PDA

View Full Version : Short off-road VX video

VehiX
05/24/2006, 01:12 PM
Hi folks -

So we've been getting slammed with a lot of rain here in New England lately. The other day the weather cleared up for a few so I went out on a little off road adventure. Here's a quick video of it for your viewing pleasure :)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=758377598&n=2

Tone
05/24/2006, 01:41 PM
Looks fun but beware the alternator is on the bottom of our engines and muddy water/mud can kill it in seconds - I was with VX Crazy (talking her into it I believe) when she when about as deep in a muddy water pool and before we had crossed, the AC was gone as the ECU shut down unnecessary accessories. Warranties are good things....

On review, the water was plenty deep to just about COVER the alt....

Heraclid
05/24/2006, 05:45 PM
Not bad, certainly fun, but listen to Tone on that one. But I think you weren't in deep enough water or getting enough splash. We did much worse in Ocala a few years back and it came back to bite 3 out of 7 VX's (first the A/C, and then pretty soon everything's dead). And try going up a steep incline in that kinda mud or worse - the kind you cannot stay upright on without hanging onto trees if you tried to walk up it. I did it in Uwharrie N.F. in NC with BFG Mud-Terrains. Joe Black even did it in a VX with the stock Bridgestones!

WiSDoM
05/24/2006, 08:00 PM
Nice Job man

I live in Maine so we are enjoying the same weather. I have been going down alot of old logging roads similiar to that road, but most are all washed out and bony. A few really nice mud hole. great fun :)

MZ-N10
05/24/2006, 08:28 PM
lol....nice....great comment too...lol

curiouswords
05/29/2006, 12:09 PM
This morning my son and I took the VX on its first real offroad experience since I bought it just under two months ago. This was his first experience offroad (seventeen and rarin' to go).

Places to go offroad are difficult to find here in Northern Virginia, but we managed to find some suitable dirt roads leading into an unimproved area without a NO TRESSPASSING sign and that hasn't been overtaken by a contractor to meet the ravenous need for housing here.

After the gullies, the grass roads, and the small streams, we came to an area that looked like someone had trenched part of the road and removed all the grass. There was plenty of mud and we wallowed. Yup, got stuck! The son was driving and he tried to power his way out, but we got a bit high-centered with only one wheel firmly on the ground and another with a partial.

We swapped drivers and I rocked the VX to no avail (always worked with the IH Scout's we had growing up). So, it was power user time and I shifted into low (tranfer case already in four-wheel low) and gave her the gun while turning the wheel seeking a bit of higher ground.

She grabbed and kept going! Smooth transition to "higher ground." After the high-fives we motored out of the area to the local gas station for a cold drink and car wash.

A great shared experience with dad and son! :)