PDA

View Full Version : New to VX... have some general questions.

VXciter
04/19/2003, 06:35 PM
Hey all,

My wife and I just picked up a 99 VX. I haven't gotten an owners manual on it yet so I've got some basic questions.

It has 32K miles on it and I'd like to switch it over to a synthetic motor oil... any issues with this and what grade is recommended in warmer weather?

The transfer case/drivetrain... when do you drive in D and when do you drive in 3rd? Transfer case seems simply.. high is for normal and low when you need it. Shift into 4L in park or neutral I'm guessing?

What effect does the winter/power modes have on the car... I'm doubtful it will ever see winter mode in Florida... but power might be useful :)

I must say it is one awesome ride... I gave up my 96 LT4 corvette for the VX and so far have been very pleased... even if the wife is driving it more then me :)

Thanks all, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I get into it.

Jim

Moncha
04/19/2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by VXciter
Hey all,

Hi there!

My wife and I just picked up a 99 VX. I haven't gotten an owners manual on it yet so I've got some basic questions.

Congratulations! We all have questions at the start

It has 32K miles on it and I'd like to switch it over to a synthetic motor oil... any issues with this and what grade is recommended in warmer weather?

Can't help you here, I good ol' fossil stuff

The transfer case/drivetrain... when do you drive in D and when do you drive in 3rd? Transfer case seems simply.. high is for normal and low when you need it. Shift into 4L in park or neutral I'm guessing?

I use 3rd for in city and d (4th) on the Highway.. Keeps it form shifting so much out of the overdrive

What effect does the winter/power modes have on the car... I'm doubtful it will ever see winter mode in Florida... but power might be useful :)

Winter button makes the tranny lock into 3rd for starting out then shifts normally once you get going. Power Button raises the rpms that the tranny shifts at keeping you in the torque band for "more power" you can find more answers to your questions in the FAQ Section (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/misc.php?action=faq&page=5)

I must say it is one awesome ride... I gave up my 96 LT4 corvette for the VX and so far have been very pleased... even if the wife is driving it more then me :)

Thanks all, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I get into it.

Bring 'em on! That's what the forum is for!

Jim

Again welcome!!

nocturnalVX
04/19/2003, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the club!

james1_10018
04/24/2003, 12:40 PM
May I kindly interupt here, I think Vxciter was asking about the 4H and 4L shifting.
The 4L is when you need max traction. You only do that when you are crawlng or stuck somewhere.
On 4H this is when the system is on Auto / torque on demand. The system will move the front wheels as required .
In short leave your transfer case on 4H all the time unless you a stuck

TimG
04/24/2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by VXciter
Shift into 4L in park or neutral I'm guessing?

You put it in neutral to shift the transfer case.

Anita
04/24/2003, 02:49 PM
Find a manual.... anyone here got a spare?

niv_d
04/24/2003, 09:48 PM
First of all, Congrats!
As a Floridian, you defiantly should try to show up on our next meet, end of June up in Ocala. Check up the event page for more info in the near future. You’re sure to meet grate bunch of people who share the same passion for one little truck/SUV. Take a look at the pictures from the last meet in GA if you want to get the feel of it. :D :D
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=536&thumb=1