PDA

View Full Version : "High-pitched howling" noise while turning?

VehiGAZ
04/12/2006, 07:13 PM
Hey there everyone!

My VX recently began sporadically making a sort of high-pitched howling noise, apparently from the back end, while making turns to the right. It has only happend a few times so far, and it only make the noise for a second or less. For what it's worth, it has only done it when the car was driving for a while already (i.e., not when cold). It happens once, maybe twice, and that's it. Nothing else feels strange about the drive train.

The dealer is taking a shot at it, but hasn't figured it out yet. They put some LSD additive in and test drove it, but it made the sound again. My extend-o-warranty said they will cover the repair, but only if they can find a part that needs replacing. (They are already covering the replacement of some valve causing a bouncing idle, loose passenger seat tracks, and the driver-side window regulator [what VX window problem?!], all under one deductible!)

I searched the forums but found nothing that resembled this problem. Does it ring a bell with anyone here? Any good guesses? The service writer would appreciate any leads at all.

Thanks in advance!

ameetw
04/12/2006, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure if this would help, but the only time I heard something like you discribed was when I over filled the power steering fluid or when the power steering fluid was really dirty.

Apostle
04/13/2006, 03:28 AM
Cat stuck in the rear well?

VehiGAZ
04/13/2006, 04:24 AM
ameetw - I'll have them check the fluid, but I think the sound is coming from the back end. Two pedestrians who were right there when it happened also said they thought it was coming from the back.

Apostle - A cat to complement my bat? (see my gallery for solution to that riddle)

Apostle
04/13/2006, 05:28 AM
No need :)

been here for a couple years, seen most of everyones pics

E-ZooZoo One
04/13/2006, 06:00 AM
Not to hijack, but I was going to start an almost identical thread today…

Two times now, two days in a row - while turning left at low speed - I’ve experienced a moaning/groaning sound that seems to be coming from the front passenger-side.

The first time it happened, I was turning onto a street in my neighborhood, with the brakes lightly applied – and I simply assumed that it must be related to my upcoming/impending brake and rotor replacement… But yesterday it happened again as I was rounding a corner, approaching the drive-thru at my bank – without the brakes applied at all.

Both instances were left turns, at low speed, with a slight surface transition that corresponded with some mild suspension travel. --- After it happened the second time, I checked my 255/70/16 tire clearance with the cladding (Nope, that wasn’t it)… I also checked for any looseness in the hub and/or suspension components (Not as far as I can tell)… So, about the only thing that still comes to mind is that I have an OEM Shock on its way out, but I really don't know.

Could GAZ and I perhaps be experiencing the same problem, only at different ends of the vehicle?

VehiGAZ
04/13/2006, 12:41 PM
E-ZooZoo - I don't have OEM shocks - I'm riding Bilsteins, so that ain't it.

I was also thinking a wheel hub problem, but mine were repacked less than 6 months ago (not that it's impossible for the dealer to mess it up, of course).

They just told me that they are giving up trying to diagnose the problem because they can't get it to occur anymore. Well, I have to go back next week anyway to get my parts installed, so maybe I'll have more feedback for them.

Thanks!

WyldWeasel
04/13/2006, 12:50 PM
I just bought mine a week or so ago and found it was sporadically making a strange groaning/grinding noise when pulling a hard left out of a parked position. I was getting a bit nervous about it, as I'd been very conscientious about changing the fluids/putting new tires on it, etc. and I was worried I was looking at something catastrophic in the drivetrain (this is my first 4WD vehicle).

After a few days and the little piles of chewed asphalt which appeared where I was parking, I realized it was the new tires pulling the asphalt up. The morons who resurfaced the street a few months ago did a horrible horrible job and the surface of the street just can't handle the TOD kicking in.

raver_boi_88
04/13/2006, 01:37 PM
lmao I have the same problem in my neighborhood where they just re-surfaced the road...

Numba1goalie
04/13/2006, 06:17 PM
I started a thread like this a while ago cause I was getting the same noise from my front end. No one had any answers for me other then hubs, or needing to pack my wheel bearings. I have had the bearing repacks and inspected the hubs myself and everthing looks just fine.

