PDA

View Full Version : Can We Do This ?

james1_10018
04/16/2003, 09:45 AM
I would pay someone to make something like this for my VX, any joiners ? Maybe we can ask one of these guys who fabricate stuff (Tone can you ?)
I want this baaaaadly

http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery/view.asp?image=39588&pub=9

Tone
04/16/2003, 09:54 AM
Sure, I can fabricate a one-of dash screeen piece like that, relocate your AC vents and controls - all for about $5000 - please send the funds and I’ll get started on it. Or save $4000 and get a bigger, better retractable 7” screen for the dash and play with the extra funds. Check out the screen in an Axiom or Lexus or BMW with the visibility issues in sunlight / glare and you’ll see the motorized with angle adjustments are superior in many ways.

WormGod
04/16/2003, 10:00 AM
$5k?! Holy bejeebus! I think that in all reality, I would just hire a midget to sit in my car and entertain me and passengers for that much. ;)

Anita
04/16/2003, 10:02 AM
James,

Perhaps you have already made a search on this topic already, but there are pics of many different ways members have installed screens. Whether to view objects with a rear facing camera or to view DVDs, different configuations can be found -- On dash, in dash retractable, in the little cubby hole to the left of the steering wheel....

james1_10018
04/16/2003, 10:14 AM
I already have an eclipse 7002 from 99. The issue is that it looks so good and so stock. The eclipse is probably the best looking
piece in my opinion compared to other audio video heads I have see , its just not stock looking

phines
04/16/2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by WormGod
$5k?! Holy bejeebus! I think that in all reality, I would just hire a midget to sit in my car and entertain me and passengers for that much. ;)

heheh heh heheh heh... midgets are cool...

;wtf;

Sorry, feeling stupid today.
________
Head shop (http://headshop.net/)

Tone
04/16/2003, 11:36 AM
I’ve got some midget friends who work cheap....

Small 2” screens such as for the cubby and rear view mirror are aweful small for the type of image you need when backing up. I’m off to Frye’s to pick up one of the 5” screens that plugs into the lighter socket to see how well it works but this seems to be the most cost effective solution I have seen.

Panther_Black_VX
04/16/2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Tone
Sure, I can fabricate a one-of dash screeen piece like that, relocate your AC vents and controls - all for about $5000 - please send the funds and I’ll get started on it. .

Hey Tone I tried to send the funds but PayPal wouldn't accept a money transfer that large.... hehehe.... :laugho:

However, I momentarily believed you and for a brief second was about to flip a coin to decide between
- SuperCharger
or
- Indash whachamaho!

:)

Tone
04/16/2003, 12:25 PM
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33bb7a0846b

Screen looks good but not as bright as my indash pop-out screen. Tuner works well and comes with an ultraslim remote. Shaft that goes into the cig lighter needs to be heated and bent slightly to clear the stock shift knob when in park but other wise just plugs right in - video in functions well. Shot below is broadcast TV in my garage.

IsuZOOM
04/16/2003, 12:38 PM
Not much of a bargain at $300... you can get a cheap in-dash 5" LCD screen for $200. I suppose this unit is amazingly easy to "install", but so is a single-DIN device.

Tone
04/16/2003, 12:45 PM
It plugs into the cigarette lighter - let me know how that 5” screen mount fabrication is coming, finished yet? This also has a built in TV tuner, measures 5”, and has a video in jack. I just added a video screen and tv in one minute while you are still just talking and talking and talking about it. And did you miss the post about it being on sale for $188 plus tax? Guess so.....

IsuZOOM
04/16/2003, 01:16 PM
Sure, it's convenient, but kind of reminds me of using a Sony Discman on a little stand with the cassette adapter plugged into the tape deck to get CD sound. Cheap and easy? Sure. But to each his own! I'm looking for a sleek / hidden look that doesn't just look like I threw some components in the car. I'll not judge others, this is just what I want, and yes, it's taking a lot of research to ensure that I'll be satisfied with the final result :) I'm hoping that the bottom DIN spot will work, if the screen can be angled to view it comfortably from down there.

