PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Camera Monitor

XCross69
04/16/2003, 06:05 AM
Ok, I'm not the smartest when it comes to this stuff so I need some help....If I get this camera thats being offered here (if still available) what do I need to make sure the monitor has to make sure this camera will hook up to it??? Anything special or will this camera hook up to any monitor?? I have found some reasonable flip downs on ebay that I am interseted in, flip down for me I think would be the easiest and probably the cheapest for me... HELP, I would love to get this installed!!!!!!!!

VX crazy
04/16/2003, 06:44 AM
Not sure if you have a Fry's electronic store there, but they have specials on 5" TV that plugs into the cigarette lighter, has an input for additional video source, only $188, cheap option for the camera!

Lori
04/23/2003, 11:52 AM
I have located several small tft monitors for under $150.
I already have a camera that has reverse image capability.

(I am interested in a 2 - 5 inch monitor, one that I would
mount in [front of] fuzzy hole or just using cig lighter adapter)

Below are the results of an hour of web searching.

My question: If you were buying one today, which one would
you purchase?

Thanks in advance for your help. -Lori

1. Cheapest $66 4 inch
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PCM-4

2. Citizen monitor 2.9" and 3.8"
(interesting, take a look, would this work? )

http://www.lgdsuperstore.com/m329mkii.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/kb-electronics/m-938.html

3. Lilliput 2" - fits perfectly in fuzzy hole
http://www.made-in-china.com/user/?for=prod&prod_id=jY3NzAN

4. Lanzar 5.6" $136
http://www.nowonsale.com/ppf/itemname/5.6%22+LCD+TFT+Mobile+Video+Screen/item/SV5.6M/itempage.asp

5. Microvision 5"
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/electronics-pluz/mic5tftlcdmo.html

6. Second cheapest $109

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=12676407&St=6791&St2=-61152742&St3=45299514&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=121290&DID=7:confused:

chumone
04/23/2003, 11:26 PM
That Lilliput looks perfect. Will it really fit in the fuzzy hole? Will it work with any NTSC input? Can I order it from that website?

dyanni
04/24/2003, 04:05 AM
I have the lilliput 2" - and have fitted it ( temporarily ) to the fuzzy hole spot. It does physically fit inside the hole, and looks really good there. With the addition of a home-made bezel ( I had thought about dremmel-ing the back of the fuzzy hole insert off starting about an inch from the font and them affixing the monitor there. Then I put it in my glove box to work on another day. It does look good, bright enough, and enough detail for answering the primary backup question .. "Is someone standing or parked behind me" I hooked it up to my Tivo and ended up watching an entire episode of a comedy show, so the compact size must not be too bad for detail.

Although I like it, and it is going to be pretty much plug-n-play with the fuzzy hole - and any composite video source you give it ... I am thinking more along the lines of a 3" lcd screen -minus the case so the video completely fills the fuzzy opening. I have some pics of the Lilliput in fuzzy hole heaven and will post Friday.

chumone
04/27/2003, 02:03 AM
Check out this little 2.5" monitor. Just $70.

http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=8130

Will it work?

orionblues
04/27/2003, 04:35 AM
Anyone ever look at sharper image? There is a wireless baby monitor camera, that comes with a 2.5 inch monitor, both run off batteries, for $299 total. I would think the camera would be easy to install in the inside of the VX. I just purchased my VX, so I don't have the spare change to pick this up yet.

Lori
04/27/2003, 05:13 AM
Thanks orion for the info about the tiny monitor. that is a good
price on what looks to be a high quality product. Here is
a question: In auto use, a brightness and/or tint button
is often useful, for obvious reasons. Do you think this monitor has such a feature?

I bought $170 camera with "power buy" group. One of the
nice features of this camera is that it reverses the image
so you don't have to make monitor do that. I'm waiting
on installation b/c I am trying to decide on monitor, here
are the two options I'm considering:

1. tiny monitor like aforementioned one, neatly fitted to
fit in fuzzy hole. Power/wiring/on off button so that
no hanging wires are visible. this $80 model is what
I would buy.