VehiGAZ
04/17/2006, 08:15 AM
Well, despite the addition of the LSD additive, my driveline is still sporadically making the howling noise. The latest incident was on Saturday on a 180* off-ramp. Unless I hear anything definitive or even a really good lead here on the board, I'll probably just wait until it gets more frequent and give them another shot at it down the road (before my extend-o-warranty runs out, of course).

jgalt
04/26/2006, 05:21 PM
As a long-time Isuzu owner (short-time with the VX) I've had numerous "noise" issues over the past years, which are very difficult to diagnose due to the way sound travels through the vehicle (sounds like its coming from the left-front, but the problem is really in the right-rear) and the multitude of variable causes.

Some of the things I'd check (in no specific order - just as they occurred to me):

Is the driveshaft straight, lubed and balanced?
Are the u-joints on the driveshaft lubed or binding?
Is the power steering fluid topped-off, low or too full?
Is the power steering belt tension sufficient?
Are any other belts loose?
Could it be the bearing in the power steering unit or alternator (hard to diagnose until it fails)?
Are any shocks leaking fluid? Any loose shock mounts?
Are any axle boots torn or axles leaking fluid?
What about the bearings in your rear axle?
Are any ball joint boots cut? How 'bout loose ball-joint mounts?
What is the condition of the rubber bushings on your upper A-arm? Any slop?
Have you lost any shims behind the upper A-arm?
Are your tires balanced? Could you have thrown a weight?
Are the wheel bearings seizing? Is there sufficient grease and is the axle nut at sufficient torque?

Lots and lots of moving parts - any of which could cause some noise issues.

Best of luck!

VehiGAZ
04/26/2006, 05:55 PM
I just did some testing in our cul-de-sac, and now I think the problem is related to the TOD transfer case...

I rolled down the windows and went round-and-round to the right to get the noise to occur. When it did, I got the impression that it wasn't really coming from the back, nor was it coming from the front either. Hmm... right in the middle, then, and there's only one mechanism there that likely could be doing something like this.

I straightened her out, shifted into 4-low, and went up and down the street. It was kinda noisy, and even made a couple of screechy sounds. So I brought it back down to the cul-de-sac and went around it... WOW! What a racket!! It was making all manner of clicking and slipping and grinding noises - NOT the usual gear whine from the transfer case.

So I am going to tell the service writer to check the t-case when I bring it back for the rest of my fixes (still waiting on one part) and see if they can find something wrong with it.

Good luck to me...

E-ZooZoo One
04/27/2006, 06:35 AM
Good luck to me...
AMEN!

VehiGAZ
05/11/2006, 09:18 AM
They found the problem!

After much diagnostic exploration, they finally opened up the rear differential and found the culprit - the right-side differential side bearings were worn. They will either replace the whole drive assembly or rebuild the differential - it's the warranty company's call, though. I'm just waiting for their rep to inspect it and find out how long parts & such will take to get and install.

Glad this one is getting solved - it's gotten a little embarassing to have to explain to friends "yeah, they don't know what it is yet, but I hope to get it fixed in a couple of weeks" every time it happens.

jgalt
05/15/2006, 12:51 PM
What about the bearings in your rear axle?

the right-side differential side bearings were worn.

I love the mystery noise game!! Pretty soon I'll be starting one of these threads myself (*knocking on wood*).

Congrats on winning this lottery!!

VehiGAZ
05/16/2006, 08:18 AM
Yup, you called it, jgalt! It took them a while to eliminate all of the easier checks before they realized they were going to have to open up the diffy.

I am quite pleased - my warranty has paid for itself nicely. There did push back a little, though - originally, they were going to pay for the replacement of a valve that was causing the modulating idle, which cost about $190. But since the warranty inspector had to verify the differential repair, he also looked at a valve and decided it wasn't broken, but just clogged with carbon deposits, and so he decided not to cover it, since it's a "maintenance" issue, not a "repair" issue. Nice how he changed the company's mind on that one, huh? Well, considering my $2000 warranty is paying out about $2775 for everything else on this job, I decided to let the valve issue go. All told, I'm paying for the valve, a $100 deductible, an oil change, and the tax on all of it, which is going to cost me about $630. Any other claims I make on this extend-o-warranty are going to be ALL JELLY - up to seven deductibles included!

VehiGAZ
05/24/2006, 09:02 AM
Well, it's a week later and I'm STILL waiting for some diffferential parts to get to the dealer so they can put her back together. I want my VX back!!

