PDA

View Full Version : front speed sensors cross reference

Tobert
05/08/2006, 01:20 PM
I broke both of my speed sensors trying to remove them from the hubs yesterday :( (that's what I get for following the instructions in the shop manual - should have left them in and removed the cable instead) I called allhyundaiisuzuparts.com and they want over $100 each for them. So I was looking around on the web for a set and found that most places don't even list them. Autozone doesnt, NAPA doesn't. What's weird is these are probably like O2 sensors. A few suppliers (e.g. Bosch) make the same part for many brands (Ford/GM/etc.) so it might be possible to use, say, one out of a GM vehicle. Can this one really be unique in any way?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-2005-CHEVROLET-TRUCK-FRONT-ABS-WHEEL-SPEED-SENSOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33560QQitemZ8062 286524QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Does anybody have a measurement for what the inputs/outputs are on these? I have an O-scope and test station, so I can measure before hooking up to mine. Since I broke both of my front sensors, I don't have a reference. I'll post back here if I have luck but thought I'd see if anybody else tried this path. I can imagine we'll want to have a listing of all of these kind of parts we can cross-reference that maybe aren't listed by default in the parts sellers' catalogues.

Anyways, I'm gonna run off to my local scrap yard where he'll sell them to me dirt cheap. If somebody can at least take a resistance reading from theirs, I'd appreciate it. I'll order OEM parts if I'm not absolutely sure the junk yard special will work. I have the cash, but these parts really don't seem to be worth $120-$300 each to me. They're just hall-effect sensors. No magic smoke in there.

-Tobert

Joe_Black
05/08/2006, 01:58 PM
Did you try getting the Trooper parts from your local supplier?

Tobert
05/08/2006, 05:19 PM
Did you try getting the Trooper parts from your local supplier?

Nope. I would have thought that would be the one cross reference they got right. I'll take what's left of one of mine to the local NAPA and compare them. There's one within 10 miles of me that is adjacent to the local NAPA distribution warehouse, so they have everything possible in stock. Awful convenient, that.

Thanks for the tip! I'll report back if its an exact match.

-Tobert

bobmumgaard
05/08/2006, 10:28 PM
I also have a broken abs speed sensor. Merlin said it was over $300 new and didn't know of a cross reference (there has to be one though) I found one on an on-line junkyard for 120. But for those kahunas i can do without abs for awhile.

Joe_Black
05/09/2006, 05:46 AM
Isuzu is well known for using their existing parts bin rather than re-engineering everything. Although I don't have the manuals or parts at hand, I'd be willing to bet good money that the ABS speed sensors are identical across the line for the VX/Trooper/Rodeo/Amigo.