PDA

View Full Version : Moab Mountain Biking

MSHardeman
05/09/2006, 08:05 AM
I know, I know...blasphemer!! Yes, I'm going to Moab to revel in the VX and all things 'Zu, but I figured that while I was there it would be nice to get some mountain biking in too. Is anyone else interested in bringing their gear and doing a little two wheelin' while we're there?

I was also thinking of getting a group together to go to Arches National Park. Any takers there too?

Moncha
05/09/2006, 08:15 AM
Take advantage of the area!! There's lot's to do outside of bouncing 'round in your VX.. HAVE FUN!!!

Locomigo
05/09/2006, 08:34 AM
That's why we are leaving Saturday. Going to hit Arches on Monday and do some hiking, etc. On Sunday (mothers day) we are going to take it easy and verify the geophotocaching coordinates and generate the answer key. :cool:

Brought my bike the last three years and hit a few trails with it. Not a bad option, but only bringing the boy's bike with us this year... so he can ride around camp, etc. I didnt feel the need to bring mine this year as I just dont foresee a lot of time to ride with the hiking and staff duties that I will have.

We have also done some rafting there before too and that was pretty fun, although more of a float trip than rapids...

Gemini Bridges is a GREAT trail to ride when entering from the 313 (north) entrance if you want mostly downhill type action. There is that last climb out of the valley to the mesa and back down to the parking area @ 191 (best to leave a vehicle there with your group to go get the other vehicle on 313).

Klondike Bluffs is another great trail to ride if you are into the dino prints at all.

Porcupine Rim is awesome on a bike with incredible scenery.

The road by Kens Lake that goes up into the La Sals is great to blast down... (need a ride to the top and follow down is the best option, easy to wipe out there)

Fins n Things will astound you with the traction of slickrock.

There are tons of options, and those are the ones I know of and have either helped out or done myself.

climbcovey
05/09/2006, 09:12 AM
If only I hade vacation time!!! Being that I'm in my probationary year with the new Fire Dept I don't accrue vacation time until August. Just wanted to throw my name out there for future reference. I'm an avid mountain biker! Let me know of any future plans, or anything closer to me for the time being and I'M in!!! By the way Lake Placid in upstate New York has an olympic ranked ski resort that does mountain biking in the off season. Ride the gondola to the top with your bike strapped to the front, And what a ride down!!!!! My first mistake was starting on the hardest possible trail, essentially a wash out down the side of the mountain. Picture a giant staircase with 6 foot stairs made of slick wet boulders, throw in some downed trees and some deep mud! Ended up carrying my bike more than I rode it. Second trip down was much better. took a switchback trail that crossed back and forth across the face. Speed, air, mud, trees,did I say speed? Oh yeah and all downhill!!! it was a blast! definately worth the trip.
On a side note (this is no joke) I do recommend full motocross attire. Some of the trails include service roads consisting of softball size to basketball sized boulders,that jump out of nowhere. At speeds of 45-55 mph according to my superbly calibrated cats eye speedometer, these boulders can prove fatal. Anyway have fun at moab, maybe next year i can join you!

Triathlete
05/09/2006, 09:28 AM
No Mt Biking for me but I will be doing a little running in the afternoon/eveings after wheeling. Trail running is the best! 90% of my running is on dirt.

Locomigo
05/09/2006, 09:50 AM
Yep all the resorts here do the same.

Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper Mountain, Pergatory, etc do the downhill rides in the summer with the lifts to the top.

Quite the experience....

That combined with all of the other single track here makes CO to be quite the location for an outdoors oriented person.

rowhard
05/09/2006, 07:23 PM
Were bring our bikes, but looking for a 1.0 minus trail to ride on.