PDA

View Full Version : A big Mod...

BigDave
06/07/2006, 01:07 PM
Hi
I have a real nice red ’98 JDM VX (Auckland NZ), done 70km and go’n well. I love it to death but the mechanics of the VX in general look to be a little fragile. If I run into any of the problems detailed on this site I’m thinking of quitting the whole power unit and putting in one of the newer Isuzu 2.8L diesels with a 5 speed box and manual 4x4 transfer case. Really simple, bullet proof, and who needs TOD anyway, nothing a little toe on the brake won’t do. This unit is used in the JDM Mu/Wisard and the Aussie Holden utes and is available down here in small numbers.

Appreciate any comments, am I crazy, or could this work ?

Joe_Black
06/07/2006, 02:09 PM
The VX is based on the short-wheelbase Trooper/Jackeroo, so you should be looking at the 4JG2 3.0L setup. The TOD is simply a computer-controlled transfer case that is pretty tough, no one here to my knowledge has had any issues with it. From the research I've been doing on just such a swap it should mate to the Aisin 5-speed.

moon buggy
06/07/2006, 03:18 PM
In view of recent petrol pricing ..now $1.32 / litre..thats just wrong !!, :mad: Altho diesel is the same price but VX in diesel would have to do 24-25 mpg [11-12L/100kms]..you'd think :confused:

David In Oz

mbeach
06/07/2006, 04:52 PM
From the research I've been doing on just such a swap it should mate to the Aisin 5-speed.

Which one..?

Diesel conversion would be way cool -but keep the TOD. The more I get into it, the more impressed with it I am.

Joe_Black
06/07/2006, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure of the model, but it's the same tranny that's in the overseas Trooper/Jackeroos and IIRC the late-model 5-speeds here.

Jay Dunford
06/08/2006, 04:18 AM
Just a heads up on dumping the TOD. The US models (not sure about the JDM) have the ABS sensors going through the TOD computer under the passenger seat. If that is unplugged the ABS light will light up on the dash and disable the system.

Tobert
06/08/2006, 08:06 AM
So, am I hearing that there is a manual transmission out there than can be coupled with our TOD?

I would love to find a manual & parts to keep on hand for a swap in my VX if the auto ever goes. I mean, mine does appear have the hole for the clutch rod in the firewall.

Did any of the JDM's come with manual as an option?

Joe_Black
06/08/2006, 08:19 AM
Isuzu doesn't manufacture anything they don't have to, so you'll find many parts and assemblies common throughout their line-up. For example, the hydraulic clutch pedal assembly mounts right up in a VX as our pedal hangers are the same as in the Trooper.

Remember also that the VX rally vehicles had 5-speed trannies with TOD that was manually adjustable for torque split.

As for manuals, just pick up a CD copy for a late model European Trooper from eBay which usually includes the domestic-spec VehiCROSS as well. I got one and it's great, as well have a few others here on the forum.

The only thing really unique about the VX from an Isuzu standpoint is the sheet metal. Almost everything else under our unique shell is from the Isuzu light-truck parts bin.

As the owner of (now 4) Merkur XR4Ti cars I learned long ago to never tell a parts person what I had as they'd either laugh or look stupider, so I use what shares common parts such as the Mustang SVO or Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Same thing with the VX, I just use the same Trooper or Rodeo parts. Usually that makes it much cheaper and incredibly easy to get.

I don't need to impress a parts supplier with the fact I've got a VX, that just shocks my wallet! :p

BigDave
06/10/2006, 01:30 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the thoughts, enough to look at it seriously, now I'll look for a 4JG2 power unit and gearbox. Keep you all posted on developments.

Cheers..... :)

mbeach
06/10/2006, 06:45 PM
Remember also that the VX rally vehicles had 5-speed trannies with TOD that was manually adjustable for torque split.

I was sure of this as well, but the only pictures that I could find were of the "Geolandar" baja VX. It has the 4 position switch for the TOD, but it has an automatic trans -you can make out the pan in a few of the pics.

The white "rally" VX is a manual, but I don't see any TOD controller.

