PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if this is a good deal or not...

HnB
04/17/2006, 07:52 PM
First of all, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I'm new here, forgive me.

I'm interested in purchasing a VX and I've found one local. It is a black '99 Ironman edition in excellent condition. It has 64,3xx miles, new battery, practically new tires, and overall excellent condition. The engine compartment looked great, I couldn't find any tears in the interior, I didn't see any paint chips or scratches, and I couldn't find any rust on the frame. It seems like it is in fantastic shape.

It does not have the manual nor maintenance history. The gentleman said he bought it from a dealer who said it had one previous owner (and we all know all cars on dealer lots only had one previous owner).

The gentleman was asking $10,000. Edmunds.com tells me it's work $8200 and blue book value is $8500. He said he would take $9000.

So my question is, is this a good deal for this vehicle? Or is it a fair deal, or too expensive?

Also, an unrelated question: Is there more headroom in the 2000 or 2001 models? I'm 6' tall and while I had enough headroom, there wasn't a lot to spare. I'm wondering if a later model year might have slightly more headroom.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ruflyf
04/17/2006, 08:06 PM
HnB,

As for the "1 owner" that is easily confirmed by getting a carfax done, which by the way, I would not even begin to buy a car without carfaxing it!! This will also let you know somewhat if the seller is being straightforeward. (a little anyway).

I truly believe a buyer knows what to listen to, look for, etc. for when buying a used car, if you have to ask, then by all means have a mechanic check it out. Not trying to sound rude by any means, but from the vagueness of your description its kinda hard to tell. Now....of course all vx's have the querks, power windows and a few others listed all over the forums.

Assuming nothing negative came back from the carfax and it runs good, it sounds like a good price. Is it all stock?, just curious.

As for the seat height issue, all 3 years are the same, however my drivers seat has been lowered.

Hope that helps a bit

mbeach
04/17/2006, 08:09 PM
1. All Ironman editions were painted Victory White. Get the VIN and we can check it's authenticity. Either it's a repainted I-man (there's at least 2) or it's an Ebony with an I-man's interior (and badging maybe?). Either way, the Ironman edition doesn't command a premium price over an ordinary VX -they are all equally rare.

2. Cars are worth what others are willing to pay for them. If you feel comfortable with $9k, then buy the truck. I would consider it at that price, but I prefer the later models, as they came with 18" wheels and (most importantly) automatic climate control. Engines are (supposedly) unchanged.

3. Many of us are in the 6' or taller range. I am 6'2" and have better than 4 inches of headroom. Play with your seat adjustments. All VXs have the same interior dimensions.

nocturnalVX
04/17/2006, 10:42 PM
Greetings and welcome to the lair of the VehiCROSS fanatics!
:_group2:
I would have to agree with what's been said... an Ironman should be white; except for the 18" wheels & auto climate control (which I never use), all years of the VX are identical; get a CARFAX report & have a trusted mechanic check it out. The VehiCROSS looks great :yes: , drives great :_steering: , and you want an extremely rare awesome ride... :thumbup: .

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?
:luck:

HnB
04/18/2006, 06:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I ran the CARFAX report, and this is what it tells me:

This SUV has had 4 owners and was owned in Maryland and Pennsylvania. It was originally registered as a corporate lease vehicle. The leasing company actually owned this vehicle and collected payments from a company, like a bank or firm, until the vehicle was sold or the lease expired. These vehicles are typically used for business purposes.

It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.

It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.

It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.

It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 9,855 miles per year, which is lower than the industry average of 15,000. The last odometer reading, reported on 03/01/2006, was 64,106 miles.

It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback or LEMON.

It has no recalls that still require repair.

The fact that it may have been used for business makes me slightly leary, but nothing else strikes me as a potential problem.

This must not be an Ironman, since it's not white and the CARFAX report doesn't say anything about Ironman. I'm not sure what the difference is anyway.

Ruflyf, as far as I can tell, everything is stock. I'm no expert on VXs, but nothing struck me as being modified.

I'll have to think about this some more. Though the business use may mean nothing, it's enough to give me pause. People never treat cars they don't own well.

Thanks for all the replies!

transio
04/18/2006, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't be concerned about the business usage. Seems from the verbage that it was a company car driven by an exec.

Tobert
04/18/2006, 07:57 AM
Perhaps they're saying it's Ironman because of the black/red interior, like my Ebony has?

Ruflyf
04/18/2006, 11:21 AM
I agree with Transio, about the corporate ownership, you can tell from the carfax who put the most mileage on the vehicle. Also are there any fluids (ANY AT ALL) leaking? Oil pan dry, etc.? Also look at the windshield closely, any cracks? I havent priced them but i would imagine they are quite expensive due to the low run numbers.

The carfax in general sounds pretty good, and its definately a good price. Look closely in the door jambs, engine compartment for touch-up overspray.

I wouldnt be too worried about the maintenance record, they are very nice to have, very calming to the nerves, BUT the reality is most people dont keep them. I happened to get lucky buying mine, it was from the owner of Planetisuzu.com, he kept records of EVERYTHING, mileage, oil, gas fill ups, even where it was driven to and the miles to get there. While all of this is comforting, I unfortunately have not kept up the records, does that make me not as good of a vx owner, not really, I just dont ever plan to sell it, so why record what I know I do to it, plus I cant seem to find the time. (that make any sense?)

I can tell you I absolutely love mine and the responses it gets from people.

STEP 1 after you buy it, change everything to synthetic
STEP 2 enjoy :)

mistermg
04/18/2006, 11:44 AM
Greetings! I agree with above and would like to add my 2 cents. I have owned my 2 VXs less than 90 days and know a little about cars and Isuzu........
Seems all 99s had red/black interior
Many have mixed opinion about the climate controll....99s simple system-good! less cost to fix_ good-
99s had 16 inch wheels and are less costly to replace tires. 18s on the 2000 and 2001 look cool!
Ironman was a dress up option with decals, floor mats and logo in front seats. Also came with crossbars for roof rack. All were white.

Drive this VX from cold(feel engine) for at least 30 miles and 1/2 hour. Try everything. See if you can deal with no rear window vision, kinda like a van with curtains! See how it shifts when warm and coming to a light. Any clunks or sloppy shifts? Does it run rough cold? does it sound good. Feel good. It should have lots of power and few rattles and noises. Smell it for foul oders under the seats...mice-dogs-kids ect. Make sure jack and handle(2 pc) are in it. Do you have a Isuzu dealer or real mechanic you trust. Ask them if they will work on it? Check windows. still looking for one without window trouble.....
If it passes the road test and all above seems right, and u still like it, I say BUY! remember insurance may be more than what you are used to. Sounds like a good price if all is really excellent as suggested ........Good luck.!! You can find alot of info here...just have to spend time looking!!