PDA

View Full Version : Need tires now... and maybe wheels...

coachreed
04/17/2003, 05:49 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend talking about wheels. I found out today that my slow leak in my front left tire is due to a hole that is in the sidewall... time to think about tires... or wheels and tires. I was hoping he had some wheels for me, but he commented that the positive offset (more like a car wheel)... he said something with a 40mm offset would probably work... well, then he commented that he had a Vehicross in their booth at SEMA a couple years ago... with a custom set of wheels on it... he's gonna see what info he still has on them. Anyway, in talking to him about tires and my trying to keep the stock 18" wheels, he suggested that I check Nitto... not an MTR, but something to look at.... anyway, here's the only one that Nitto has for 18" wheels... seems that its a little big... at least to fit on a 7" wide rim... heres the specs...

LT325/60R18 Height-32.99 Tread Width-12.83 Rim Width required-9.0

Doesn't look promising that they will fit... but just trying to figure out what to do. Anyway, if anyone has wheels suggestions... or tire suggestions... lemme know.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

psychos2
04/17/2003, 05:59 PM
I have nitto terra grapplers.nice tire.get compliments all the time.mine are 31.54 inches tall.they fit with minor trimming.i don't see the 32.99 fitting without some major trimming.here is a link to my post on the other board. http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/003400.html

shawn
p.s. what about this size ?
*285/60R18 120S 31.57 height 10.67width 8.0-(8.5)-10.0rim size 3086lbs@50psi

Tonka
04/18/2003, 11:55 AM
If you can afford it, go to american/discount tire and pick out your favorite rim and tire combo. It just needs to be a 6 lug 5.5spacing. Same as any other toyota/nissan/isuzu rim. You can go about as large as a 30" tire, any bigger, you just have to trim (which is very easy). As for the 18", many are pleased with the yokohama's that fit.

coachreed
04/18/2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Tonka
If you can afford it, go to american/discount tire and pick out your favorite rim and tire combo. It just needs to be a 6 lug 5.5spacing. Same as any other toyota/nissan/isuzu rim. You can go about as large as a 30" tire, any bigger, you just have to trim (which is very easy). As for the 18", many are pleased with the yokohama's that fit.

Pick just whatever wheels I like? What about backspacing? My contact at Weld Racing said that the offset is totally different than that of most truck wheels so its hard to find something that is right for the truck. Is there any threat of stressing suspension components with the different offset? I know I plan to push my VX offroad anyway, but just curious. As for the Yokohama's... are these any kind of AT LEAST all-terrain tires? Or are they just another street tire like the Toyo's that are on mine now? Just curious...

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Tonka
04/18/2003, 03:32 PM
I think or offset is very common on all japan made trucks. Toyota/Nissan/Isuzu. He might be trying to sell you something more expensive. It would be hard to match the stock offset but you don't need to.

Baxman (see his gallery pictures at http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8&thumb=1) has 16" x 8" rims with zero offset and a 4" backspacing. That is very common rim size. Check out www.americanracing.com and almost every rim is offered in that size. The only difference is that your tires will stick out a little more giving a wider stance. Baxman has a bigger tire than 30" so his bumber had to be trimmed a little.

About the yokohama's, i don't know if they are all-terrain or not but you can get a closer look at them on a VX at this website:

http://homepage.mac.com/mrtew/VXpix.html

Or go to the yokohama website and see. They are much nicer than the stock 18" tires.

Hope this helps.

AlaskaVX
04/18/2003, 04:53 PM
Offsests? Backspacing? this is all jiberish to me. Could someone explain what these mean? I bought some rims based on 6 on 5.5". I have 16 x 10.5 Eagle Alloy Comets, could these have something to do with my steering wheel shaking, since I never checked into offsets or backspacing?

Thanx
Alan

Andrey
04/19/2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Tonka

hi, what kind of Toyo are you using ? I am planning to buy Proxes 275/60R16.. have no idea if they will fit.

sagwagon
04/19/2003, 08:09 AM
Randy; If you can find the Yoko Geolander AT 2's in your size, seems like they would work in just about any off-road application short of mud-pitting. I'm very pleased with mine for on road as well. They do very well in rain but may have to wait til next winter to try snow. Good price from discount tire direct included shipping and was significantly less than tire rack. Good Luck! Steve

coachreed
04/19/2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Andrey
hi, what kind of Toyo are you using ? I am planning to buy Proxes 275/60R16.. have no idea if they will fit.

