PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Toyota FJ Cruiser ?

Andrey
05/10/2006, 04:21 AM
MSRP starting at $21K it looks reasonable. I still have to develop my "like"-"dislike"......

Any thoughts ?

TEN36VX
05/10/2006, 05:31 AM
I think they look good.
However the interior looks cramped in the back.

Joe_Black
05/10/2006, 05:39 AM
I've heard and read nothing but good things about them, plus it's a Toyota. Was really excited to hear they were going into production, but became very disappointed now that I can't go down the street without seeing one. There must be 15 or 20 just here in town, and I live in a relatively small town. :rolleyes:

The VX really spoils you with individuality. ;)

Maugan_VX
05/10/2006, 06:02 AM
they look like crap IMHO.

Joe_Black
05/10/2006, 07:35 AM
I was just looking at two in the drive-thru lane which I can see through my office window and it occurred to me what they look like. Anyone remember that Disney sci-fi movie "The Black Hole"? There were a couple floating robots with retractable heads. The way the roofline is on the FJ and the round headlights make me think of those robots. Just had to share... :p

http://www.podster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fotos/vincent.jpg

WormGod
05/10/2006, 07:43 AM
I saw a blue one yesterday. It was cruising up the road at a "hefty" speed. The way he was driving it, there will be minus one FJ here very soon. Anyways, it didnt impress me. I got the "wow" factor for a second, and then reality kicked in and I wasnt so impressed. It was a hideous light blue and then what came to mind was plastic patio furniture. Just looked.... cheap. But, it IS a Toyota, so it is probably a pretty rugged, reliable truck and will run forever if you take care of it. Priced to sell too.

nfpgasmask
05/10/2006, 08:18 AM
they look like crap IMHO.

I 2nd that. I really don't like the design. It looks too close to the H3 imo. Me thinks its kinda ugly, but the price makes it look a little nicer I suppose. I'm sure its a decent truck, being from Toyota. I was actually going to test drive one, but fate intervened and I found my sweet EB 2001 VX instead!!!

:) Bart

mbeach
05/10/2006, 08:24 AM
Pro: As stated, it's a Toyota.

Con: It's offered in a 2wd configuration. This just betrays lineage, as if it's a Landcruiser in name only.

volume311
05/10/2006, 08:38 AM
Probably relly good off-road but really goofy lookin.

VehiGAZ
05/10/2006, 09:01 AM
A buddy of mine bought one the week they started delivering them to the Boston area. He really likes his, and said that a VX owner would be right at home in one - sun-visor visibility out the front, blocked-by-the-spare visibility out the back, restricted access to the rear seats.

Actually, he said there is plenty of room in the back seat when the fronts are positioned for normal-height adults, and getting the kids' seats in and out is not a problem.

I like the design, myself - although it is a bit awkward. I saw a silver one on a Toyota lot today, actually. I really like the look of the long wheelbase and the high ground clearance. It looks like it would be VERY effective off-road.

My buddy got his L-O-A-D-E-D and paid sticker for it - around $28k, I believe.

I was thinking about getting one myself, but I won't now that he has it.

Andrey
05/10/2006, 09:22 AM
to be honest with you I have not seen personally on the street yet... I guess I should test drive one. The look is definitely "off" main road.. I might need another vehicle but going with Highlander or something like it does not excite me mutch...

ISCE
05/10/2006, 10:26 AM
On my daily stop and go on the beltway I saw one the other day and in person just didn't like the looks at all. Also the light blue is just too light, looked more like a baby blue to me, but that's just my personal thoughts on it.

The cool thing is this: they were staring out at the VX as the PV2 gurgled past :-)

I've seen several on the road now, WAY more than the times I've seen another VX. I am sure it would be a decent vehicle, but just wasn't impressed seeing it up close.

Triathlete
05/10/2006, 10:41 AM
This ones pretty cool!
http://www.landcruisernw.com/Toyota_FJ004_640x480.jpg

Reg Hinnant
05/10/2006, 11:14 AM
I was disappointed in the length & width. I like the VX size.
And Oh BTW, the Toyota dealers are making sure you wont find one at base price. :p

Todd Adams
05/10/2006, 11:42 AM
And Oh BTW, the Toyota dealers are making sure you wont find one at base price. :p
That will change.

