PDA

View Full Version : Why discontinued

9tinyfingaz
05/19/2006, 02:54 PM
I searched a bit, but did not come up with anything. I've wanted the VX for 7 years now and I'm finally able to buy one. But why is it not made anymore. Were there problems with it. A guy who works at isuzu told me that its not the best choice of car, but i didnt figure why he would say that. If anyone knows,....help?

wekilled
05/19/2006, 03:29 PM
The car certainly has its share of quirks (electric windows stick, makes noises in turns & shifting, gas hog, etc-see endless forums) Apart from that it is built like a tank and Isuzu engines run forever.

Just my opinion, but if you buy one knowing and accepting its quirks- you'll be okay. Its like sushi, you either love it or hate it-no middle of the road. Another analogy is I love my job in the Army, but I don't try to recruit people.

If you want practical car, get a Saturn or a Honda and add some tuner crap to it. If you don't mind driving around the "Tumbler" Batmobile, getting stopped in parking lots all the time, and love doing mods on your combo sports car/off-road vehicle-get a VX. Its a gut feeling, I saw one when they came out and said ala Waynes World "It will be mine,oh yes, it will be mine!"

Super Cool Added bonus: My wife absolutely HATES driving it. (tight suspension/driving in a cave feeling)

steelzeus
05/19/2006, 03:31 PM
yeah if you dont spin a rod bearing like Me and others have. do a search for bearing failure. its a whole lotta fun i must say

mbeach
05/19/2006, 04:29 PM
The worst thing about the VX is the fact that it is an Isuzu. They seem to have trouble standing behind their products.

The VX was never intended to be a high-volume production vehicle. It was a styling exercise, a manufacturing exercise (ceramic stamping dies were used for the body panels), an engineering and technical showcase (the piggyback shocks) and a halo car, designed to bring people into the Isuzu showroom where they could buy a Rodeo instead of the $32k VehiCROSS.

All cars will break in time. Just take care of what you can and cross your fingers for what you can't control.

Andrey
05/19/2006, 04:37 PM
I walked into Isuzu Dealership and ,even remotely, did NOTconcidered anything but VX.....

My advice - if you want it get it now used as you can get a car in a decent shape and reasonable milage for a STEAL ! My sticker price was close to 30K. Now 36K more miles and I will be lucky to get 15K for it (not that I would consider selling)

Good luck !

geshaw30
05/19/2006, 08:25 PM
mbeach is right on the button. It came down to sales cost and ceramic die cast. Isuzu never planned on making an endless stream of the truck.
________
Handjob Massage (http://www.****tube.com/categories/680/massage/videos/1)

Zorak
05/19/2006, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=mbeach] "an engineering and technical showcase"

too bad the bean counters held sway when they got to the dashboard design tho :sado:

thedutchguy
05/20/2006, 12:17 AM
A guy who works at isuzu told me that its not the best choice of car, but i didnt figure why he would say that.

He probably couldn't afford one either. ;)

Chopper
05/20/2006, 05:50 AM
Production numbers also reflected homologation rules in certain venues, or there would've been even fewer of them. Never a car with much of a business model, it was for sure a halo type vehicle. Problem was, no one noticed. I actually find mine to be exceedingly reliable, fun to drive, and easy to work on. Choose carefully and buy one!

Andrey
05/20/2006, 06:27 AM
He probably couldn't afford one either. ;)

or sales rep is just an envy moron :)

Andrey
05/20/2006, 06:33 AM
now, how many cars in the world are making from prototype to small production in couple of years ???? and note ALMOST without any drastic changes between prototype and production model....

Once on the web I came across one Jap site where they had fotos of all Isuzu prototype vehicles which are stored in Isuzu museum in California. I was so impressed with beauty of those cars and dissapointed that non of them, but VX, saw the light of day (being produced and enjoyed on road/off road)

MZ-N10
05/20/2006, 09:59 AM
A guy who works at isuzu told me that its not the best choice of car

technically hes right...its more of a truck then a car... :)

9tinyfingaz
05/20/2006, 11:14 AM
I appreciate all the feedback guys. Im buying mine next friday may 26th. 67K miles for $10K. Sound good? ive been reading this website for so long i can finally post and say "Yes, I have a VX." Im just worryed about reliabilty. Can i take this car for 200K miles and not end up changing the engine before then.

transio
05/20/2006, 11:36 AM
If you take care of it (and the previous owner(s) did the same) there's no reason it shouldn't last to 200k.

mbeach
05/20/2006, 01:24 PM
Congratulations!

When I bought my first VX, I drove it home in the rain, about 100 miles. Visibility was poor, and I couldn't figure out how to operate the aftermarket stereo.
I had just traded my beloved 362whp WRX, which I had poured countless hours and dollars into for 2 years.

About 50 miles into the drive, while crossing a flooded roadway in central Ohio, I looked over at my wife, and said:
"I can't believe that I FINALLY have one..." and smiled. I haven't stopped smiling since, even during the low points when my truck(s) were sick.

You're buying so much more than transportation.

Maugan_VX
05/22/2006, 10:30 AM
just to add to what transio has said,

while the VX seems to have acquired a certain bearing-spinning stygma, other owners have reported NO problems whatsoever with this. In fact both my previous isuzus have lasted to 300k and 230k when I sold them respectively.

UtahVXer
05/22/2006, 10:01 PM
If you plan to use the rear seats, be sure to get one of Tone's seat extension kits; otherwise they are nearly impossible to get into and out of. On the other hand, if you don't need to use them, you could simply remove the rear seats altogether.