PDA

View Full Version : Window Fix & Skid Plates - UPDATE

Joe_Black
05/05/2006, 07:05 AM
I've gotten a few messages on these two things and figured just to blast out an update for those interested.

Window Fix - I received the window regulator graciously provided by WyldWeasel and will be digging into that over the weekend. My first impression is that some things are different than they appeared on an installed regulator, but the real effect is on the difficulty involved for the end-user install. I want a permament, effective fix that can be done by just about anyone and that's what I'll work towards. More on this sunday evening.

Skid Plates - Between my currently chaotic work schedule and my friend's shop having all the lifts full, well, no pictures have been taken. I spoke with him this morning and there should be no problem Monday-Tuesday, so I'll post and link bigger photos the evening I get 'em taken. Then y'all can review and post edits of what you think would work and we can go from there. I'm willing to do a couple different versions as long as I can effectively use the materials and simple jigs. Since these pieces will be relatively small I can keep the jigs on a shelf and make a set whenever someone wants them.

Thanks to all for the interest and support! :)

mbeach
05/05/2006, 08:19 AM
Something to think about Joe,
Some users might prefer skid bars over plates.
The design posted earlier (the VX 'jockstrap') while looking very protective, also looks like a PITA to clean mud out of.

Maybe you could fab up a protective cage, that a plate could be welded over/bolted on, if the buyer wanted it. That would cut your fab time down, save on shipping, and give the user an option to change materials (like my plastic) if they desire.

Just picture a ladder (with smaller rungs) under the truck.

Joe_Black
05/05/2006, 12:52 PM
I had planned several drain holes about 1.5" diameter which should be plenty big enough to wash mud and rocks out without sacrificing any strength. Plus that's real easy to incorporate into the template used by the plasma cutter.

I'm posting the pics for suggestions though, so y'all can copy them and draw in whatever you'd like and post back into the thread for group review. My hope is by starting a visual dialog between what's desired and what my capabilities are that a couple final designs can be agreed upon. Then I build to order. ;)

Joe_Black
05/07/2006, 06:18 PM
I really got into the window regulator contributed by WyldWeasel this weekend and believe I've got a fix that can be easily installed. Needed some help with prototyping the part so met with a friend today who has a little small-part fabrication experience and will have a test part made up over the next week. Once it's fitted I'll test in the IronMan which I'm daily-driving right now. I'll post progress and any tweaking to keep everyone informed, as I aim to get it into production once the design is finalized.

There's a lot of ways the window issue can be permanently "fixed", but the real challenge for me is to develop something that almost anyone can install in their garage with basic tools and simple instructions.

mrlarrys
05/11/2006, 05:53 PM
Joe - count me in when you make the part for the window fix - my window tilts foward and I need a fix

innercore
05/11/2006, 05:57 PM
Sounds good to me. Count me in too.

Joe_Black
05/11/2006, 07:33 PM
I've got some preliminary work done on the prototype part, so hopefully can install and start testing soon. I just can't express how excited I am about this!

Interestingly enough, when I was at my friend's shop getting the underside photos of the IronMan he had a Lincoln Town Car in getting a new window regulator. So I had a good look at the Ford unit and it was very enlightening to see how it was different from the Isuzu version. Oh, I also got to see a late model Rodeo window regulator and ours is almost identical. Something to think about for parts.

Groovium
05/12/2006, 08:47 AM
Hi Joe!

FWIW, there's a bunch of VehiCross parts on eBay right now, including another window regulator, if you need extra. Also, count me in on your custom skid plates. I want to up-armor my Foxfire for Big Sur and I'm eager to support our remarkable VX aftermarket wizards!

RAZ
05/12/2006, 10:56 AM
count me in when you make the part for the window fix
STEVE

creeg
05/12/2006, 11:21 AM
dont need a window fix just yet, but its starting to get slow- so potential future buyer here.

VXR
05/17/2006, 06:44 PM
another buyer for the window fix when available...

johnnyapollo
05/17/2006, 08:14 PM
Joe sent me a sketchup file today to mock up a prototype (wood or plastic/nylon if I can get it). I'm actually out of town this weekend but hope to get something done for him early next week.

-- John

Tetsuo99
05/19/2006, 05:22 AM
I would gladly purchase a window repair solution, too. Good luck to you dedicated VXers working on this fix who make the VehiCROSS world a friendly place for new owners like me to live in.

WyrreJ
05/21/2006, 05:12 PM
My window is starting to tilt more frequently, so I'd buy one, probably two, to be safe.

While you are at it, can you look into what it might take to make it go faster? I don't haul kids my VX, and I would really like to have power windows that go like 2x or 3x faster than stock.

ctp
06/01/2006, 11:34 PM
Count me in for whatever it takes to fix both windows.

First the cd player, now the windows :mad:

dynofan
06/02/2006, 08:08 AM
Gotta love those guys looking for a "better mousetrap!" Count me in!!!

rx7tt95
06/04/2006, 12:44 PM
I'm in as well.