I had the Toyota folks with Linda and I on 2 of our EJS trails. One of the FJ’s was a pre production and the other a production model. Since I was driving by myself so I did not get the opportunity to drive one but did get to see them in action with not so skilled drivers behind the wheel taking directions from the so called experts that were hired by Toyota. I can tell you this, after a week in Moab the fleet of FJ’s were showing off a few “trail trophies”.
The FJ is very good off road. More capable stock than the VX with the traction control system and rear locker stock along with 32” tires. Since it is based on a proven chassis there are already many after market options including an ARB for the front already.
I am not crazy about the interior and dash but I can live with that even though you sit quite low and the visibility over the hood is a bit limited. I do like the suicide rear doors for easy access to the rear seating. I also like the fact that you can just take a hose to the interior to wash out the mud and dirt.
This will be an easy vehicle to upgrade into an even more capable off roader. With 33’s a bit of lift a winch and a front ARB it would take on all but the most difficult trails.
Everyone has his or her own tastes for the FJ looks but I have owned 2 Land Cruisers in the past including an FJ 55 which much of the retro looks come from on the new FJ. Now I just have to decide what color.

Mark B
05/10/2006, 12:02 PM
I have never seen the Toyota JF Cruiser so I went to Toyota.com and did the 360 view of the cruiser. Looks to square. Like the Element. It would look better if streamlined like the VX.

ZEUS
05/10/2006, 12:14 PM
I saw a buttload of them at this year's EJS as well and was frankly replused by the looks of that colorful turd. I saw a pretty girl driving one in SLC - she must of just pulled it off the lot because she almost killed it by popping the clutch! She looked like a head banger as she tried to get through the intersection but... she had a smile on her face! Any time I see one though I make sure to look away so that the driver doesn't think I am impressed by it because I truly think it is the ugliest SUV produced over the last several years. I try to have a humble opinion but I drive a VX, so it's hard!

Andrey
05/10/2006, 12:35 PM
This ones pretty cool!
http://www.landcruisernw.com/Toyota_FJ004_640x480.jpg

Looks funky ! I still love VX better but I can not get a new Proton anymore :(

Mr. I-MAN
05/10/2006, 12:40 PM
Looks like a mini cooper with a lift kit! Or a bastard child from a AMC eagle and mini - cooper love session

Andrey
05/10/2006, 01:03 PM
I think it's a poorman's Hummer (I include myself into this category) :)... no seriously in size this thing should be close to H2 or H3 right ? just with better milage...

Mr. I-MAN
05/10/2006, 01:29 PM
Built up properly the thing looks like it can hold own or better off road, I'm still a big fan of the old school FJ though. The new ones are just to bubbly looking. IMHO I would take a VX over it in a heartbeat.

Joe_Black
05/10/2006, 01:29 PM
no seriously in size this thing should be close to H2 or H3 right ?
The original Toyota FJ series was about the size of an old CJ Jeep.

http://www.restoredfj40.com/images/gesiks_stable/destination_folder/images/81%20FJ40_2_2.jpg

transio
05/10/2006, 01:37 PM
Loved the old FJs. The new one isn't awful, but the proportions are out of whack.

etlsport
05/10/2006, 01:37 PM
im still on the fence, sometimes i look at it and love it, sometimes i hate it.. i see a blue one (but it looks like a darker blue than everyone it talking about) every day.. looks like itd be lots of fun on the trails... the driver usually looks frustrated in the city though... a month or two ago motor trend had a pretty good comparison with the FJ, H3, Xterra and Liberty.. might be worth checkin out.. of if you cant find it i can probably scan it in and email to you... might be worth lookin at the xterra.. i think the article said it was very similar to the FJ

Heraclid
05/10/2006, 03:16 PM
Never really saw the attraction of it, but I do know people who are in love with them and I haven't had the heart to say I don't care for it. Having seen several on the road now, I think it has grown on me a little bit, but I still don't think the styling is anything to write home about.

Now an interior you could wash out would be cool. Honda Elements have it. I would never wash it though (think about it). It would just be alot easier to clean and vacuum than carpet.

climbcovey
05/10/2006, 04:04 PM
I test drove one, I like it. Toyota will only produce 30,000 of them per year so they are somewhat limited. Didn't like the limited driveline options (1 of 3 choices) I was hoping for 6 speed manuad option with rear diff lockout and cluth start options. you cant get that combo. I also found one under list price(barely, and only because they were going to give me $500 off for being a firefighter) It was loaded. They offered me $10,000 in trade for my VX. Still thinking about it!

