PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Ebony 377

Velvis
05/30/2006, 06:49 PM
Got the bad news today -- VX is totaled. (See "Had a bad day" thread) First estimate was that it was repairable, then they found more damage in the wheel well. Now I have to go out to "disenmodificate" the corpse - tire and wheel swap, rear cam/mirror monitor, XM, trans interceptor, VX badge, K&N, Denso plugs, etc... Gee, it only took a few months to get all this stuff on, now I have to get it off pretty quick.
The driver of the runaway impact target vehicle was 21, and believe it or not, INSURED! He was found and ticketed for improper turn. Still don't know why he ran.
This was VX number 2. My first was a '99 ebony that I traded for a Tacoma and regretted the loss. 377 was a lease turn-in in near perfect shape and about 25k miles. She'll be sorely missed, but I think I'm moving on to VX number 3 (hello, Joe Black???). I'm infected with the VX bug.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/sad_velvis.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/sad_velvis.JPG)
velvis

Andrey
05/30/2006, 06:52 PM
this is easily repairable...hood $345, radiator, battery,headlight, front bumper - OK another $1,500 plus labor... why are they totalling our VXs ??? Mine was totalled also just recently but I hope to fix him and keep.

IndianaVX
05/30/2006, 08:12 PM
what wil you sell the corpse for? let me know...leaving it like factory, you taking your options.....or are you going to keep it for YOUR parts truck??
thanks
david

Velvis
05/30/2006, 08:49 PM
I haven't decided what to do yet. I'd like to keep for parts or projects, but space is an issue -- I have a two car garage filled with kid bikes, sports equip on one side and a mostly rehabbed '78 911 on the other. Our drivers sit outside with the '73 450 sl. I would prefer that the VX stays in the "community" rather than rust in a junkyard or go to the crusher.
I don't know why they totaled it either. The guy at the shop made a more than valiant effort -- when he couldn't get factory parts he found used. He said he was able to find everything needed, but the repair went over 75% of the value, thus, totaled.
I'll do more research tomorrow and get back to you. Meanwhile, my rental disappears Monday. The Anti-VX. The evil opposite of the VX. Big, white, cushy, ability to see what's behind you without a camera, still in production... You know, all the things we hate...
velvis

Commando
05/30/2006, 08:52 PM
Velvis, I feel your pain. 377 hadn't even reached her prime before being ruthlessly culled from our VX family. I'd nail that sucker for all he's got and follow Andrey's suggestion and get busy bringing your baby back from the abyss. My Proton (code name Deerhunter) wacked a bambi hard enough to wrinkle both fenderwell and firewall, badges of honor she still wears. She survived but did get bestowed with a salvage title. Same for Wyldweasel and the Copper Bullet, which took out a fence and got salvaged out. New hood, a good deal of pounding and straightening and the Bullet was back on the road, but awarded the scarlet "S" for all the trouble.
One might get the feeling that the insurance companies just don't want to be bothered by what they consider the lunatic fringe. Drive something out of the ordinary and your are begging to be totaled 'cause they don't want the hassle of fixing veicles with production numbers less than a Camry. My beloved Saab SPG went that way after some cretin deceided to change lanes without looking. She was more concerned about what her husband was gonna say rather than the condition of my spouse or my car. My company (Safeco) subrogated the deal with her company and totaled the SPG without a thought and lowballed me in the process. Lesson learned (other than not dealing with Safeco) is to be a pain in the butt, don't settle, and don't let them get away with brushing you under the carpet.
Rant over. Now, call Merlin and have him send a new hood and headlight, find a trustworthy body shop and get that VX back on the road. You can do it and we're all pulling for ya! :jump:

Ruflyf
05/30/2006, 09:08 PM
That really sucks, I was looking foreward to driving over there check out the vx and your restraunt...guess I'll have to wait a bit now. Good luck with it all.

nfpgasmask
05/31/2006, 09:57 AM
If you are going to sell any parts from it, please let me know. I have an 2001 Ebony and there is a nasty dent in the rear hatch door panel just above the spare tire small cladding piece. I want to swap it with a non dented panel piece.

Sorry about your loss.

Bart

volume311
05/31/2006, 01:04 PM
Get rid of the front cladding since it's farked and replace it with a bad-*** steel bumper

Velvis
05/31/2006, 03:49 PM
Ok, here's the deal. Spent the afternoon "disenmodificationizing" poor 377. I can keep her, but I don't have time or space to part her out. Based on the ins co offer, it will cost any of you $4000 to buy the carcass plus my storage cost and you will have to arrange delivery. Since the clock is ticking with body shop/ State Farm and my rental (the Anti-VX), I need a firm commitment by 8am tomorrow. 45000 miles, Mobil 1/all synthetics, ran K&N, Denso Iridium, etc. If I don't hear anything from y'all, SF auctions all totals locally with Copart, you need a license to bid. Once auctioned, it's off to a yard or rebuilt as a salvage title.