Tone
04/16/2003, 02:22 PM
Can you explain how you are going to fit a 5” screen fit in a single din space? The bottom slot is partially blocked by the shift lever so a popout screen is going to be difficult to see and use, especially when backing up. I agree about doing it right but YOU seem concerned about saving money. I already have a pop out 7” screen that is perfect and disappears when parked.

The camera you have power bought is quite large if it is the same as Ricks and only a few infrared LEDs will be able to “see” through the slim opening in the cover - Rick cut a hole so the whole camera can see outside.

Randy, please fill out the rest of your profile so we’ll know more about you.

WormGod
04/16/2003, 02:40 PM
Once again, let us not forget.... we VX'ers are pioneers to the new and daring world of modding. Build a bridge to the moon, and we would jump in line to be the first to try it.

I personally cant wait to get all these goods in my garage so I can tinker away. Now, if I oculd only decide what damned monitor to get and where to put it..... *sigh*

Alpine has a cherry 7" widescreen LCD for about $350, but I dunno about dumping those duckets for the monitor. The 5" Clarion wasnt widescreen but it matched the color on the interior rather well and only ran about $200. This will be a looong weekend of thought.

-x-
04/16/2003, 03:00 PM
....you guys got a good thread goin and i cant just sit idly by and not put in some info. I recently Installed my 7" o/h monitor and am very satisfied w/what im getting out of it and was surprised to find out in its position it is sufficient for front and rear passengers to enjoy. (no second monitor needed) And w/my head unit in the cd changer slot the open bay from the radio (in theory will be tha new home for my PS2 :D Im having that area customized (fiberglassed) to fit the ps2 cd slot this weekend. Pics of the monitor will be up by mornin and the ps2 stuff by end of the weekend. happy moddin peoples.....x

IsuZOOM
04/16/2003, 03:13 PM
Can you explain how you are going to fit a 5” screen fit in a single din space?There are lots of single-DIN 5" LCD screens. The Pyle 5.6" unit that's all over ebay for $200 is one I'm considering.

The bottom slot is partially blocked by the shift lever so a popout screen is going to be difficult to see and use, especially when backing up.I agree, it's definitely going to have to be tested before I'd advocate others planning on using that spot for a screen.

I agree about doing it right but YOU seem concerned about saving money.Yeah, me, and just about everyone else around here :) I know that personally I'd rather not spend $1,000-2,000 on this system, and if it can be done for $300, and still look and work well, that's a viable option. If I had unlimited funds, I'd put a MB SLK on the ML320 running gear (which I've seen on the net) but I don't have a mil to burn so I bought a VX :D

I already have a pop out 7” screen that is perfect and disappears when parked.And you spent what?

The camera you have power bought is quite large if it is the same as Ricks and only a few infrared LEDs will be able to “see” through the slim opening in the cover - Rick cut a hole so the whole camera can see outside.Well, the camera is 1.93" diameter I believe, and the pop-out plug is like 1.25 x 3", so we can either mount it inside and not use all of the IR LED's, or cut the half-moon a bit and sort of surface mount it. I guess we'll see when it gets here, it's not going to be the sort of thing you remove often (if ever) so a permanent mounting shouldn't be an issue.

Randy, please fill out the rest of your profile so we’ll know more about you. What more would you like to know? I thought it was fairly complete.

AnalogVX
04/16/2003, 03:34 PM
I am getting tired of all this bickering back and forth about who spent what, who's is better than who. The only thing that matters is what YOU like in YOUR truck. We have a unique vehicle and I have seen some very unique mods. Some don't meet my personal tastes, but I respect the fact that someone put a lot of thought, time and money into it.

IsuZOOM
04/16/2003, 03:46 PM
I've gotten at least TWENTY emails asking similar questions about what monitor I like, what I'm going to install, why, what other options, etc. I think the forum is the PERFECT place to discuss this. I don't take anything personally, I don't see how any of this is a personal attack, I've certainly never meant to direct anything in that direction. I know that I wish there were discussions like this already that I could lend from, but I can't find any. So I do my own research, post my findings, and hope others post replies so I have other options and opinions to weigh.

Simon Templar
04/16/2003, 03:51 PM
I've got some midget friends who work cheap....

That's odd....