I have the Proxes on my VX right now... but they aren't that big... 255/55/18.... but since your looking at 16's... they will probably fit. My whole delimna is that I wanted to keep my stock wheels as IMO they look really nice. On the other hand, I REALLY wanted to get an MTR... which doesn't look to be happening right now... so, what to do.

As for the backspacing/offset comments... I actually think there is MORE to it than meets the eye.... the geomotry of the suspension and everything is specifically designed... at least I would think so. I doubt that Isuzu and others would design their wheels to have the different offset than normal just to be different. I am certain that changing the backspacing and offset will affect steering geomotry and could stress suspension components in a way that they were not designed. lets just say for instance... you put a wheel onto your VX that puts the centerline (of the wheel) out past what it should be... what does this do? Nothing? Wrong... it will create added stress on the steering linkage as your wheels would be creating pressure out further (more leverage) on the steering arms... this could wear out components quicker than expected... in the case of components that are already worn (even slightly), you could end up with a touch of toe-out that isn't apparent on an alignment rack (static) but in the real world could caust some indesirable conditions... aka steering wander or shakes (AlaskaVX). I will be looking around for something that is MADE to fit correctly... otherwise I guess I'm stuck with either a tire that isn't mud terrain, or I get the older VX wheels... I just like my 18's.

Anyway, enough rambling... does my explanation of how offset could cause a problem make ANY sense to anyone here? TTYL!

Coach...aka Randy!

Andrey
04/19/2003, 09:41 AM
Randy, thanks for your reply !

I guess you are right about added "stress" for components but I am not sure how "bad" it is. There might be some "nominal" stress added with aftermarket tires/wheels. I am planning to keep my 16" wheels and just want a car-like, soft and quite tire as I do not do any offroad stuff. Another thought that I had was the gas milage. Technically speaking the wider tire will give you more resistance. Will that cause worse gas milage ?

coachreed
04/19/2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by psychos2
p.s. what about this size ?
*285/60R18 120S 31.57 height 10.67width 8.0-(8.5)-10.0rim size 3086lbs@50psi

Just checked Discount Tire Direct (http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.jsp) and found these (http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/nitva1.ang.jpg)... I just wonder how much modification will be needed to fit... I'm not against light modifications to make them fit as they are the best option I have found yet. Definitely look better than most other AT's I've seen so far... at least in my size requirement. Anyway, I'm waiting on a call from a local tire store to see what they can do on price... or if I have to but them at Discount Tire Direct.... hmmm.... its gonna suck... I'm gonna come back into town next week to find a flat tire I'm sure. :( Anyway... back to looking... TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

coachreed
04/19/2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Andrey
Randy, thanks for your reply !

I guess you are right about added "stress" for components but I am not sure how "bad" it is. There might be some "nominal" stress added with aftermarket tires/wheels. I am planning to keep my 16" wheels and just want a car-like, soft and quite tire as I do not do any offroad stuff. Another thought that I had was the gas milage. Technically speaking the wider tire will give you more resistance. Will that cause worse gas milage ?

For on-road use... I am VERY happy with the Proxes... they are quite and ride very nice. If I wasn't gonna go off-road, I would stick with what I have... but I don't plan to stay on road ALL the time... actually... everytime I have ever had a 4x4, I would go off-road every weekend... cheap entertainment IMO.. except when it costs you a tire or four! lol As for added gas mileage... I doubt you will find a noticalble difference in gas mileage going up a size or two... yeah, there is added rolling resistance with width and weight, but nothing that I think you'll see.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Moncha
04/19/2003, 10:37 AM
Randy, did you try looking at these (http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/findTireProductSizes.do?step=productSizes&productType=TIRE&regionCode=COPINT&source=vehicle&vehicleId=007064) (Last link on bottom)

Here's some links not only for you, but any others that have Q's about wheels and tires...

Offset (http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/brochure/info/helpDeskWheelOffsets.jsp)

Reading the side wall (http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/brochure/info/helpDeskSidewall.jsp)

Tire Calculator (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) (I like this calulator and am going to put it on this site, just in case the link goes bad..)

