PDA

View Full Version : Offroading Without Cladding

Bimati
05/22/2006, 01:10 PM
Maybe Moab gave me a bit too much confidence, but I have found a few trails here in Colorado that look as though they were made by the devil himself to destroy my VX.

After seeing Tone remove the bumpers/cladding on his Mercedes for trail use, I am wondering if anyone has removed their VX cladding for trail running.

Thoughts? Ideas? Donations?

biju
05/22/2006, 01:14 PM
I suppose it makes sense - I mean, replacement cladding is probably on the list to get axed by Isuzu parts anytime now... (If it hasn't already been axed!).

Would you just do the nose and rear?

-biju.

Triathlete
05/22/2006, 01:21 PM
Line-X, Line-X, Line-X...
When mine gets too ugly thats what I'll do. It is easier than trying tho repair/replace the sheet metal! :smack:

Ldub
05/22/2006, 01:33 PM
To add to what Billy said, how else you gonna show off your "battle scars".
I think we all collected a few, looking under mine has me ready to order some OME 912's for sure.
In the words of a T shirt I saw in a Moab bike shop: "Scars are like tattoos with better stories."

Tone
05/22/2006, 02:19 PM
I'll be constructing 'replacement' bumper covers for my ML before my next outing. IMHO, the cladding on the VX was no big deal if it got a little scratched as it is typically low and relatively unseen. I made a skid plate that at least protected the middle of the front cladding and since running it, received no damage. If you saw any of the other Isuzu's in Moab, the hard core had tubing all around to prevent most all damage but I can't imagine that on a daily driver.

BTW, bumper covers were left on for my successful attempt at Lion's Back - it would make a great pic with a number of VXes stretched out across it.

Joe_Black
05/22/2006, 03:58 PM
C'mon, that's why the VX came with unpainted polypropylene cladding to begin with. So it could soak up what sheetmetal couldn't. ;)