I have some cheap friends that work like midgets! ;Db;

....sT

Joe_Black
04/16/2003, 08:23 PM
What would be REALLY cool is if we could get someone to fab a mirror image of the JDM dash in CF. Then you'd have a shaded in-dash location for a LCD and a wicked looking interior. Just like the JDM VX but in LHD. Wish wish wish...

Zu4two
04/16/2003, 09:26 PM
They're not midgets, they're little people

SPAZZ
04/16/2003, 10:07 PM
Ok, ok, ok, we might as well start Dwarf tossing....

edyavno
04/16/2003, 10:41 PM

Small 2” screens such as for the cubby and rear view mirror are aweful small for the type of image you need when backing up.

My rear view mirror monitor is 5" ...

paultvx
04/17/2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by edyavno
My rear view mirror monitor is 5" ...

And that's 2" shorter than some. Others can get 10" and folds too! This thread is starting to sound like one of those spam ads.

james1_10018
04/17/2003, 07:58 AM
Guy I have to support Randy, This forum is used for mod and so so forth,we have to discuss what some people like or dont like . There is nothing personal and if you dont like it just let go and dont read it(the thread).

The VX is a futuristic car with a fun to drive personality, but, we know from the begining the dash is old style and doesnt befit such an interesting and beautiful vehicle. So we as VXers, if there are among us experts who can fix such a problem or some of us can just contribute ideas for discussion, let it be. We can make the car more beautiful, interesting and fun. Some people moded their mufflers, some added super chargers etc and some want a better dash

James

WormGod
04/17/2003, 08:01 AM
Well, I have a snake.... one time, I gave him some beer. He was slithering this way and that. He was all f00ked up! :p

This is actually starting to sound like a "my johnson is bigger than yours" thread. Let's just save it for the after mod pics. Then we can ramble about who has what. Would be lovely to find a way to mount my 48" widescreen hd in there. :D

On a more constructive note, has anyone successfully installed a game console in their VX? I have a spare XBox I won through a work raffle and thought it might be kinda cool to install it when I get my LCD. Just curious if this is something that is trivial or if kits are made available for this. Things that make you go hmmm....

Panther_Black_VX
04/17/2003, 08:38 AM
Did some call me? I thought I heard "big johnson" ... :naughty: Hahaha!

So what's the final recommendation? What's the best route to spice up our dash. I am not sure I can spend the thousands possible. Like Randy, I do want to do it right, but at a good cost.

I must say that I am seeing more and more threads going down this odd route. http://www.chetanekwe.com/Smiles/_argue.gif Let's open our arms to ALL new memebers to the board and embrace their new ideas.

But also

Let us not diss or forget some of the older memebers (Tone, Anita, Nav, Swordy, etc) who have been here and always available to all of us. Not just with mod suggestions or "what's cooler" but help when we have engine, warranty or dealer problems. I am sure everyone of us has been helped at one time of another by one of those I mentioned or others. I know I have.

Ok who wants some beer!?! http://www.chetanekwe.com/Smiles/033102beer_1_prv.gif

AnalogVX
04/17/2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Panther_Black_VX
Ok who wants some beer!?! http://www.chetanekwe.com/Smiles/033102beer_1_prv.gif

I'll have one...Here's to all VX owners...May your next mod be your best!

Anita
04/17/2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Panther_Black_VX
Did some call me? I thought I heard "big johnson" ... :naughty: Hahaha!

Let us not diss or forget some of the older memebers (Tone, Anita, Nav, Swordy, etc) who have been here and always available to all of us. Ok who wants some beer!?! http://www.chetanekwe.com/Smiles/033102beer_1_prv.gif

OMG Chet!!! ;eeko; What's this about a Johnson?

... and WHO are you calling older? ;Db;

Ill have a beer as well.. or perhaps the older members can buy me a few in Moab. :yesr:

Moncha
04/17/2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Anita
OMG Chet!!! ;eeko; What's this about a Johnson?