While they have been cooler than the other side of the pillow in letting me hold onto their loaner while I wait, this is nuts!! They've had it for two full weeks now, and there is no word on when the parts might be showing up form Isuzu, either.

This situation has got me questioning the sense of relying on the VX as my one and only vehicle. If the poor availability of parts is getting worse, then I can probably expect more of these 2+ week repairs. It's fine and dandy when the dealership is willing to hook me up with a loaner, but not so fine when they can't or won't and I need to pay for a replacement ride out of my own pocket.

I think I need another vehicle...

Ruflyf
05/24/2006, 09:25 AM
Just tell them your going to go off raoding in the loaner that should make them hurry up a bit.

VehiGAZ
05/24/2006, 05:28 PM
In a 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara? They'd never believe me! :)

VehiGAZ
06/15/2006, 12:30 PM
So I got my fully-repaired VX back after a full FOUR WEEKS in the shop (!!!), and guess what... the howling noise is still there!!! Ugh!! :_brickwal

The differential actually feels noticeably tighter, believe it or not, but nevertheless, my service writer and I have no idea what to do next.

kpaske
06/15/2006, 12:58 PM
Well, it looks like I may be joining you on this hunt for the elusive VX moan... I too have been noticing an occassional groan when turning. It only happens once or twice each time I drive, but I want to track it down before it gets worse. I know from previous vehicles that a bad CV Joint will balk during tight turns, and when I had it aligned the other day the mechanic informed me that I have a torn CV boot, so that's the first thing I'm going to look at. I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.

VehiGAZ
06/16/2006, 06:54 AM
That sounds like what I'm dealing with kpaske. Mine is definitely comingn from the rear, though, so it's probably not the CVJs.

I'm considering bringing it to the other local dealer just to get a different set of eyes and ears on the job.

t2p
06/20/2006, 10:10 AM
Add me to the group. My VX is also making this noise.
Appeared/appeared to be a problem in the rear end - but my guess is the problem is with/in the transfer case.
Changed the rear diff fluid changed (additive added) - tires rotated (air pressure checked obviously) .... No difference.

kpaske
06/20/2006, 02:03 PM
Yup, confirmed that I have another driver's side CV boot tear. That'll be fun to fix... again...

As for the groaning, VehiGaz, mine seems to always occur while entering or exiting a turn, though it doesn't matter whether I'm turning left or right. I'm thinking it's coming from the rear suspension - it sounds like something creaks as the weight of the vehicle shifts in or out of the turn. Possibly a lack of lube somewhere.

VehiGAZ
06/21/2006, 06:25 AM
My sound is definitely a rotating-metal-on-metal sound, rather than a creak of the suspension.

Although since I got new shoes on Saturday (Goodyear Wranglers w/ "Silent Armor"), I have not heard the sound again. Hmm... although the new tires should have nothing to do with the sound, I have noticed that the sidewalls are noticeably stiffer on the new tires, enhancing cornering performance, particularlay on turn-in.

Why do I mention this? Because it is at least a possibility that the new tires are keeping the wheel aligned better, reducing the strain on the suspension and axle, thereby eliminating the cause of the noise. That theory sounds pretty thin, I guess, but it would explain things.

Of course, as soon as I post this, it's going to make the sound again. :-)

Crowml
06/22/2006, 07:36 AM
Add me to the list guys, I've been on that search for 2 years now. Same issues, same description. Sporadic slow speed turning. Loud huming/grinding noise which on bad days I can feel shaking the whole vehicle....

If someone finds a solution please email me!! crowml@aol.com

Crowml
06/22/2006, 07:41 AM
Intersting "Shortstop" says that changing the LSD fluid with synthetic and using an additive fixed his problem, someone else want to give this a whirl?

VehiGAZ
06/22/2006, 07:57 AM
The first thing my dealer did was put in the LSD additive, but it didn't work. And then they rebuilt the differential, but that didn't work either.

