PDA

View Full Version : cleaning bottom half of VX

00BlackVX
05/29/2006, 11:32 AM
What is the best stuff to use? I know it says not to use Armoral or stuff like this ,but what seems to work best for eveyone?

Thank for any information
Robert

Ruflyf
05/29/2006, 11:40 AM
cleaning or maintaining? And are you talking about under or the black cladding?

00BlackVX
05/29/2006, 11:47 AM
both cleaning and maintaining the black cladding. right now it looks kinda faded not to bad ,but when you wax the truck clean the crome wheels and shine the tires it look kinda off because it looks faded

thanks
Robert

HotFlyer
05/29/2006, 12:05 PM
Is there any product that can be applied to the cladding in direct sunlight? I have no shade near my house.

Thanks,
Howard (0761)

Ruflyf
05/29/2006, 12:55 PM
I use Meguire's Exterior Trim Detailer and am very happy with it, kinda hard to find though. I buy it at O'Reilys Auto Parts. There are several discussions on different products you could read up on, maybe search the forums for "cladding."

Hotflyer, I have used the above mentioned in sunlight, not sure if I was suppose to or not. You could always do it first thing in the mroning when you get up.

BTW, I spray the detailer on mid size area at a time, then use a approx. 3in X 3in terry cloth towel to even it out and remove extra. The small size towel lets more of the product stay on the car rather than a large towel with more "dry" towel surface removes alot of the product. Make sense?

WyldWeasel
05/29/2006, 06:50 PM
I've had pretty good luck with Motul's Wash & Wax and Shine & Go. They are products designed for motorcycles and you can pick them up at motorcycle dealerships. They are supposed to work equally well on metallic and plastic surfaces. You spray on the Wash & Wax and leave it on for a bit then wipe it off and it leaves the cladding a nice dark color. Shine & Go is more for touch ups and you also spray it on, but you just leave it. It gives a sheen to the cladding that some like, but if you want a less lustrous look you can wipe it off.

Ldub
05/29/2006, 07:18 PM
Is there any product that can be applied to the cladding in direct sunlight? I have no shade near my house.

Thanks,
Howard (0761)

Chek out the thread : Do you wax or do you ICE. I just used it this morning, on both cladding & paint, then drove five miles of gravel roads...(forgot I had to go to the cemetery this afternoon). She was mighty dusty when I got home, but I just hosed off the dust & dried with an absorber cloth...perfect.

nfpgasmask
05/29/2006, 08:29 PM
I just used that "Back to Black" product and it made my cladding very purdy indeed.

Bart

Ruflyf
05/29/2006, 08:33 PM
I just used that "Back to Black" product and it made my cladding very purdy indeed.

Bart

Bart, dont get it dusty now for awhile :)

nfpgasmask
05/29/2006, 08:53 PM
Bart, dont get it dusty now for awhile :)

Oh yeah? Is there something I should know about Back To Black? Actually, I have been meaning to start a new thread about cleaning stains from the cladding. Mine has some weird white-ish spots all over it. It isnt that noticable, but it is there. I am guessing it might be like wax stains from a previous waxing job. I was hoping the Back To Black would get it off but it didn't....

Bart

IndianaVX
05/29/2006, 09:02 PM
i have had great results CLEANING the cladding with Castrol super clean. its in a purple bottle with sprayer. it cleans mud remains, (after wash.....you know what im talking about) and it seems to do well in removing products like back to black. I am thinking about removing all the back to black, and going with the ICE. i like the look of the back to black, but dont like the "greasyness" my $.02

etlsport
05/29/2006, 10:58 PM
my fav is still this stuff called 'black again' creates a little bit of static, but gives you a really nice deep shine, i used it, then went off roading, all it took was a dry microfiber wipe down to get it looking great again.. also accidentally stripped some off with WD40 and had to reapply, took about 30 seconds to patch it... one bottle has lasted me probably 5 applications too...

http://www.topoftheline.com/blacagrubren.html

Ruflyf
05/30/2006, 06:31 AM
Oh yeah? Is there something I should know about Back To Black? Actually, I have been meaning to start a new thread about cleaning stains from the cladding. Mine has some weird white-ish spots all over it. It isnt that noticable, but it is there. I am guessing it might be like wax stains from a previous waxing job. I was hoping the Back To Black would get it off but it didn't....

Bart

Having never used it, this is just heresay, but I have heard Back 2 Black's oily residue collects everything (dust, pollen, etc.) for several days after applying. As for the wax, I would try a pressure washer, or a car wash with one. If resorting to a chemical is necessary to remove it, then maybe googone or a bug&tar remover? Just be sure to try it under the wheel well to make sure it wont react.

geshaw30
05/30/2006, 10:30 AM
"search" on cladding cleaning...you can read for weeks on the issue
________
GRANNY MOVIES (http://www.****tube.com/categories/23/granny/videos/1)

whtzmbi
08/24/2006, 06:26 PM
I currently use CAR PRO Vinyl Treatment. Just wipe on and wipe off any excess....it has worked really well for mine.

blacksambo
08/24/2006, 07:05 PM
Meguiars #42 from their pro line does the trick for a low lustre medium dark finish. It goes on easy and once you hose off and dry it evens up nice.

tbigity
08/25/2006, 07:00 AM
WOW! I was planning on reading about back2black or Flood Restora a ton on this thread but to my surprise everyone has their own favorites. Maybe it would be better to assume that most of the products out there are quality products and just about any automotive trim shiner/protectant will do the job. I bet it would be quicker tomention products to stay away from. Anyone?

etlsport
08/25/2006, 07:12 AM
ive only ever read good reviews about this stuff... but i personally didnt like it at all, i applied it before driving to the beach, about 12 hours later and no rain, just morning dew, it had already started to run, i also used it on my door handles (exterior) and when it dried and came off, i was left with nasty white streaks on the door handle that i havent gotten rid of yet (2 months later)

http://www.adamspolishes.com/images/site_images/VRTLg.jpg (http://www.adamspolishes.com/images/site_images/VRTLg.jpg)

fuzzy
08/25/2006, 12:24 PM
Meguiars grape jelly! (i.e. Gold Class Endurance Tire Protectant Gel). A single coating has lasted well over two months. Still enough in the bottle for at least 3 or 4 more coatings.

The wife said it looked BETTER than new. Showed it off at a car show and people thought it must be the new 2007 model.

Water even beads off of the cladding. A quick wipe and dust comes off easily.

Go grape!