... and WHO are you calling older? ;Db;

Ill have a beer as well.. or perhaps the older members can buy me a few in Moab. :yesr:

How's about the NEWER members buying us OLDER members beers in Moab? ;)

Green Dragon
04/17/2003, 11:52 AM
Nobody older than me- But I will pass on the beer as it tends to make me just a tad more agressive on the Trail.

james1_10018
04/17/2003, 12:00 PM
Ok bout the beer guys, lets get on with VX fun, so who can do the mod cheaply. scratch that, inexpensively.:p

Panther_Black_VX
04/17/2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by james1_10018
Ok bout the beer guys, lets get on with VX fun, so who can do the mod cheaply. scratch that, inexpensively.:p

That right! Inexpensive beer for EVERYONE!! :jump:

Except Dragon... You gotta do something about that aggresive thing :flame2:. You're missing out on some good beer... hehe

The guy with the big Johnson is buying!! But you'll have to wait till I get my paycheck... :naughty:

Ok, ok, no more Johnson jokes.... http://www.chetanekwe.com/Smiles/angel.gif

Glad we are all friends again... http://www.chetanekwe.com/Smiles/givingflower.gif

MOAB, MOAB, MOAB!!!! http://www.chetanekwe.com/Smiles/Cars__4_wheel_drive_prv.gif

Bantan
04/17/2003, 12:57 PM
Hey chey, where do you get all the cool smilies?

paultvx
04/17/2003, 04:22 PM
How about we get back on topic for the sake of the archives?

WyrreJ
04/17/2003, 09:23 PM
So, if someone were to pony up $5K for a custom dash, how much of that would be design/set-up and how much actual construction? If 10 people were buying the sme dash, how much would that reduce the average selling price?

IsuZOOM
04/17/2003, 09:57 PM
Now this is from second hand knowledge. YMMV. Not valid with any other offer.

I imagine that once a working mold is created, fiberglass dashes can be produced rather cost effectively. If someone does the work and creates a nice working design, it can be fabricated over and over without the initial production labors (and costs). If coachreed (Randy) 's dash design goes over well, (and his idea of relocating the HVAC vents isn't that difficult) well HECK - we ALL might want his dash! I know I will (depending on cost of course ;)) I consider the dash design to be the weakest link in the car, i.e. the thing I'd like to see updated.

Tone
04/18/2003, 07:19 AM
I guess what is most frustrating about the responses to this is that it appears those with the ‘solutions’ have not bothered to look at what it would take to move the HVAC controls or even the vents - it is just short of a monumental task not to mention the items that are behind there. All it takes is a peak behind the radio and you’ll see the main air distribution plenum, vacuum and mechanical linkages, and lots of main, expensive wiring harnesses.

I agree a screen imbedded on top would be extremely nice but I’m a realist and since no one here has ever done this kind of MAJOR modiification, it becomes the stuff of dreams and what ifs - pie in the sky. Instead of talking about it, start the project yourself and report back the progress - talk is cheap. Make it happen. Take some action.

WormGod
04/18/2003, 07:28 AM
Actually Tone, I already thought about re-routing of the HVAC system. Total mess and with the lack of room in the dash assembly, and makes working IN and AROUND just chaos. I remember working on my stereo and it was a small disaster JUST trying to route wiring. I had the ENTIRE dash assembly out and my garage looked like a dragon's colon, all full of crap. *sigh*

Dont get me wrong, ANYTHING can be done, with time, effort, and sure, a little money. As for getting a flip up or just indash mounted LCD in the dash.... whew, like Tone said.... pop some of your dash out one day and take a peek first. Working in there is like eating cat ****e with a knitting needle.

So, I take Tone's side on this one. It would be a great looking job.... but I wouldnt wanna do it, heh. Then again, money talks, and someone out there will always be willing to do it.... if the price is right.

dr4g0n
11/15/2003, 01:45 AM
Alpine has a cherry 7" widescreen LCD for about $350
What? where? I can only find alpine for $800+

not anything 7" for $350, also on a side note...
If i replace my stock stero with an alpine or panasonic will it be able to control the isuzu cd changer??

WyrreJ
11/15/2003, 09:51 AM
The answer for 95% of the possible replacements is NO. But, that is a good thing. The stock changer has one of the highest rates of failure of any component in the VX. Get a new changer (or mp3 hard drive) and enjoy not having to worry about the changer eating your discs (seriously, people have had to send their changers back to the factory to get their discs out and in many cases the discs have been badly scratched in the process).