PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Ninja 250R?

ISCE
05/10/2006, 10:34 AM
Ok, I am considering getting a bike again. Used to ride a LONG time ago, had a Suzuki that eventually was trashed due to 1 - my stupidity driving too fast, and 2 - sand on the road which caused a wreck straight on into a boulder. Two screws later in my left knee and lots of physical therapy I am probably 90% back in my leg, but I just lost the urge to ride.

It's been maybe 16 years since... and I am getting the urge to ride again. The VX is costing WAY too much to gas up, and these small bikes list new at only $3K. Was wondering if anyone has one and a recommendation.

My needs: better gas mileage (>70mpg for this bike) and something that handles great for my daily commute when it's nice. Only have about 12 miles each way for the commute. I could go the back scenic route and avoid traffic as well. Unfortunately with the VX it's a lot of hills and stops killing my gas mileage so I've been driving the congested beltway recently. Too old now to want or need to speed like the old days. From the simple searching I've seen online they seem to be decent little bike.

Thanks!
ISCE

thedutchguy
05/10/2006, 12:12 PM
Are you planning on buying a new bike or a used one?
The 250zzr asit is named here in europe is quite a bit of a high revver.
Reading the rest of your demands in the bike I think you wold be much more comfortable with a 600 single cil. or a 500 twin.
Perhaps a motorscooter?
the Yamaha majesty can travel up to 40 km's on 1 liter.

SPAZZ
05/10/2006, 12:23 PM
I used to have a Ninja 500 . Trust me the guys that bought a 250 were trading them or selling them after 3 to 6 months later. My 500 was ok for street riding, but after 6 months with highways or weekends in the hills and I wanted bigger. Probably 600 to start you out again and move up to 750 for tops if you never plan to do what you did in your ealier days.

Me, I will get my Hayabusa one day. Had the paperwork done one day just needed my first wife's signature. She said no because I would be riding it more than her. Go figure, she had to go and that day will come when I will have the chance again to get the Hayabusa.

Joe_Black
05/10/2006, 01:34 PM
Getcha a Kawasaki 454 LTD. You can find them cheap all day long and they're considered the "first Vulcan". Cruiser style belies the mill, which is literally a cut-in-half Ninja 900 engine. 908cc divided in half= 454cc, 4-valve DOHC and everything. Not to mention quiet, reliable belt drive from a 6-speed tranny and liquid cooling. It'll beat a 'vette in the 1/4 if you're so inclined and will startle the snot out of any kid on a new crotch rocket.

Bimati
05/10/2006, 02:48 PM
How big are you? My first "sport bike" was a Ninja 250. I am 6'3" and weigh 220. I looked and felt like a circus clown riding a minibike. It was a decent bike until I wrecked it....and the CBR600....and the CBR900...and the R1... :p

ISCE
05/10/2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone, good replies.

I am 5'9" and 170 lbs, so the size isn't all that small for me. I haven't actually seen one in person yet. Planning on hitting up the dealer on Friday to take a closer look.

I will check out some of the other bikes suggested too, thanks!