem. The problem is due to the lack of or poor design of the baffles in the valve cover.The baffles keep the intake from sucking in oil when the pcv valve is open. I will try to post a pic soon.

mbeach, I have not checked it but I wll and let you know. shawn

VehiGAZ
06/26/2006, 07:17 AM
Sorry to break it to you Diana, but worn piston rings are definitely a wear-and-tear item. If an engine was abused during break-in, then down the road (like 50k miles down the road) it is likely to start burning oil which gets around the rings (which are not seated well).

You won't see the oil smoke, because there will be so little of it, and it will mostly occur during hard acceleration when your eyes are (hopefully) pointed forward. This occured on my Prelude SH - I beat on that engien good and hard early on in its life, and by the time it was over 100k miles, it was burning a quart or two between changes.

Using a heavier-weight oil may cut down on the consumption a little, but mostly the damage is done.

$4-$6k for a ring job is an absolute rip-off - that's several times the cost of a new engine, as has been pointed out! Find another garage and get another estimate closer to $1500. And I hate to have to suggest this, but bring a guy with you and have him do the talking - the automotive service industry is notorious for trying to rip off women with unnecessary work and outrages prices. The lies mechanics and service writers tell my wife are just shameful!

An engine rebuild will do wonders for your VX. And that will still be cheaper than getting a new crate engine and having it installed.

dsinclair
06/29/2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Vehigaz! I have received some really good advice since I joined this site. Just to let you know, my daddy didn't raise no dummy. My father was a mechanic for 30 yrs. I don't know everything but I know when smoke is being blown up my skirt.

dsinclair

Ldub
07/03/2006, 09:09 AM
BUMP for skyote. :)

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/03/2006, 09:53 AM
Food for Thought:

http://www.powerpro2000.com/lb_isuzu_about.htm

I don't know anything about these guys....just thought I would post in case there's any interest.
:fyi:

mrlegoman
07/04/2006, 11:12 AM
I would start by running a cleaner through the motor. I believe some have used sea foam. If that does not work I would try eliminating the pcv valve. I had an issue with consumption and stopped it by eliminating the pcv valve. Take the hose off the pcv valve and plug the end. Get a piece of hose to go on the pcv valve and put a breather in the other end. I got one from the auto parts store for $10. shawn
Also burning 1q every 1K. What are the bennifits/problems with eliminating the pcv valve?