PDA

View Full Version : Interested in purchasing a VX - Few Qs?

Kreal
05/20/2006, 05:24 PM
Hello all,

I've recently learned of the VX, and am quite intriged by how unique they are!
So intriged that I am considering purchasing one. I do, however have a few questions that I look to you experienced VX owner's to help me with.

1) Do they come in a manual transmission? From what I have already read - I do not believe so.

2) I have read that they can have a supercharger added to them. What is the ball-park price of this supercharger + other parts needed, and the extent of the work? (Will do the work myself)

3) What are the common problems? I read about headlight gaskets, windows, etc - any MAJOR common problems? (ex. transmission, 4 wheel drive, engine) etc.

4) Was there special packages (what is the Iron man package?) tow package, luxury package? Etc.

5) GAS Mileage?

6) Any type of WOODGRAIN, CARBON FIBER, or PLATINUM dash overlays offered?

7) Were all engines the V6, or did some come V8? Also what is the max tow weight?

And finally..
8) What is the ball park price of a nice, clean, used VX?

Thanks in advance.

mbeach
05/20/2006, 05:46 PM
1) Do they come in a manual transmission? From what I have already read - I do not believe so.
Automatic only, 4 speed, General Motors' 4L30E model. Also found in the Blazer and BMW E36s.

2) I have read that they can have a supercharger added to them. What is the ball-park price of this supercharger + other parts needed, and the extent of the work? (Will do the work myself)
Most of the guys that are smart on this subject are in Moab -wait a few days for their responses.

3) What are the common problems? I read about headlight gaskets, windows, etc - any MAJOR common problems? (ex. transmission, 4 wheel drive, engine) etc.
The tranny is from GM, so it's hit or miss. With good service, it'll last the life of your truck. The transfer case is from Borg-Warner, on a joint venture with Isuzu. There have been few hardware-related transfer case failures. However, our 4wd system has a lot of software and e-parts. If there's trouble, it's usually in one of these sensors. Engines are 100% Isuzu. They require an average level of attentiveness (Honda being a 1, and Ferrari being a 10, I'd rate the Isuzu 6VE1 a 6). Keep up on oil changes and be mindful of oil levels. Should last a long time.

4) Was there special packages (what is the Iron man package?) tow package, luxury package? Etc.
The Ironman package had special badging, Victory White paint, and a roof rack. This is the only package. All other VXs are equally equipped. If you want an Ironman, it MUST be white. If you want a Proton, it won't be an Ironman. The Ironman should command no premium price over any other -they are all equally rare.

5) GAS Mileage?
Anywhere from 12-15 in town and 16-20 on the highway. Your driving habits will determine this more than any other factor.

6) Any type of WOODGRAIN, CARBON FIBER, or PLATINUM dash overlays offered?
The dashboard was salvaged from the 94-97 Isuzu Rodeo. Any dash kit that fits the Rodeo will fit the VX.

7) Were all engines the V6, or did some come V8? Also what is the max tow weight?
3.5L V6 only in the US. Japanese VXs were available with the 3.2 motor.
The VX is not rated for towing (it has a short wheelbase), however many of us have towed over 4000 pounds without difficulty. I towed a 4000 dual axle trailer from Columbus Ohio to Fairbanks Alaska last summer. No problems at all.

8) What is the ball park price of a nice, clean, used VX?
Comes and goes. Figure around $16k for a super clean '01. I recommend Jim May Auto in Findlay Ohio. Ask for the sales manager Mike Simpkins. My Dragon came from there. Jim buys any clean VX with under 40k miles that he sees at auction. He just has a thing for them. If anyone can find a good VX, it'll be him.

Kreal
05/20/2006, 06:48 PM
Thank you for your reply, excellent answers! Very much appreciated.

Ironically, I live in Ohio! (Youngstown to be exact).

That is awesome about the dash boards!

I hope you do not mind...but I have several more questions.

1) How many VX were made?

2) What is the difference between a Dragon, and a regular VX? What makes it a Dragon?

3) Reguardless of mileage - what is the most desired year of this model?

I am very interested in this vehicle. Quite amazed that I have never heard much about them before..after seeing pictures and reading about them - I think I may be buying one! The $10-$15k price range is quite excellent for this type of vehicle.

Again, thank you for your help.

Paul

geshaw30
05/20/2006, 07:27 PM
Greetings Paul & good luck on your eventual search-

As is the case with most newbies the "search" function in this forum is often overlooked. It should answer all your questions in extended detail. Take the time to use it...it should only take you 2 to 3 years to get through everything :)

The year ('99, '00, or '01) is simply a matter of choice. The only difference between the three are in the factory wheel size and improvements in the climate control. The '99 comes with a smaller 16" rim and the '00 & '01 have the climate control upgrade. Don't let anyone tell you one of the three years is any better than the other. Simply not true in any fashion

A "dragon" is simply a color name (green) Isuzu applied. As are kaiser & astral (2 different shades of sliver), proton (yellow), ebony (black), foxfire (red).