2. larger 5" screen with TV TUNER. This would force
me to move the monitor to the cig lighter area.
the tv tuner feature appeals to me--I can just see myself
explaining to the cop why I was driving erratically "The
winner of Survivor Amazon was about to be announced..."
(no i don't watch that one)

This 2nd option forces me to have
some wires hanging around, as I would not permanently
install tv but instead just use cig lighter as power.
I've identified two tvs' GPX brand and Frye's , both
about $180.

I have perception that backup camera image would be useful
for general driving, to help with the blind spots caused by
pillar. I'm getting vibes that this is incorrect, the range is just
not wide enough.

In the meantime I'm having fun around the house and
my porch with a small portable 2" tv and my new camera.
I'm noticing a glare caused by the numerous LCD lights and am wondering if this will be a problem.

I hope that anyone who has any ideas on my issues/questions
will respond. I'm always open for suggestions. Unlike some
people, I don't look at every mod installation as a contest!
(It's is harmless joke people--please don't get offended.)

Lori

IsuZOOM
04/29/2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by dyanni
I have some pics of the Lilliput in fuzzy hole heaven and will post Friday. I'd be interested in seeing this - I'm still on the fence as to what LCD monitor I'm buying!

WormGod
05/05/2003, 07:27 AM
Well, this weekend I broke down and did the install. Mounted a 5" Clarion LCD on the center console, just in front af the 4WD knob. Fit like a glove and no bumping at all. Wired the camera from the crescent to the monitor and secured all wiring.

Now, a few things I did NOT like. The group buy camera was quite a hassle. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt. I rechecked ALL wiring, connections, and secured all metal entries with rubber grommets. Still, same thing. When it did work, I had no use for it. The night vision did little to nothing and rendered the camera useless. It looked great with daylight though, like I say, when it worked. I am unsure what the situation is. Nevertheless, like many mods, it was taken out after installation, heh. On a whim, I whipped out the XBox and everyone's favorite game Morrowind *insert company advertisement HERE*. Hooked it up to the monitor and found myself playing with the XBox for about an hour. So, I think I have a new master plan. Find a mounting location for the XBox and wire her up to the VX and LCD. ANyone seen any wiring harness kits or any related game system to automobile kits around?

As for the camera, I am gonna just use it to monitor my inground pool. I have another monitor in the kitchen and will just wire it up to that. At least it has a good alternate use. :)

XCross69
05/05/2003, 08:18 AM
Not what I wanted to here about the camera...I have yet to get the chance to mess with mine.. I will keep my fingers crossed!!

IsuZOOM
05/05/2003, 08:29 AM
Hmm, that doesn't sound good. I test wired mine up to a small TV and it worked fine for me. I found the night vision to be adequate for a few feet. Did you use the cig lighter for wiring or did you snip that off and wire it yourself?

WormGod
05/05/2003, 09:45 AM
Randy, I had tried both. First, I used the cig attachment, and then when I had the power, I spliced it and hardwired it. I got the same results both ways though. My buddy Josh helped me out, who installs stereo and home security systems, so there was little that could go wrong. He seemed to think there was something wrong with the camera, which there could be, but who knows. It didnt seem that the camera was holding a power current at all times. Perhaps there is a short in it. I can only speculate. If yours works great, go with it. It may just be that I got a defected one. Like I said, it works "sometimes", but not well enough to make full use of. I may try again this summer when I have more time. I will try to get my hands on another camera and see how that goes.

Since you did test yours out, tell me, when your camera was actually getting juice, what visuals did the actual camera show? The flickered image on the screen was the only way I knew I had a connection. I sure wish there was some sort of indicator on the actual camera to know if it was holding a current.