Otherwise, I'm going to look at new stuff (the horror) and VX's. SF has been quick and fair with their offer. The body man found all of the parts needed, the problem was a rip between the firewall and wheel housing. The possibility of hidden damage and already at 73% of value pushed it into total land. Probably wouldn't have happened to a CRX or Santa Fe, but that seems to be the price we pay for this unique vehicle.

velvis

note custom Vienna Velocity Stack (thanks, unknown nut-jockey!)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/DSC02504.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC02504.JPG)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/DSC02510.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC02510.JPG)

Joe_Black
05/31/2006, 05:40 PM
How about a trade for your Ebony towards my Dragon? Sounds like a win-win to me. ;)

Velvis
05/31/2006, 06:27 PM
You may be ridin' my wave, daddy-o. Lemme think on it, I'll PM.

velvis

Velvis
06/01/2006, 12:49 AM
CRAP! After two trips to the boneyard (body shop) I just realized I forgot to get the Trooper skids while I was pulling the Interceptor. FYI, if anyone is worried about the 3M tape holding your titanium VX badge in place, FEAR NOT! I was more worried about the letters kinking or plastic breaking (more). A large wide scraper and LOTS of pressure got'em off. Puzzled looks and questions galore from shop personnel made the day interesting, but CRAP! I can't believe I forgot the skids! Let's see...got the K&N, Denso's, video & XM, AHHHH! can't get CD's from changer! When I go back for skids I'll try the slap and tickle technique.
Trading 377 for Joe's Dragon might work if we can cipher the logistics of the exchange. I'd rather keep 377 in the "family" if possible. I don't have an easy way to trailer 377 to him, so any ideas are welcome. Airfare is cheap from SHV to Orlando, and room and board on the road and especially here are covered, gladly, by me (within reason, of course). We can let it all hang out at my place - as long as you wear a jacket and slacks! www.cambridge-club.com
377 was the telephone prefix of the small town where I grew up. When I was a kid, no one gave a seven digit telephone #, only the last 4. They've added a few more prefixes since, and they're probably due for an area code split, so those days are gone...
Time for bed for this insomniac...

velvis

Andrey
06/01/2006, 04:42 AM
How much did ins. co offered you as a "totall loss" ? As I am going through the same thing and they try to lowball me...

Velvis
06/01/2006, 08:44 AM
Ok, I've got about two weeks of storage after 6/2 at my mother-in-law's house that's about to be sold. Talking to Joe about logistics on the swap, but a back-up plan would be nice - time's a wastin'. All ideas welcome. I really would rather see 377 go to one of us and not the auction.

velvis

Art
06/01/2006, 09:17 AM
Velvis... how about #377 becomes Austin Robot Technology's 2nd robot-VX?
We will be competing in DARPA's Urban Challenge, and think having a 2nd robot
would help with testing individually and traffic interactions... plus if one of them
is crashed into at the semi-finals we are allowed to replace with 2nd robot.

What do you think? Is it too late?

We may find some body shop in Austin that can do the mechanical repairs, without
making it perfect (it's a robot, doesn't have to be perfect).

Velvis
06/01/2006, 09:59 AM
Joe_Black has first right of refusal, but your offer is very interesting. It takes $4000 and you arrange pick up/delivery to equal ins co. offer. Tempus fugit - PM with an offer. Robot 377, hmmmm...

velvis

Art
06/01/2006, 10:20 AM
Fair enough, we'll wait on Joe_Black's answer.

Velvis
06/01/2006, 07:35 PM
Joe would like to turn it into a rallymobile a la Paris-Dakaar and is trying to figure out shipping options. This might get it on the Speed channel. You want to make it autonomous and let it crash into stuff on the Science channel. I say LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Seriously, I've spoken to Joe, he's aware of the time crunch, trying to find shipping options, but he would give it up if you want it. Make me an offer.

velvis

Art
06/01/2006, 08:56 PM
Velvis - we've given this more thought and have decided not to buy it. We are applying for funding on this project and have decided to defer the expense of a 2nd VX until and if we get funded. We'll look for #377 on the Speed channel. Good luck in your search for a replacement. I tend to keep cars longer and put more money into them than makes sense financially... we get attached to them, like an old pet. :(

Joe_Black
06/01/2006, 08:59 PM
Well, this is the great thing about this community. "377" gets a new lease on life and the Dragon finds a good home. Can y'all just feel the love? :)

Velvis
06/02/2006, 12:52 AM
Cut down in the prime of life. Snatched from glory. 377 is pinin' for the fjords. She's bereft of spirit, shuffled off the mortal coil, kicked the bucket, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible. This is an EX-