PDA

View Full Version : NON-VX Question

XCross69
06/19/2006, 05:23 AM
I have a Honda and I noticed over the weekend that the inside of the front driver wheel has been coated with what looks like grease (has a greenish tint to it). It is clear something has broken but can you guys give me a heads up of what it might be? Someone has already mentioned axel? :confused:

Joe_Black
06/19/2006, 06:14 AM
Could be a wheel bearing or axle seal, but you'd need to have a live axle to lose lubricant if an axle seal and Hondas typically don't have live axles. Maybe jack that corner off the ground and grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions to see if it has a lot of play. If so you've got a really loose wheel bearing that could also be responsible for the leakage.

Tobert
06/19/2006, 06:50 AM
Check your CV boots. If they crack, they can throw grease and every CV I've ever replaced had greenish grease in it.

XCross69
06/19/2006, 07:59 AM
Just got a call from the local shop where I dropped the car off this morning. They claim both front axles are bad and need to be replaced. This is when I hate not being car smart! When I walked in and told them what the deal was two guys at the same time said "axle"! I though, sh*t they are totally going to put the screws to me...anyway, $159 per axle and I believe I get a whopping 10% discount from working where I do. They also wanted to do an "induction service?" for $99.00, I passed on that...

Tobert
06/19/2006, 02:18 PM
$159/axle isn't a terrible rate for the labor. It's a pretty good deal if it includes parts.

Induction service? Perhaps that's when they grease the muffler bearing and top off the blinker fluid.

Maugan_VX
06/19/2006, 02:51 PM
yeah that ain't to bad.

alot is involved in replacing those. It doesn't seem like much when you start but by the time you're sitting on the garage floor, covered with grease, trying to find those damn screws that go into the hub ... you wonder why the hell you didn't just take it to the shop.

XCross69
06/19/2006, 04:42 PM
This is what gets me...they got the parts at a local O'Rielly, if I walked in and got the two axles they would charge me $59.99 each....but the place I took my car to charged $89.99 each for them. A $30.00 mark up per axle...is this sh*t right?

Chopper
06/19/2006, 05:25 PM
50% is steep- we go more like 25, still a deal,regardless. " Induction service" is most likely cleaning the butterfly with a can of carb cleaner... something you can do yourself. It can help the idle. I don't know about Isuzu motors , but the ford 4.6 V8 has a regular need of cleaning. Ford finally issued a T.S.B/ about it some time back. Pull the intake snorkel, fiddle around with the metal flippy plate on the engine... if you see alot of carbon(the black crap) built up on the edges and back... squirt with carb cleaner till clean. reassemble... drink 40 bucks worth of beer... put 60 in bank or tank,your choice. wayne

Ldub
06/19/2006, 05:36 PM
fiddle around with the metal flippy plate on the engine... if you see alot of carbon(the black crap) built up on the edges and back...wayne

Wayne,
Must you always try to baffle us non-"industry insiders" with your high tech mumbo jumbo ??? :laughp: :laughy: :laugho:

Chopper
06/19/2006, 05:57 PM
I talk to customer types all day, I'll try to keep it simple in the future.