I did some checking and the Nitto's (http://www.nittotire.com/tire_nt404_sizes.asp)
285/50/18 approved rim size is 8.0 in to 10.0. Their tread width is 11.54 and diam is 29.06 sidewall 5.6.

275/60/18 that is approved for 7.5in to 9.5. Their tread width is 11.14 and diam is 31.18 sidewall 6.5.

255/55/18 (closest thing to stock) that is approved for 7.0 in to 9.0. Their tread width is 10.33 with a diam of 28.94 sidewall 5.5

The stock 18's on a 7.0 in rim are 9.646 in wide and a diam of 29.6 the sidewall is 5.8in.

When time comes I may go with the 275/60/18's they'll fill up the well better.. Just depends on how much I need to trim. The only problem that I saw with the Terra Grapplers 285/60R18 120S 31.57 height 10.67 width 8.0-(8.5)-10.0 rim is that 8.0 inch rim size.. I think that you would get too much sidewall roll with a rim that is 1 inch more narrow defeating the "On-Road" performance.. Plus, I'm not sure if it wouldn't look like a balloon.

psychos2
04/19/2003, 12:28 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=590&papass=&sort=4
very minor trimming with that size. shawn

Tonka
04/19/2003, 12:54 PM
I will say Randy that most after market rims never match the stock specifications. Look at any Tacoma/4runner/pathfinder/jeep wrangler/grand cherokee with after market wheels. No really, LOOK! They always stick out more so they can fit a bigger tire, usually with a lift. If you look at the link Scott provided on offset, you will see that most stock cars and trucks have a positive offset. I know my Toyota Tacoma did.

As for different offset and backspacing i would say almost everyone with an aftermarket wheel on this board does not have them matched to stock spec either. The only complaint i could think when i had my american racing rims on was steering, which was fixed after i got an alignment done. If you are really worried ask some of members what they think of their rims. If they have had any problems, etc. I can't think of any threads where aftermarket rims have been a problem (except trying to fit a bigger tire). I can understand your concern but i think you are just worring a little too much. The effects are most likely minimal. But if you want something to fit exactly find someone willing to part with 16" 1999 VX wheels. I think that is the only thing that will match exactly. I am sure there are many members here who don't use them anymore and could sell them to you.

PS
The VX is basically a 2door trooper. Same frame, enigne, and underside. You can look at any rims made for the Isuzu Trooper and they will fit.

Moncha
04/19/2003, 01:04 PM
Hey Shawn, what about noise? Would you consider the TG's as being louder or quieter than the Bridgies?

coachreed
04/19/2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Moncha
Randy, did you try looking at these (http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/findTireProductSizes.do?step=productSizes&productType=TIRE&regionCode=COPINT&source=vehicle&vehicleId=007064) (Last link on bottom)

I tried that link and it no workie... I guess Discount Tire Direct's site won't let you just past a link to get back to where you were... what brand and size tire were you pointing me towards? Lemme know as I'd like to see other options.

Originally posted by psychos2
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=590&papass=&sort=4
very minor trimming with that size. shawn

What size are THOSE tires? Are they the 285/60/18's? IF so, I am probably done searching... they look like they fit pretty good... otherwise, I guess I still gotta do a little thinking.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

psychos2
04/19/2003, 02:37 PM
moncha, they are a little noiser but not that noticable.coachreed, no they are the 16 inch rims ,but they are 31.54 inches tall and the 285/60/18 are 31.57 inches tall .only .03 inches taller .they should fit just fine. with minor trimming .if you look at the pic and look at your front cladding closest to the tire ,you will see alittle triangle piece has been cut out to make them fit.probably not even an inch cut off .when the tire turned it would just touch . http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=590&papass=&sort=4

Moncha
04/19/2003, 02:59 PM
Coach, sorry about that but Discount Tire dosen't allow linking to their site..

Just go in to the tire section and put in a 2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS and the 2 tire links at the bottom is what I was looking at.. I know they are not All Terrains but they are all season M&S.
The OEM Bridgestones do pretty well all round save for some extreme snow conditions that gave me trouble on out November trip in the mountains. So, if these would be comparable to that.. they'd do alright.. I just have a problem giving up that street performance so, I'm not sure I want to go to the Terra Grapplers.