PDA

View Full Version : Trooper Skid Plates

Ldub
04/21/2006, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know if other years besides 93 skid plates will fit the VX ?
I've got a line on some off a 92, but don't want to crawl around in the mud at the wrecking yard if they're not gonna fit. :confused:
Thanks for any advice,

Ldub

Triathlete
04/21/2006, 12:39 PM
Here are a few post you can get info from
Skid1 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=438)
Skid2 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1704&highlight=trooper+skid+plates)
Skid3 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=391&highlight=skid+plate) Skid4 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4350&highlight=trooper+skid+plates)

Ldub
04/21/2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks Billy, I should have indicated that I've already done a search & have the part numbers...just don't know from what year(s) besides 93 will work.

Ldub

WyldWeasel
04/21/2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for asking this question Ldub, I need to get skid plates for my VX before moab, too. :)

Joe_Black
04/22/2006, 03:21 AM
Is there any interest in custom aluminum skid plates? My new toy came in Tuesday and I'm itching to fab stuff! :) Spoolguns rock!

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/images/products_shots/Millermatic251Pkg.jpg

Hotsauce
04/22/2006, 03:38 AM
I'm interested. A plate that protected the oil pan, but has a cutout for oil filter access, and oil drain would be great.

John C.

luz
04/22/2006, 12:34 PM
I second Hotsauce on this. But I'd need them delivered before I headed off to Moab. Or brought to Moab if you're going.

Joe_Black
04/22/2006, 05:24 PM
I'm changing the oil on both VX's this weekend so will have an extended "inspiration session" while underneath. Fortunately, skid plates are easy and patterns can be quickly made up from cardboard. Plus they lend themselves to simple jig construction for repeat builds and can be either steel or aluminum. My new welder can run dual bottles, so switching between steel and aluminum is as simple as setting one gun down and picking up the other. I could do stainless too, but aren't planning on setting up for that just yet. Cutting the plates is super easy as I've already got a Miller 3080 plasma cutter.

I'll post some pics of the patterns this week when I can put one on a lift for a better perspective.

Wish we were going to Moab, but still haven't gotten a trailer for my semi yet. When I do then maybe I'll offer hauls from the Southeast! :)

mbeach
04/22/2006, 09:48 PM
Your setup rocks Joe -I long for the day that I have a nice MIG/TIG setup (esp. the Miller) in my shop.
I'd be one of those guys that makes up excuses to fab stuff.

I cast my vote for a rear differential guard.

Joe_Black
04/23/2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks! The plasma cutter was a big purchase for us a few years ago and the MIG was the next goal. Had hoped to get it last year but just didn't work out. Actually went to get the 210, but the Miller guys put that 30A spoolgun in my hands and it was all over after that. LOL!

TIG is something I haven't tried yet, but a buddy is going to give me a quick lesson next weekend. The nice thing about TIG is that I can just add a piggy-back unit to my big Lincoln stick unit, so it's not terribly expensive.

I'll throw a diff-guard pattern together too and see how it works. Great suggestion!

Ldub
04/24/2006, 04:18 AM
OK, so here's the deal...I got a trans. case skidder off a 91 troop in the local salvg. yard. Initially it looked like it would bolt right up...wrong.
Found out later that the holes in the crossmember that lined up weren't threaded :mad: ...
So, with a bit of contour relief cutting on the existing "skid plate" (if you could call it that) & a little welding...I answered my question. Yes a 91 plate will fit, but not easily.
Also found that my welding skills have "left the building" since the last time I welded anything (about 8th or 9th grade), It's ugly, but at least I've got SOME protection from the scenery around Moab. ;)

Ldub

Maugan_VX
04/24/2006, 08:06 AM
Joe put me on the list of people that would purchase a set of skids from you if priced reasonably :)

wekilled
04/24/2006, 04:16 PM
I would also be interested in fabbed plates. Just for grins is it possible to make them out of thick diamond or double diamond plate for that industrial look?

Joe_Black
04/24/2006, 04:49 PM
My plasma cutter can handle material up to 1 1/2" thick, so whatever you're willing to pay for can be used once the patterns are done. :)

VR4-Quest
04/25/2006, 10:23 AM
Follw this link, http://www.baertrax.com/ then go to Products / Custom Work

Joe_Black
04/25/2006, 01:21 PM
Where's the skid plate?

http://www.baertrax.com/pics/isuzu4.jpg

All I see is a stock Trooper piece and some aftermarket tie-rod guards.

Triathlete
04/25/2006, 10:40 PM
looks like there is a narrow black skid that starts in front of the axle right next to the pumpkin.

Moncha
04/26/2006, 07:46 AM
That's Jays new skid plate, I call it a jock strap :).. I have some pics he took for me.. I'll have to find them..... ooooo wait I did!

I'd love to get this one made it worked great!!

Tone
04/26/2006, 09:24 AM
I have 2 custom built steel skid plates that mount using existing holes underneath - also has cutouts for oil drain and filter. You can still use the Trooper TOD plate.

One protects the front cladding to the tranny and the other all the way back to behind the transfer case. I'd be willing to transport these to Moab if anyone is interested but I'd need payment up front as they are a pain to transport (I did it once for WSG)

Shorty plate - $225
Full plate - $295

EMAIL me for pics or if you have any questions.

VX crazy
04/26/2006, 09:54 AM
Hope your not selling MY skid plate.....

Joe_Black
04/27/2006, 07:00 AM
I lined up a visit to a friend's shop tomorrow to use one of his lifts so I can get good chassis photos. I'll post links to pics of the Iron Man's chassis Sunday evening after I get back from a trip, so y'all can get some ideas. From that I'll make up some patterns and see how they fit. Once we get some workable patterns then I can fab jigs and make as many as wanted. Pricing will be fair based on current material pricing and production consumables. Material will be a choice of either 6061-T651 aluminum or A36 hot rolled steel. Treadplate/Diamondplate can be done too, but I prefer to buy my materials in full sheets/lengths which means I won't build these until enough are ordered to use a full sheet.

mbeach
04/27/2006, 08:52 AM
I have a UHMW (Teflon plastic, .625 thick) skidplate on my VX. It makes a belly pan that starts behind the license plate and ends at the crossmember just in front of the transmission pan. I could've made it longer, I just didn't have the material.
It's white, it tolerates engine heat, and it didn't crack on a stump at 52 below zero. It's very 'slick' as well, so it should slide over rocks easily. I bolted it in to prevent snowpack in the engine compartment during my cross-country excursions this winter.

Something like this would be great to augment your skidplates. Slick, replaceable, and it would provide a cushion from sharp edges.

Joe_Black
04/27/2006, 10:36 AM
I've seen materials like that used similarly, and it's a great idea. My issue is that stuff is typically machined and that's beyond my current capacity. Although the mounting holes could easily be incorporated for those who can either make their own or get raw stock machined locally.

Ldub
04/28/2006, 09:05 AM
Just got back from the salvage yard where I found a 93 Trooper...The good news ?, the engine & tranny had already been pulled & the 3 skid plates were already pulled off & sitting inside the vehicle waiting for me :thumbup: :_wrench: ...the other good news, I offered the guy $20.00 for all three & he took it ! :clap:

The only bad news ?, I couldn't find any of the bolts (oh, boo-hoo) :waab:

Now it's time to git to the hardware store & get these bad boyz mounted. :smack:

Triathlete
04/28/2006, 10:15 AM
Pull the two bolts for the "factory skid" and take them to your local hardware store and they should be able to hook you up. They are all the same size.