IndianaVX
05/10/2006, 06:38 PM
well, i saw one, my first, yesterday, and wondered what it was, then saw the toyota on the grill. figured it out. i too, could not look real close,(didnt want driver to think i was checkin it out, but did out of the corner of my eye, with shades on...) I HATED IT. have any of you seen the kit for jeeps fenders where it looks like 2x 8s bolted to the side panels, becoming your fenders, (maybe some kinda jeep/hummer thing)??? the toyota made me think of that. i thought it was awful, and yeah it is a toyota, and propably does good off road, but its one ugly mudder trucker........just my opinion.
but again, the vx, imo, is still so ahead of its time, and the toyota is right here in 2006, the vx is still a statement in distinctive looks, not just another copy.
ive said enough.....have other post to make.....
david

Bimati
05/11/2006, 04:41 AM
Makes me want to jab a fork in my eye every time I see one.

It's the ugliest "retro" I've ever seen, and I'm tempted to take one for a test drive and slam it into a wall just so there would be one less in existence. I must go...I think I'm going to be sick.

VehiGAZ
05/11/2006, 06:32 AM
Seeing as this limited-production long-anticipcated vehicle hit dealer lots all of three weeks ago, you can expect to wait until the fall to actually get a below-sticker deal on one.

Wow, such vehement distaste expressed for the FJ! As if not condemning it would somehow be an insult to your VX...

transio
05/11/2006, 08:37 AM
They offered me $10,000 in trade for my VX. Still thinking about it!Yeah, that's why they're giving you under list.... cause they can sell your Proton ALL DAY for $15k. Sell it outright and see if they'll still honor their offer.

whtzmbi
05/11/2006, 11:02 AM
We have one here in Heath, OH at a dealership I stopped to look at it in my VX and they were more interested in looking at my VX than telling me about the FJ any way it's a yellow one like in the above picture...the suicide doors to the back are pretty cool however it did look like a cartoon car....they were asking $31K for it.....but if you think about it the VX was pretty steep when they first came out...imo....I love my VX.....

Chopper
05/11/2006, 06:25 PM
Wow, it's a loooong way to that windshield!!!

Andrey
05/11/2006, 06:35 PM
Have you noticed 3 ! whindshild wipers :freek:

Chopper
05/11/2006, 06:47 PM
Had a Peterbuilt with three wipers, a very long time ago.

climbcovey
05/12/2006, 02:10 PM
Kinda reminds me of an international scout. Hey Transio, are you saying you would pay 15k for my proton? hmmm......

innercore
05/12/2006, 06:49 PM
The FJ looks like a nice car. Someone in my neighborhood has a blue one. I don't like blue but the car looks good and it is a Toyota. But, I looked long and hard for my Isuzu Vehicross and I am very happy and satisfied. Plus, who wants to blow 30,000 grand when you can get a good Vehicross for under $14,000 and it still looks high speed and low drag! The VX is all about a Recce Proto.

Andrey
06/01/2006, 05:58 PM
Well, I drove one today. I still have mixed sences about it. Ride is comfortable, quiter then VX, larger inside, reasonably good access to the rear seat. Sits on the road like a TANK - limited manuverability. NOTHING like VX ! I pushed it and tach needle went into red zone right away. Severely UNDERPOWERED - well maybe I am too demanding, sorry !.
Not peppy like VX. not FUN to drive like VX :)

there is no other vehicle performing like VX out there in that price range. I am not talking about 50K + BMW or Infinity FX45 (have not driven one)

I think it is a good vehicle...just not quite like VX :) I need to lower my expectations :)

Has hitch but I am not sure if there is enough ponnies to pull my boat :)

Velvis
06/01/2006, 11:58 PM
FX45 is a RIDE! But 50k+ is excessive. In comparison, our VX for 11-17k in good shape, especially if we can track its history here, is a blast. In fin eeety owners don't feel this kinda love...
velvis

blacksambo
06/09/2006, 08:23 AM
The FJ Cruiser is outfitted inside and ou like a kids' toy. It's so juvenile looking in detail the target market for it design-wise has got to 17 year olds. Perhaps that answers the underpowered question of not giving the kiddees enough horsepower to hurt themselves. Remember Toyota has invested mightily in Scion another kids targeted vehicle with a fair amount of success. This may an experiment to move the main brand name into this youth market realm?