PDA

View Full Version : I test drove a VX today

jdm monkey
04/27/2006, 06:23 PM
I found a VX in our area. It was a 1999 with 80K mi. silver with red leather interior and I love the recaro seat. The interior has a lot more space than I expected from a compact SUV and rear leg room was very good. I drove the car for a few miles. The ride was firm but the steering wheel felt detached. It doesnt respond too well. I stepped on the gas and nothing happens where did the 200+ hp and 200+torque? all I got is noise. There might be an exhaust leak somewhere. I found the "power" button on the console and tried it out to see if it gives what it says but still nothing happens. Is this normal for a vehicross?

mbeach
04/27/2006, 06:39 PM
It could be a lot of things (lack of power).

Try another VX (or even a 3.5L Trooper) out -that way you have something to compare to.

Keep in mind, the VX weighs nearly 3900 pounds -200+hp might make it 'peppy' but not powerful...

jdm monkey
04/27/2006, 06:55 PM
is it normally noisy inside (engine noise)?

mbeach
04/27/2006, 08:45 PM
Again, it's tough to say. I've had a string of noisy cars, the VX is the quietest of the bunch.

With the stock exhaust, the VX is pretty quiet for a truck though.

Hotsauce
04/28/2006, 03:18 AM
Make sure that the check engine light comes on with ignition(KOEO), but goes off with engine on.

Intake gasket and egr gasket failure are common on older VX, and an unscrupulous seller might pull the check engine bulb.

Either of these will cause loud engine and no power.

John C.

VehiGAZ
04/28/2006, 05:34 AM
The steering can be tightened up in about 5 minutes, although my dealer said there was no adjustment. The instructions for the adjustment are on the board here (search "tighten steering"), as well as on the sister Isuzu site.

Not sure what to tell you about the engine - it should definitely have some get-up-and-go, but it's no rocket (unless it's supercharged).

jdm monkey
04/28/2006, 05:48 AM
I wasn't expecting much for power but I also have a 2002 Mazda MPV (V6) minivan and it pulls much harder than the VX I test drove so something is definitely wrong. I never really paid attention if the check engine was on before I started it but I'll definitely look into it. I found another one in my area and I"ll test drive it soon. For a VX in a condition like this they were asking for $13,500 but I think its worth $8,000 OTD. Is my price reasonable?

VehiGAZ
04/28/2006, 06:07 AM
Stick to the prices in Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book (no matter what the salesman says) and you will not get screwed. If it's fair, they will sell it to you. If they are in it for too much money and won't sell it to you for what's fair, then forget them - don't make their problem your problem.

Hey, if VX69 sells me his Foxfire, I'll sell you mine - and I have a transferable extend-o-warranty on it!

E-ZooZoo One
04/28/2006, 11:56 AM
My advice would be to go look at that other one...
(I assume you're talking about the one at A&G Auto, on Virginia Beach Blvd., located between Witchduck and Newtown Rd.) ...and see if it performs more in-line with your expectations.

Granted, it has more miles on it - but then again, they’re only asking $9999 - and they may be willing to negotiate.

I’ll probably be visiting VB sometime this spring/summer… If your search for a VX doesn’t pan-out before then, while I'm there, I’d be glad to offer you a demonstration of how one of these things is supposed to scoot ;)

SPAZZ
04/28/2006, 12:20 PM
might not be running on all cylinders

jdm monkey
05/04/2006, 08:13 PM
My advice would be to go look at that other one...
(I assume you're talking about the one at A&G Auto, on Virginia Beach Blvd., located between Witchduck and Newtown Rd.) ...and see if it performs more in-line with your expectations.

Granted, it has more miles on it - but then again, they’re only asking $9999 - and they may be willing to negotiate.

I’ll probably be visiting VB sometime this spring/summer… If your search for a VX doesn’t pan-out before then, while I'm there, I’d be glad to offer you a demonstration of how one of these things is supposed to scoot ;)
I checked out the car last sunday at A&G but they were closed so I wasnt able to test drive it. I looks cleaner than the one in Hall but the interior is worn. It also looks like it has been sitting there for a very long time. Its parked way out in the back behind other cars.
I saw a dark grey VX the other day along salem rd. would that be you? I dont see any vx very often on the road here in VB

XCross69
05/05/2006, 05:34 AM
Hey JDM, why you still looking when in my thread you said you would take mine??

JULIAN911
05/05/2006, 07:59 AM
A stock VX (with OEM muffler) should be relatively quiet. But if it's got an aftermarket muffler, then does get noisy inside the cabin.

I like the recommedation of test driving another VX to get a baseline for your piece of mind. Good luck!

E-ZooZoo One
05/05/2006, 08:27 AM
I saw a dark grey VX the other day along salem rd. would that be you?
Nope - not me.

I'm about 400 miles west of you, in southern West Virginia.
(I'm a former resident of VB, with some family still living there.)

Maugan_VX
05/05/2006, 12:21 PM
I drive through VB often, but mine's black.