PDA

View Full Version : TOD & low 4wd noise!!!

anut
06/03/2006, 09:37 PM
Have Jap 99 model , when in tod or lo 4wd it makes a noise like a grinding dry bearing , it has been to the diff shop and a trans shop and neither of them have been able to fix it , new bearings in front diff and nothing found wrong in tx case , any suggestions where to look next!!
point of interest! ****tx has very basic tod system , no electro magnetic variable clutch as posted on many web sites , but a 3 ball cam plate activates clutch pack to progressivley engage front end the meore slip is present. the trans shop said it was very agricultural after expecting a modern can of worms was plesently surprised how "Basic" it was! And front diff only had valve acutated coupler on left axle and no other samrts in there either! Frankly a little dissapointed re write ups I have read prior to purchasing it, saying it was a complex tod system....wrong!

any way , if anyone has had a noise 4wd prob .please help as to where to look next , 2 wd is fine.
Thanks.

mbeach
06/04/2006, 12:47 PM
You're front axle disconnect is the same as the TOD Trooper/Rodeos (Bighorn/something). We envy that feature.

As for the TOD, all VXs should have the same BorgWarner model -look under your seats, is there a computer-looking module down there? Do you have a progressive torque display on your cluster?

The ball-ramp clutch mechanism is present on all of our trucks, the e-clutch only modulates the torque split. I'd be very surprized if you do not have this feature.

How did you come upon this VehiCross -was it a former rally car..?

anut
06/04/2006, 11:38 PM
HI Thanks for reply, yes have tod display on dash,dont have vehicle to look at right now as at trans shop again! If I have an elect clutch, where is it????! ( trans case I assume ) have seen the unit ( trans case ) totally dismantled on a wkshop bench in prts , and all it had was the clutch pack operated off the 3 ball cam plates, 3 or 4 sensors and not even any wiring for an elect clutch, the trans guy was also surprised! he said it was very agricultural! looing at it , it all seeme to work off that cam plate loading up when slip was present in forward or reverse and in low 4wd it was over rode, so i assume the torque was also progressively applied to the front drive when the cam plate rode up the balls and applied pressure to the clutch pack, no elects there!( Beleieve me I was very keen to see how it all worked when it was all apart on the bench , and rather dissappointed, although it looks fairly basic and that can be a good thing in the out back!
All the front diff had was a disconnect for the front axle, but that only seemed to disconnnect front left axle not the rest , in my mind wouldn't that run up the spider gears in the diff due to other axle rotating from right wheel? I hoped when it came back from the diff shop it was a goer....but no! now at a loss! can you explain to me how the disconnect does work on the axle? does the font diff turn all the time even in 2wd? if so this must put undue wear on the spider gears in the diff. :) ?

no i dont think it was a rally one, this is a fresh import from Japan to new Zealand i am in the procedure of purchasing it , have been waiting for 2 months now while they try to get rid of that noise!

if any one has any ideas as to where to look next i would be very greatful!

You're front axle disconnect is the same as the TOD Trooper/Rodeos (Bighorn/something). We envy that feature.

As for the TOD, all VXs should have the same BorgWarner model -look under your seats, is there a computer-looking module down there? Do you have a progressive torque display on your cluster?

The ball-ramp clutch mechanism is present on all of our trucks, the e-clutch only modulates the torque split. I'd be very surprized if you do not have this feature.

How did you come upon this VehiCross -was it a former rally car..?

mbeach
06/05/2006, 08:54 AM
I'm not really Trooper/Bighorn smart, but their front axle disconnect is on the left side as well. Some US Trooper owners have added Aisin manual locking hubs in order to reduce wear on the front differential while driving in 2wd mode.

There are detailed drawings of the TOD transfer case on the VehiCross maintenance CD, it is available from Tone's website. Download, save (burn it to a disc), then open it and check it out.

It's a simple transfer case, with the addition of the solenoid clutch -I wonder if your's is there? The unit would (in theory) still work, even if the e-clutch had been removed. It won't have the 'smarts' of the TOD computer however.

Tell me, when you accelerated from a stop (briskly -as if there's another way..), did the TOD display briefly go to 50/50? Or did it go the 15/85 and stay there?

I'm at work, and without my manuals, so I can't tell you what wires and connectors to look for.

anut
06/07/2006, 12:31 AM
hI sorry for delay , the dash display under hard accell goes all the way up , under mild accel it goes partial, had another test ride in it yesterday and it was all looking good for a few minutes then there was a wee clunk when he accelerated in tod and then the tod would only go full scale after that!? I think it is a friday car if you know what i mean , also found since stuffed front shock $1034 to replace. display on head unit wont go, now window regulator also is stuffed, there is a list of things to get right on the vehicle , but the main is the trans. case or tod.
if they cant get it sorted, may be looking for another yet? pity its a nice unit overall and Ltd model.

mbeach
06/07/2006, 08:25 AM
The window motor is a common fault, and the fix can be found here. Joe Black is working on a permanant fix right now.
Scrap the stock shock absorbers -after 2 VehiCrosses, I have found them to be more hype than anything -plus a brand-new front shock is as rare as an honest politician. Buy the Bilstein 5100 series replacements, you can pick up all 4 for less than the cost of 1 of the factory KYBs.
The stereo is usually long gone on vehicles of this age. Most members have replaced it with a superior aftermarket unit by now.
As for the TOD, does the connector on the TOD unit (under your seat) look like this:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/TODview.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/TODview.JPG)
Look very closely at the location and color of the wires.
If they are the same, I can walk you and your mechanic through some TOD troubleshooting.

BigDave
06/14/2006, 11:44 AM
Hi,
How is it going ? You truck'n again yet ?

Good luck......