PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust camber?

marcosv6
04/22/2006, 12:49 PM
Is there an easy adjustment or does it have to be shimmed? Am I correct in saying that the camber should be 0 degrees? Thanks!

Don

mbeach
04/22/2006, 09:45 PM
The VX uses shims, behind a fulcrum pin on the upper control arm. The manual lists the correct camber as 0 Degrees +/-30'

Hope this helps!

marcosv6
04/22/2006, 10:01 PM
If I remember physics class corrrectly, adjusting the torque arms will change the camber. Correct? Lifting the front by adjusting the torque arms would make the camber more positive and vice-versa?? Thanks again.

Don

mbeach
04/23/2006, 12:50 PM
Correct. Given the fixed (non-adjustable) length of the control arms, any "lift" via torsion bar will cause the wheels to go positive. If the arms were equal length (they aren't), there would be a track width change, but no camber change. In our case, we get both a narrower track and positive camber.

It would be nice if someone could give us an idea of how much positive camber is introduced per inch of suspension lift. I figure that if you run -2 degrees of camber, then lift your truck, you will be close to 0 degrees after an inch or so of lift. Either way, tire wear aside, I'd rather have a little negative camber up front.

Hotsauce
04/23/2006, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't use ride height to adjust camber. Shim the upper arm.

BTW, adjusting camber changes toe. Be sure you know what you're doing if you adjust alignment on your own, or you can end up with an unsafe condition.

John C.

marcosv6
04/23/2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks. I'm trying to get back to the original setting in the front. The previous owner obviously raised the front with the torsion bar adjustment. The camber appears to be about 2 degrees positive which is causing wear on the outside of the tire (along with the improper toe-in). What is the correct height for the front?? I suppose I could adjust the torsion bars to have a 0 degree camber and then have the toe-in set for starters. Any other suggestions?

Don

jgalt
04/25/2006, 09:12 PM
I don't want to be demeaning and I'm all for DIY, but I'd like to point out that a good alignment at a reputable shop is only about $40 and some warranty them for life. My advice is to get the height of the vehicle where you want it (front to rear rake angle) and take it into an alignment shop so that they can adjust the toe and camber correctly.

My $0.02 - Best,