But since the new tires went on, it's been silent...

kpaske
06/22/2006, 08:06 AM
Interesting... I believe mine may have started around the time I put new tires on. Hmmm... :confused:

WILLY
06/26/2006, 02:08 PM
Well I Have The Same Noises And I Believe It Is Normal For The All Wheel Drive System And The Way The Tranny Down Shifts When Slowing And Turning There Is Quite Alot Of Torque On The Drivetrain When Slowing And Turning At The Same Time Cause Of The Way The Tranny Downshifs My Drive Shaft Will Even Clunk A Bit When It Down Shifts Into First And I Believe And Have Been Told That It Is The Norm With These Things.and Hey There Vehigaz,when U Got It In 4 Low Do Not Make Quick Sharp Turns Cause U Will Get Alot Of Metal To Metal Grinding And Traction Slipping It Will Feel Like It Is Falling Apart And That Is Because The Knuckles That Manipulate The Spining Of The Front Wheels Can Not Manipulate That Fast At Such A Turn Radius If U Turn With It In 4 Low Make Slow Long Turns And Dont Turn The Wheel Too Far.well Im No Professional Ha Ha But I Think Im On The Right Track.willy

VehiGAZ
06/27/2006, 06:27 AM
The silent streak has ended - since yesterday, it's making the sound again. :-(

UGH!! What the heck is wrong with this thing?!

kpaske
06/27/2006, 09:01 AM
WILLY - There is some "clunking" that is common with the VX transmission when shifting, though I hesitate to call it "normal". Good quality synthetic ATF seems to keep mine in line, and I hear the "Interceptor" that Tone Monday sells on his website can also improve tranny performance.

As for my VX, I still haven't narrowed my problem down yet but I'll be giving it a good once (or twice!) over this weekend. I'm leaning towards replacing my shocks - I think they're about due. We'll see if that makes any difference.

WILLY
06/28/2006, 02:17 AM
I PUT RANCHO SHOCKS ON MINE AND LOVE IT WHAT A GREAT SOFT BUT FIRM RIDE,I JUST RECENTLY SPRUNG A LEAK ON MY TRANNY RIGHT WHERE THE SHIFT LEVER CONNECTS IT LOOKS LIKE BUT NOT SURE,I SNUGGED THE PAN BOLTS ONE 1/4 OF A TURN AND THAT DID NOT FIX IT MMMMMMMMM,AND MY CRUISE WILL NOT SET SINCE THE LEAK STARTED I HOPE ITS NOT SOME MAJOR BS HASSLE :mad: IM THINKING OF SELLING B4 THE ENGINE TAKES A POOP IT RUNS GREAT BUT IM A BIT NERVOUS FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ON THIS SITE IM AT 89,000 MILES AND WHO KNOWS, MY WARRENTY RUNS OUT IN A FEW HUNDRED MILES AND IM NOT SURE I WANT TO PUT ANYMORE $$$$$ INTO IT,I ALREADY HAVE 20,000 INVESTED AND THERE IS NO WAY IM GOING TO GET ANY WHERE NEAR THAT BACK IF I SELL IT,I LOVE THE THING LIKE CRAZY BUT IM UP IN ARMS OVER IT. :(

kpaske
06/28/2006, 10:06 AM
Once I came to the realization that my VX was a luxury expense and not an investment, and that any money that I put into it I would never get back, I found it much easier to justify the cost of maintenance and mods. If I added up every dollar I spent on my VX since I bought it new in 1999 I'm sure I would have to sell it for $60,000 or $70,000 to recoup my "investment", but as we all know, you'll never get from someone else what you truly feel the vehicle is worth. Therefore, I won't skimp on the mods or maintenance, because to me it's worth more than I will ever get for it anyway.

Spike
06/28/2006, 10:09 AM
Cat stuck in the rear well?

Cats screech... dogs howl...

With that said...

Dog stuck in the rear well?

t2p
07/03/2006, 10:42 AM
I believe the problem with my VX is in the transfer case .......
the transfer case may be sending too much power to the front end ....... (when it should not be) ......
this is especially noticeable/problem when making slow speed turns - you can feel the front and rear end 'fighting' ...... hear the additional drive train whine ........ similar to when 4wd low is engaged ..........

Crowml
11/21/2008, 06:30 AM
Still the same issues here. No solution huh?

VehiGAZ
11/21/2008, 07:04 AM
Dude you totally scared me resurrecting this thread!

I should update, though - that sound finally went away for me. My post above (#32) said that it came back even after the rear diff rebuild and new tires. Well it did, but just a couple of times, and it's been silent ever since.

Btw, my problem was not the one described by t2p in post #37 - my screech sound was definitely coming from the back end.