PDA

View Full Version : offroad

WiSDoM
05/28/2006, 09:27 AM
I went off the road this morning and had a bit of trouble. Need some advice on getting my baby started. i think the muffler may fulled with water. :rolleyes:
I will post pics as soon a i have time.

rowhard
05/28/2006, 09:43 AM
Not sure if this is a issue or not.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&threadid=8850

Triathlete
05/28/2006, 11:00 AM
From the pic you poted in your gallery I'd say the post Rowhard dirrected you too is probably your problem. Check your alternater. They have proven they don't like muddy water!

etlsport
05/28/2006, 11:11 AM
i havent really looked at the alternator to see if its even possible.. but has anyone fabbed up a plate or anythin to protect the alternator from splashing? i love goin mudding but didnt even realize that there was an issue with the alternators taking on water

WiSDoM
05/28/2006, 01:37 PM
would the muffler being filled with water create a starting problem?
All electricial is working but just doesn't turn over. believe or not she still running after all that, but the last time i started her she stalled as soon as i put her in gear. So what would be the next step????

she has been sitting on dry land for a few hours now. will the alternator dry out????

WiSDoM
05/28/2006, 01:51 PM
I going to try a syphon tube. does any know if there is a drain plug in the stock muffler?

Triathlete
05/28/2006, 01:57 PM
If there is water in the muffler it would simply blow out when started. The alternater is the probable cause. You may have enough juice left in the battery to run other electronics but not enough to turn it over. On a larger note if you got water in the intake then you could have major problems...hydro lock! Take out your plugs and turn it over to see if water comes out the plug holes if so you'll have to get the water out and let the cylnders dry out.

mbeach
05/28/2006, 02:29 PM
Did you stall out in the water?

Or did the symptoms appear after you were out of it for awhile?

WiSDoM
05/28/2006, 03:37 PM
yes it stalled while it was in the water.

mbeach
05/28/2006, 06:35 PM
How'd you get it out of the water?

Do you have any water in the bottom of your airbox?

It's not likely that you'll get enough water into the muffle to cause it to not turn over. You could open up your exhaust between the muffler and a catalytic convertor to confirm this.

Hose your alternator down with WD-40 to displace any water while you're at it.

Ldub
05/28/2006, 07:37 PM
How'd you get it out of the water?

Do you have any water in the bottom of your airbox?

For the answer to these & other pertinenent questions refer to "recent photos" at the bottom of home page. :p

BTW,WiSDoM, how fast were you going when you hit that water hole?

Triathlete
05/28/2006, 07:57 PM
After seeing those other pics I'd say take the plugs out and crank it a few times just to be on the safe side. If it stall in the water I think you may have sucked some water into the intake.

psychos2
05/28/2006, 09:03 PM
It probably stalled due to lack of air and or water ingestion. First check the oil for water. It will either be milky or overfull. If this is the case change the oil. If it will not turn over at all pull the plugs and keep turning the motor over until the water is gone. You should disconnect the fuel pump when doing this. Reinstall the plugs and hook back up the fuel pump. It will start unless you fried a fuse or something electrical. I deal with this all the time when boats sink. And once when i tried to use my snowmobile as a boat. but thats another story. Usually the engine shuts down before major damage occurs. Shawn

WiSDoM
05/29/2006, 04:25 AM
GOOD MORNING GUYS,

Sorry the caps. I am heading back see how she is doing this morning. I check the oil and the air intake box an there was no sign of water. i checked the fuse box in the engine compartment and no sign of water in there either. I am going to pickup some wd40 and wire dryer an check my conections. I checked the wires for the plug but water i will pull the plug today. I used my expedition to pull the truck the last four or five feet. I would say i was doing maybe 5 to 10 mph into the hole. she was fine at first but the otherside was soft. had to be over two feet of water hehehe. Wasnt to bad until my 3 year old saw water coming in from under the door hehehe and started crying like a baby.

be back soon

rowhard
05/29/2006, 10:33 AM
It's cranking over right? Check the 15 fuses located inside marked Ig. Coil and Engine if you haven't already. I had a problem last week (self induced) where it would crank, but no start, turned out to be the CB-3, 15 amp engine fuse.

WiSDoM
05/29/2006, 11:44 AM
man oh man,

Well i have her home now. but she is a mess TOD check light is on, engine check is on, engine idles high, and the tranny shift is hard Like BANG hard.

I had a lot of water in the engine. i found it after i removed plugs. Got it going and let it run for ten minute before taking it home and gave the underbelly a good wash. all the way home the tod lights were crazy and the tranny was changing gear randomly and very fast.

I changed the plug and will do an oil change too. I will search teh forum for the TOD check light, but if you guys have a suggestion would be cool too.

thanks

Ruflyf
05/29/2006, 12:38 PM
not to sound overly optamistic, but some of that may clear up as she dries out.

Locomigo
05/29/2006, 01:00 PM
You better change ALL fluids...
Motor oil
Tranny Fluid
Tcase oil
Coolant
Differential lube (F&R)

And HOPE, that the hot metal/cold water did not stress fracture connecting rods/pistons, etc.

Utilize some of that drying agent for te electronics/sensors etc.

When it was underwater, it seems as though it could be VERY possible for the ECM/TCM to have been submerged?

IIRC you had water enter the cabin correct? How high was the water level?

WiSDoM
05/29/2006, 01:09 PM
The water level in the cab was about 3" on the passenger side and now much on the driverside.

mbeach
05/29/2006, 01:12 PM
Your ECM would be dry, but there's a good chance that you doused the TOD computer -it's under the passenger seat.

See how the TOD behaves as those sensors dry out.

WiSDoM
05/29/2006, 04:35 PM
do you think it would be a good idea to unplug the ecu and the tod computer and see if they are wet? and if so remove them to dry out the vx them put them back in? or just run it and see if they dry out? she is running like crap.
high idle and rough tod/shifting

MZ-N10
05/29/2006, 06:24 PM
probably be smarter not drivin the car for a while and let the whole thing dry out.

WiSDoM
05/29/2006, 06:34 PM
i pull the tod out and cleaned it up and will be pulling the carpets and drying it all out