Maugan_VX
06/04/2006, 01:36 PM
After scraping up the bottom pretty good today at Uwharrie, I need to sign up for a skid as well :)

Joe_Black
06/04/2006, 05:56 PM
No one's sent me any suggestions from my posted pics. :(

Don't tell me I gotta come up with these things all by myself? :confused:

Maugan_VX
06/04/2006, 06:59 PM
The only design aspect that I care about is that its gotta keep my important bits from getting crushed these by rock thingers:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/optmusprimer/rover/100_0137.jpg

Ldub
06/05/2006, 04:41 AM
Joe,
How about something out of 3/16" steel daimondplate to cover the gas tank.
I know it seems redundant, since there is already a skidder back there, but since taking some heavy hits back there @ Moab, it seems like a good idea.
Maybe bring the top edge up on to the cladding a couple of inches?
Thanks, Ldub

Joe_Black
06/05/2006, 05:25 AM
Can you send some pics of where you scraped the tank? That would help a lot in gauging some additional armor. For the set I'm making for myself I'm using a lot of my Uwharrie ) contact points. Nothing better than real-world data! ;)

Moncha
06/05/2006, 07:31 AM
Joe, did you see the pics I posted of Jay Dunford's plate (I can't find that posting)? I called it the "Jock Strap" 'cuz it only covered the esentials..
Although I do have a full length plate, via Tone, and it works very well in Moab, here in Colorado, the granite is much harder and the plate will hang up and you cannot just "Cheese Grate" the stone down and get over the obstacle. With the Jock Strap, it still allows for all the little spaces that allows for the rocks and trees to "poke into" without touching.

Moncha
06/05/2006, 10:33 AM
Here's a little overlay of what I thought would be a good "Main" plate.. It's derived from Jay's plate and I've re-included the original pics.. They are large so it's gonna mees up the thread..

http://www.vehicross.info/misc/jock_strap/jock_strap.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/misc/jock_strap/plate.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/misc/jock_strap/plate1.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/misc/jock_strap/plate2.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/misc/jock_strap/plate3.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/misc/jock_strap/plate4.jpg

Maugan_VX
06/05/2006, 10:39 AM
This past weekend at Uwharrie the only parts I scraped were the "ears" on the frame rail where the rear suspension linkage arm meets the frame. It wasn't that bad of damage but it was enough to high-center me.

If anyone is familiar with the particular rock, its what we call the "Grenade" thats just before the rock garden on Rocky Mount (or is it dutch john, I can't remember). Its a nasty lil obstacle that doesn't LOOK that hard at first, but when you come to it, it can be quite a problem if you aren't locked up or have a bit of momentum going.

I spent 5 minutes trying to get off it with help from a spotter, and probably could have done it if I hadn't high centered on the frame rail. At that point a crazy guy in a piece of crap toy pickup was getting obnoxious and beeping his horn at us to get moving.

bulldog
06/05/2006, 12:23 PM
count me in too,,my passenger side motor just died

majork
06/10/2006, 08:06 AM
Any updates on the success of the Window Fix.....I have been enduring this window thing for a while...

Basically on a bad window day, I need 2 hands to raise the window; one to push the button and one to keep the window from canting forward and jamming

Luckily I am in desert dry dusty conditions...so the window gaskets are not usually that grippy...causing them to more likely bind against the window

Ldub
06/10/2006, 08:54 AM
Can you send some pics of where you scraped the tank? That would help a lot in gauging some additional armor. For the set I'm making for myself I'm using a lot of my Uwharrie ) contact points. Nothing better than real-world data! ;)

Ummm...scraped?, scraped doesn't quite cover it :( ...more like crushed.
Sorry I can't post pics, I'm currently having some "issues" with photo programs.
I was thinking of covering at least the back 2/3-3/4 of the tank & maybe coming up on the cladding an inch or two.

Bulldoggie
06/10/2006, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=Moncha]Here's a little overlay of what I thought would be a good "Main" plate.. It's derived from Jay's plate and I've re-included the original pics.. They are large so it's gonna mees up the thread..

Moncha; I agree these picture are great, a very stong skid plate that protects the "soft parts", and can hold the weight if high centered without getting bent up into ?
It looks like it has been well tested, judging by the scrapes.

Triathlete
06/10/2006, 11:50 AM
The "jock strap" idea is a good design. The round tube in the front area is good but the lower parts going under everything hangs a little low. The tubing neds to be notched or flatter tubing used to gain more ground clearance. An easy 1 or more inches could be gained. The overall idea is great though. Its flat, smooth and covers the vitals without being overly sized and adding excessive weight.
When the $$$ becomes available I plan on having something similar fabbed but it will tie into custom front and rear bumpers (mounted through the cladding) and rock sliders.
*(enter dream cloud)Then when I win the lottery the 4 link SAS will follow!(exit dream cloud)*

Joe_Black
07/10/2006, 07:58 PM
While passing through Atlanta on Sunday I had the great pleasure of visiting with Johnnyapollo for breakfast, where he provided the first prototype part for the window fix. I'll be installing it after this weekend for trial fitting and if no adjustments are needed then operational testing.

Stay tuned! :)

Joe_Black
08/07/2006, 06:18 PM
The wooden prototype part has revealed some minor issues with my original measurements, but this is a very good thing and I'm moving on to a composite part for day-to-day testing in the IronMan. A friend who does a lot of spin-casting and hobby molding is going to make a female silicone mold to cast an Alumilite part from a fiberglass plug I've almost finished. Hopefully this will be the final or next to final part before proceeding to mass production and into the hands of the VX family.

Spike
08/07/2006, 10:12 PM
I called it the "Jock Strap" 'cuz it only covered the esentials..

I think I would call it a 'cup'

VXFTW
08/08/2006, 09:59 AM
Count me in on the jock strap/underbody protection. I emailed the folks at baertrax.com a while back and they told me all that work was custom and they didn't have a kit and could only do the work in TX. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near TX, so I'm eager to get an off-road kit started for my VX. Please, please, please tell me this is going to happen!