PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

rowhard
05/03/2006, 05:32 PM
Has any research been done on upgrading the brakes for the VX? I want to do a upgrade to 4 or 6 pot calipers with larger rotors. Any hints??

Joe_Black
05/03/2006, 05:49 PM
If you change the calipers and rotors to multi-pot/larger units you'll also need to either disable or modify the ABS system and add an appropriate master cylinder. Don't forget the proportioning valve either.

Generally the VX has plenty of brakes. I've rallied it pretty hard on both asphalt, gravel and dirt surfaces and there's no issue with stoppage.

So if you are having problems stopping, you have a problem. Correct it before you become more familiar with certain physical laws.

Hotsauce
05/03/2006, 08:00 PM
As long as total piston area remains the same you'll have no problems from the abs computer.

John C.

mbeach
05/03/2006, 09:37 PM
I've searched this to death.
I'm a big fan of big brakes, but in the case of the VX, Joe is correct -the VX has plenty of brakes for the type of driving it was designed for.
If you're just looking to fill the wheels, there might be a Baer EradiSpeed kit that will swap over (no luck finding one though).

You could do custom hats/rotors through Wilwood or DBA, and then source your calipers from any number of manufacturers. Add mounting brackets (custom) and lines and you're there.
The best tip that I can give you is to do a search for "Bruce Garland +Jackaroo". He had upgraded brakes on his racing trucks -I haven't had any luck in getting specs for them though.