PDA

View Full Version : Tire question??

WiSDoM
05/17/2006, 05:38 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I and getting new tires soon and was wondering what is the largest tire we can put on without causing to much trouble. I don't have a lift and not sure about putting a lift on. I was looking at Geolander M/T+ 265/75 16. but wasn't sure if i could go with the 285/75 16. I take my VX offroad everyday. It is run pretty hard. I with need rims too but dont want any thing to expensive because they will get beat. Any recommendations would be helpful. What differents can i expect with the bigger tires? As anyone used these tires before? I am new to offroading so I weclome any suggestions. this is my daily driver too. I love the way my VX handles now but need a very agressive M/T that handles well on all road surfaces.

thanks Mike

Tone
05/17/2006, 06:20 PM
Use the search function for all the tires members have used and to find the link to the Miata tire TerraGrapplers sure look hot in that size.

crager34
05/17/2006, 07:38 PM
Look Here (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=796) for my choice in tires and rims. I had to do a little trimming, but totally worth it... TOTALLY!!

ZEUS
05/17/2006, 10:07 PM
The Yoke is a pretty decent all around mud tire really. I have a buddy who put the 285/75R16's on a Grand Cherokee 5.9 and then sold the Grand but kept the tires. He then put them on a Wrangler. I wheeled with him on several trails in Colorado and Utah and the Yokes always held up. The first 1/3 of tread wears pretty fast I think but he did put a lot of highway miles on them too when he had the Grand. They seemed reasonable for on-road handling... but you have to realize it's really just a mud tire. I know he would recommend them for wheeling but I cannot say they are a great tire during the winter... no mud tire is very good on ice! Not that I have seen anyway. In the snow, they did great. In the ice races we were in he got beat by a Subaru - pretty funny actually seeing a 5.9 get beat at something by a yuppie driving a Subaru wagon! I beat him too though in a stock Wrangler. You could get them siped but they tend to shred a lot faster on rocks if you do.

If you want a cheap set of rims look at getting some used stock Toyota or Nissan rims. I have found aluminum sets on eBay for $150 or so! Steel wheels are great for off-road but they take their toll on brake parts, acceleration, and gas mileage; especially with mudders. I would recommend aluminum if this is your daily driver and steel if you want more durability and a slightly lower c.o.g.

Right now, I have "street" 265/80R18's (31.5's) on an 8.5 wide rim with a 0 offset - they don't tuck in enough to flex out without rubbing the rear wheel well so pay attention to your offset and you should be able to fit a 31.5" tire without many problems but you will have to trim a little of the cladding up front anyway.

WiSDoM
05/18/2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys I am going to order my tires tonight and new rims as soon as i find the right size with offset and what not.

thanks again ;)

innercore
05/18/2006, 06:04 PM
I just purchased some BF Goodrich Longtrail 265/60/18 off of ebay from a local tire store here in Houston. Wow, do they make a big difference in the ride and the handling. Love them! Though, the idiots at Discount Tire stripped one of the bolts and it will have to be replaced. Discount Tire...it's all in the name! LOL. :o

mbeach
05/18/2006, 06:24 PM
Wisdom,
I had you in mind when I created this thread:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8823