Here's the production figures...
VX production volume to the US by model year

Ext./Int.......1999......2000.....2001......Total

Silver/Red....1021.......57......101......1179
Silver/Gray.... n/a.....135......251.......386
White/Red..... 420......96.......86........602
Black/Red.......564......51.......87........702
Black/Gray......n/a.....138.....226........364
Yellow/Gray.....n/a....111.....368........479
Green/Gray......n/a....125.....105........230
Red/Gray........n/a......90......120.......210
Pearl/Red........n/a.....n/a........1..........1

Total.............2005....803.....1345......4153
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

Anita
05/20/2006, 07:38 PM
1) How many VX were made?

I dont know how many were made total but a little over 4000 were exported to the U.S. between 1999 and 2001.

2) What is the difference between a Dragon, and a regular VX? What makes it a Dragon?
Dragon refers to the color exterior of the VX - Dragon Mica Green

3) Reguardless of mileage - what is the most desired year of this model?
It depends on your tastes... 99's came with 16" wheels, 00-01 came with 18" wheels; 00-01 models have auto climate control; 99 models came iwith exterior color choices of astral silver, ironman pkg.Victory white, and Ebony with red/blk interior. Beginning with 00 models, Isuzu introduced new exterior colors of Proton yellow, Dragon Green Mica, Foxfire Red Mica and Kaiser Silver with the added choice of Grey/Blk interior.

Kreal
05/21/2006, 10:18 AM
Wow! I had no idea there were that few made. Awesome.

This would be my first 4x4, and definitly my first Isuzu. The only thing I do not like about them so far is that they were all automatic - but I absolutly love the seats & exterior. Are body parts really THAT hard to find? I wonder what it would be like in 5 years..

I am some-what familiar with hard to find parts, as some of my other cars are quite rare. I've got a mint condition '89 Saab 900 Turbo 5spd Convertible SPG/SIS, 1 of only 14 imported into this country - possibly the last in existance? Also a mint 1993 Volvo 850 5spd GLT Luxury (Euro Version, extremely rare, never seen another), and most importantly - many 1983-1989 Chrysler Conquest / Mitsubishi Starion Turbo Coupes (I specialize in these cars, and have ALL of the most desireable dealer/year options from all years even imported from UK & AU). Also some other Saabs, such as 1970s Sonett III Roadsters. I'll attach some old pics from when I lived with my parents.

I am also a stickler about rare, dealer option parts (hence paying $1000 for a set of factory mudflaps for one of my Starion!) So I know if I purchased the VX I would want to add the door wind deflectors, front bra, all badging removed, Yakima roof rack, aftermarket large chrome wheels, wood or CF dash over lay, mudflaps, and front 'push' bar with rally fog lights & of course tow hitch.

I am leaning towards a black VX, but may settle with any that is EXTREMELY clean, 1 owner (must have window sticker and all paper work). Any add-ons are definitly a plus.

Just need to justify me selling my Volvo (not for $$ but to make room for another car for insurance - as of right now I pay $300 a month for insurance, and I'm only 20 years old!) :rolleyes: Plus going from a 5spd to an auto is not something I look forward to.

Also, how is the insurance on the VX?

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/7671/ps20059yz.jpg http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/6711/saab10qb.jpg

Thanks for all of your replys.

Paul

nfpgasmask
05/21/2006, 11:20 AM
I will comment on the price here, since I am still a noob owner myself. I just purchased (2 weeks ago) a SUPER CLEAN '01 with just over 25,000 miles for $14,500. Personally, I think I made out like a bandit here, considering the mileage and the fact that it is black (my only choice for car colors). Not to mention the coolness/rareness factor. I did a nationwide search on AutoTrader and Edmunds.com and I could not find a better one for sale (with less miles) ANYWHERE. Anyway, my point is this, don't let a dealer talk you into paying $4000 more that what the vehicle is worth (yes, they were asking 18k for it!!!!!), even though now I probably would have paid close to that anyway...so far, I am loving my new VX.

My VX 2 days after purchase.... (http://www.nofuture.com/myvx.jpg)

Bart

PS - When I walked in the salesman told me, and I quote, "MAN, this is a HOT car, we have had like 17 calls for it today alone!" I didn't buy that at all however, since I knew at least 10 of those inquiry calls were from me and my wife ;)

etlsport
05/21/2006, 05:30 PM
for insurance (as a 20 year old male) im paying just a little more for my VX than i did for my 05 civic.. gas mileage usually 14-15 in the city and about 18.5 on highway trips (i cruise just under 80), im noticing i get slightly better readings from my scan gauge now after removing restrictor elbow from intake and adding a green performance filter, but havent really driven enough to know if its helping for sure

i will throw out there that my only regret about buying the VX is it quickly became an obsession! ive spend a lot more money than i probably should have just adding to it (havent had to spend any money for problems yet.... but the way the windows are acting that may change soon) not to mention the time i spend cleaning, detailing, driving just to drive etc

nfpgasmask
05/21/2006, 05:36 PM
not to mention the time i spend cleaning, detailing, driving just to drive etc

LOL, I still washed mine yesterday even knowing that it was supposed to rain later, I just couldn't help it....and driving just to drive, yeah, I've been slamming my bank account paying for gas lately, again, I just can't help it....I sure hope my VX purchase "after glow" lasts. :)

Bart