PDA

View Full Version : Simple question....can't find answer

nfpgasmask
05/07/2006, 08:45 PM
I am a noob at only 2 days of ownership. I just bought a wicked EB 2001 VX and I am stoked. I want to pull the stock tape/deck radio and put in my head unit. Can someone point me in the direction of a step by step for getting into the dash to pull the radio out?

Thanks!!

Bart

etlsport
05/07/2006, 08:52 PM
go to www.tonemonday.com and on the VX parts page at the bottom you can download the VX shop manual (i think its for a 2000.. but the differences are very very minor if there are any at all) it gives you step by steps for pretty much anything youd ever want to do in your vx

VehiX
05/08/2006, 06:21 AM
It's really pretty simple. Just undo all the screws around the guage console and down along the trim of the center dash. The only problem I had taking mine out was getting the guage console out. The steering wheel tends to get in the way so take it easy and with careful manipulation this piece will come out. Just be careful and take your time. Don't force anything that doesn't feel like it wants to move. Try different departure angles as you try to remove the trim. Once the trim is out of the way, I believe the radio just has a few screws on the front of each side, once undone the radio will just slide out.

Good luck :)

nfpgasmask
05/08/2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys, one more question you probably know. Once I pull the stock radio, I plan to put in my JVC head unit. I will also be pulling the CD changer and putting in a pocket. Regarding my JVC unit, is there a special wiring harness I need to purchase? I had it connected in my 2000 Nissan Xterra before, so I am not sure if I will need any extra stuff. I also need to find out if I need a DIN kit for it, I assume I will need something to make it all flush.

Thanks again, Bart

SkidPlate
05/09/2006, 06:05 PM
You should pick up a wiring harness that connects to the factory plug, then you won't have to cut anything.

Go buy a Metra 70-7712 for ISUZU/Honda Passport 95-up. Any place that installs aftermarket stereos should have it, or something similar.

Then you just pull the brackets off the factory radio and bolt them to yours, plenty of room in the back for wires.

Good luck.

Maugan_VX
05/10/2006, 06:25 AM
while you've got everything off, go ahead and run an RCA or two from your HU and snake it down through the dash. That way when you DO add a sub or amp your speakers, you wont have to take everything apart again.

nfpgasmask
05/10/2006, 08:23 AM
Good ideas, thanks for the input. I have this project scheduled for this weekend.

By the way, my decision went back and forth on weather or not to keep the CD changer, as my head unit will control it with an added cable, until yesterday when the changer decided to make up my mind for me. It is holding three of my CDs hostage right now, and is beeping everytime I startup, so that little bugger is coming out :)

Bart

etlsport
05/10/2006, 01:14 PM
look in the how to section under electronics.. theres a step by step to recover the hostages

nfpgasmask
05/16/2006, 11:55 AM
CD Changer removed, hostages recovered, cubby installed, radio swapped, good to go.

Thanks. Now I need to rig up a glove box LCD....

Bart