-x-
05/05/2003, 10:09 AM
in regards to that xbox im not sure if you still have the stock radio or an aftermarket setup but if so you maybe might be able squeaze it in the factory radio area. I got pix of my ps2 in that area in my gallery. I know the box is substantially bigger than a ps2 but people said i couldnt get my ps2 in that spot and i did. so i wont say you cant get your box in there either ;Dy; all in all good luck......x

Lori
05/05/2003, 10:38 AM
I have a "group buy" camera too. Before I install, I was anxiously awaiting to hear WormGod's impressions. (My concern is related to the fact that the camera circumference is nearly 25% larger than the factory opening in the crescent; I'm not crazy about cutting the crescent.)

Currently I have fashioned a temporary mount for my camera inside the rear window, hooked it up to a small Citizen 2" tv that I already have, and the picture was fine. No flickering of any sort and a pretty good picture. (Night vision was sorta bad b/c of glare, possibly caused by the window, or perhaps the too-numerous red lights on the camera. )

Could it be that the camera needs full exposure to deliver a clear image? Blocking part of the circular lens might be the cause of the flicker on/off image?? Just wondering.

Tone
05/05/2003, 10:46 AM
-X- Can you post the finished pics of your PS2 in the factory radio location? good job making it fit!

IsuZOOM
05/05/2003, 11:09 AM
I didn't have any flicker, plugged it in and got a clear picture.

WormGod
05/05/2003, 02:50 PM
Well, I took the cam out and even had it sitting in the open and still got the same response. Even still with no movement. I believe it to be a reject camera. I am not complaining though, since like Lori said, I started getting skeptical about cutting the crescent. Wouldnt take much cutting, but it would take some for full exposure. Who knows, it may serve some purpose yet.

As for the XBox, heh, aint NO WAY that huge beast is fitting indash. I am not sure WHERE I would mount it. Maybe some sort of alteration to the existing glove compartment. That's extremely low priority though, so I am not ready to jump through flaming hoops for that.

-x-
05/05/2003, 03:35 PM
....i should have the fiberglass work done to the dash cover thing in about 2 weeks or so. As soon as its done i will most definately post tha pix....x

Navigator
05/05/2003, 05:29 PM
I am sure the camera must have a warranty. I wouldn't give up just yet :)

IsuZOOM
05/05/2003, 05:56 PM
Well, cutting the wires and stuff probably voids the warranty. I'll be happy to ask and let you know!

WormGod
05/05/2003, 09:51 PM
Ya, wires have already been cut on the cig adapter. No need to worry though. I am not all that pressed. I already have plans for it if I dont figure something out. I am just a little more amped to get the XBox working in there now, heh.

DigitalFrog
05/25/2003, 07:45 AM

Chief Warthog
05/26/2003, 12:38 PM
I have a small camera, 1/2" that works in night/day. It uses 12V DC power, and so my question is: What can I plug it up too in the back for power?
Is there any cirtuit in the rear area or left back area that I can hook into without too much effort?

Rickster
09/06/2003, 07:17 AM
Check this out for the fuzzy hole

http://www.spybag.com/cgi-bin/spybag1/SB3002.html

http://www.spybag.com/images/auction/tv/sony_mini_screen1.jpg

It's on EBay now "CHEAP"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045429764&category=21517

Rickster

Seidmanrob
09/06/2003, 07:44 PM
I also would love to have a good backup screen, but please explain to me what the fuzzy hole is, and where would the camera be placed. Thank you in advance.

hitnrun74
09/06/2003, 09:34 PM
I think a good power supply in the rear, for a back-up camera would be to tap the reverse light feed. Power would pop on when you put the vx in reverse, and turn off when you put it in gear or park. I don't think those cameras have much draw at all. Could be a fairly simple solution...

SGT.BATGUANO
09/06/2003, 11:45 PM
It's at the far left side of the dash. You should find pics with a "search". If you're a guy, you should be able to find it by instinct, just FEEL around. :D