PDA

View Full Version : Recaro Seat option?

mbeach
06/02/2006, 03:43 PM
I'm annoyed by our seatbelts, and while surfing eBay I found these:
http://i7.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/45/5c/2c_0.JPG

Item description here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ion-Redline-Cobalt-SS-Recaro-seats-Ebony-leather_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33701QQitemZ807 0287222QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

They are the factory seats for a Saturn Ion Redline -they are the same as our seats (Recaro Trend model).
But look at the seatbelt retainer -we need this, it would do a good job of keeping the belt buckle from getting slammed in the doors and subsequently cracking the door panels.

Anybody know someone with an Ion that we can test fit?

Moncha
06/02/2006, 04:04 PM
I got a Saturn dealer right by my office.. Hmmmmmm Maybr I'll pop in and check em out... That would ba a cool feature and should cost too much if the retainer could be had by itself.

MZ-N10
06/02/2006, 07:27 PM
yea tats pretty cool...i hate how the seatbelt is

Ruflyf
06/02/2006, 07:42 PM
so thats what causes the crack in the door panelnear the lock post? I always assumed it was from pulling the inside door handle to close the door.

Knigh7s
06/03/2006, 04:14 AM
I noticed that too. When I bought my VX, I had scratches all over the inside part of the door sill. And one day I went to close my door and i heard a loud crack sound and turned to notice my door was still opened. Finding the seat belt was pinched in between. My friends car has the stock Recaro's with the seat belt retainer. I was actually about to fab one up that connects to the headrest posts. hmm I'll wait and see what Moncha finds first.

psychos2
06/03/2006, 07:46 AM
I solved the problem by using the plastic slider that is already on the seatbelt. If it is up high enough it keeps the metal part of the seatbelt from being closed in the door. shawn

etlsport
06/03/2006, 07:48 AM
some mustangs (94-99s i think) have seat belt holder on the shoulder of the seat that attaches to the headrest post (or maybe its the piece that holds the headrest in place) either way it would more than likely be fairly easy to modify to fit.. im headed to a junk yard in search of a shift boot in an hour or so, if i can find one ill see what i can do and report back

CSTYLES
06/03/2006, 01:03 PM
Notice how these have a lever to recline the back rest and not the knobs like ours. Personally, I get the worst cramps contorting my wrist to turn the knob in the little space there is.

etlsport
06/04/2006, 09:38 AM
it probably wouldnt be that hard to attach these.. maybe a peice of plastic that fits around both headrest posts then attaches to the clip
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=RSH19+01
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ProdImages/RSH19-B.jpg (http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ProdImages/RSH19-B.jpg)

mbeach
06/04/2006, 12:24 PM
I solved the problem by using the plastic slider that is already on the seatbelt. If it is up high enough it keeps the metal part of the seatbelt from being closed in the door. shawn

Those plastic sliders were add-ons, like the strap to hold up the back seat. It's another case of engineering coming to the rescue of bad design -our seats are too wide for the cabin. The sliders were put there to prevent the male portion of the buckle from getting slammed in the door -however, they only work for fat people or short people.

The plastic slider needs to be moved if you want to pull the horizontal portion of the belt tight. If you are skinny, or you have the seat all the way back, there's not enough slack on the belt to position that slider in the right place to locate the buckle when the belt is fastened AND when the belt is off.

Something like this will make getting in the back seat (if you have one) nearly impossible, but it will hold the belt up closer to the front seat, away from the door.

EDIT: OT: It's snowing. In June. I hate Fairbanks' weather.

psychos2
06/04/2006, 07:38 PM
Those plastic sliders were add-ons, like the strap to hold up the back seat. It's another case of engineering coming to the rescue of bad design -our seats are too wide for the cabin. The sliders were put there to prevent the male portion of the buckle from getting slammed in the door -however, they only work for fat people or short people.

The plastic slider needs to be moved if you want to pull the horizontal portion of the belt tight. If you are skinny, or you have the seat all the way back, there's not enough slack on the belt to position that slider in the right place to locate the buckle when the belt is fastened AND when the belt is off.

I disagree, I have had my vx for many years and have never had to move the plastic slider for anyone to sit in the seat and buckle the belt with the seat all the way back. This includes my niece that is in 2nd grade. So the slider does work and does it very well. IMHO shawn

MIDN USNA
06/04/2006, 09:27 PM
Notice how these have a lever to recline the back rest and not the knobs like ours. Personally, I get the worst cramps contorting my wrist to turn the knob in the little space there is.

I find this far more important than the seat belt bracket. I hate those wheels and am starting to wear my seats out where i slide in and out. This is certainly a viable option for new seats.