Joe_Black
06/10/2006, 07:10 PM
I was trying to buy a rally-prepped one in Japan a while back and had some good pics from the seller that showed the control on the console. If I can find the pics again (recent HDD crash) I'll post.

NYVX
10/05/2006, 05:32 PM
Just a heads up on dumping the TOD. The US models (not sure about the JDM) have the ABS sensors going through the TOD computer under the passenger seat. If that is unplugged the ABS light will light up on the dash and disable the system.

saw on other thread concerns about damageto tod using factory spare tire...is this the way around possible damage if I ever get flat?...how accessable is plug?

etlsport
10/06/2006, 08:35 AM
in the owners maunal it says to make sure youre spare is on the front wheels (ie if you blow a rear tire, take the front tire, put it where the blown rear tire was and put the spare in the front) that should cut down on the stress on the TOD but you still shouldnt drive any more than you possibly have to with the spare on... isuzu wouldnt have included a spare that was going to damage the vehicle when used

nfpgasmask
10/06/2006, 10:17 AM
Joe, what model/year Isuzu trucks have a lot of interchangable parts? How far back can you go into the Trooper/Rodeo/Amigo line and still find swappable parts? Or should you stick with 99-01 trucks?

Bart

The only thing really unique about the VX from an Isuzu standpoint is the sheet metal. Almost everything else under our unique shell is from the Isuzu light-truck parts bin.

As the owner of (now 4) Merkur XR4Ti cars I learned long ago to never tell a parts person what I had as they'd either laugh or look stupider, so I use what shares common parts such as the Mustang SVO or Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Same thing with the VX, I just use the same Trooper or Rodeo parts. Usually that makes it much cheaper and incredibly easy to get.

I don't need to impress a parts supplier with the fact I've got a VX, that just shocks my wallet! :p

kpaske
10/06/2006, 10:59 AM
BigDave - I am very seriously contemplating a diesel swap into my VX as we speak. I think Joe is onto something with the 4JG2/Aisin combo. I am currently trying to assemble a parts list, and I'm talking to another guy who wants to drop a diesel into his Amigo. If you want to, drop me a PM with your favorite e-mail address and maybe I'll make up a short mailing list or something so that we can share info. Of course, feel free to share in the forum also! Also, be sure to check in over at Pirate4x4 and PlanetIsuzoo as there are many knowledgable Non-VX Isuzu owners lurking on both of those sites.

NFP - from what I've seen, they interchange parts all over the place. The VX uses lots of parts from Troopers, Rodeos and Amigos. It would be great if there were a cross-reference list somewhere, but for now I think the easiest thing to do is ask a junkyard or parts store or mechanic about a specific part, and ask with what other Isuzus the part cross-references. As for how far back? They've been doing this for a long time, so some parts from 20 years ago could still be used in the VX.

evorent
10/26/2006, 05:36 PM
BigDave - I am very seriously contemplating a diesel swap into my VX as we speak. I think Joe is onto something with the 4JG2/Aisin combo. I am currently trying to assemble a parts list, and I'm talking to another guy who wants to drop a diesel into his Amigo. If you want to, drop me a PM with your favorite e-mail address and maybe I'll make up a short mailing list or something so that we can share info. Of course, feel free to share in the forum also! Also, be sure to check in over at Pirate4x4 and PlanetIsuzoo as there are many knowledgable Non-VX Isuzu owners lurking on both of those sites.

NFP - from what I've seen, they interchange parts all over the place. The VX uses lots of parts from Troopers, Rodeos and Amigos. It would be great if there were a cross-reference list somewhere, but for now I think the easiest thing to do is ask a junkyard or parts store or mechanic about a specific part, and ask with what other Isuzus the part cross-references. As for how far back? They've been doing this for a long time, so some parts from 20 years ago could still be used in the VX.

you can get chep engines and parts from east europen coutry

isuzu trooper engine 3,1TDi with manual tran. 1000$ + 200$ shipping
isuzu trooper engine 2,8TDi with manual tran. 800-900$ + 200$shipping
-//- 2,3TD from 500$
let me know if you need