PDA

View Full Version : Vx Re-do???

Chopper
04/11/2006, 07:01 PM
Thinking about getting one of these lower dollar VXs, and doing it over. The idea has been surfacing every so often over the last year or so. Street machine, no rock climber... I got a thing for fast. The auto/slushbox is always the deal breaker; bought this car despite the auto (explains the low milage, 20,000 in 5 years). I'm talking pull the body off, dump the Isuzu/GM drive line and suspension.Junk all the TOD/4x4 stuff. Get rid of the heavy duty front suspension...give it proper rack and pinion steering and light weight coil over suspension. Lastly the five speed... the sticking point. What a PAIN to hang that third pedal. Did it once, never want to do it again...maybe. We have a NSX, and 350Z car in the yard. I'm really eyeing that Nissan drive line, the Honda's too much work and not torquey enough for such a big car. Subaru parts would work really well (easily) Don't want to do another 350/9in. rear deal ( we have the V8 Samari-see the gallery) This car deserves better. Figure I can lose 1000 pounds easily. Hate the Subaru gearbox- love the Honda but that link won't work. Back to the Nissan...Do love the VQ engine, a gem, and the gearbox is ok. I wonder if you guys are gonna hate me if I do this. I'm not asking for permission exactly, just respect your opinions. I've "known" you all for a few years now after all. Thoughts, suggestions, and especially ideas are welcomed. Think road race not drag race. The time is now, for a new project. What do you think.

Ldub
04/11/2006, 08:31 PM
Ya gonna chop the top too ? :naughty:

Go for it !

MZ-N10
04/11/2006, 09:22 PM
if u want power/torq with 4wd....rb26dett.......the vq is a nice motor but it doesnt take bolt on power very well. if u had the know how u might as well swap the gtr 4wd system too.

johnnyapollo
04/12/2006, 03:02 AM
Sounds like a fun project to me. If your donor was all original, etc I wouldn't do it - but there are plenty of VXes out there that are close to spent (wasted motors) or otherwise have problems that make them unrestorable (which fits with the low $$ requirement) - I say, just DO IT!

-- John

Joe_Black
04/12/2006, 05:53 AM
Wayne, don't sweat the clutch install. It's all Trooper/Rodeo in there so it's just a bolt-up proposition, and hydraulic to boot. Get yourself a late model 5-speed Trooper pedal assembly and you're good to go.

E-ZooZoo One
04/12/2006, 07:40 AM
Wayne, don't sweat the clutch install. It's all Trooper/Rodeo in there so it's just a bolt-up proposition, and hydraulic to boot. Get yourself a late model 5-speed Trooper pedal assembly and you're good to go.
Joe, you beat me to it. --- I just confirmed every word of this with Jerry Lemond… There’s even a (plugged) mounting hole for the master cylinder on the firewall.

Also confirmed this weekend:
The torque converter for a 60-degree V6 application 700R4 will bolt right up to our stock flex plate, and that same housing’s bolt pattern matches all of the 3.2 / 3.5 engines – so that only leaves the T-case mount (which appears to be identical, but this has not yet been confirmed) --- Overall length should be so close that you might even be able to use the same cross member, with little (if any) modifications.

Jerry also said that our 12-bolt rear is stout enough that it should be able to take at least 400hp, easily. :cool:

If someone wanted to give it a try, it appears that they could drop-in a 60* 700R4 – maybe with a shift kit, etc. (that has a slightly lower 1st gear, and a slightly higher overdrive, which is Bonus + Bonus!), and bolt it right up to the stock engine… for a while. --- Then later, maybe swap-in a supercharged 3.8, with plenty of potential upgrades available.

It’s a thought ;)

E-ZooZoo One
04/12/2006, 07:55 AM
Link to the Related Thread on 4x4Wire's Isuzu Tech Forum (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=856063&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

Maugan_VX
04/12/2006, 10:07 AM
Chopper,

Save yourself a lot of time and energy and just pop the body off the VX, and stick it on a "super" fiero chassis. I'm told you can shoehorn a SBC on that baby with only a little help from our friend ole milwaukee.

Raque Thomas
04/12/2006, 11:07 AM
Chopper - gotta go with something mean - like a 350hp V8 with gobbs of torque - if you're gonna do it!

Joe_Black
04/12/2006, 02:17 PM
Here ya go for some SERIOUS power, very lightweight and true all-wheel drive: Turbine Electric. Stick a little Solar turbine in the engine compartment, route dual fat pipes for exhaust out the back and put gear-drive AC motors at each corner. If you don't want to convert the rear to IRS (handling!) just put a single AC motor right on the diff.

Just think of the whine, whoosh then roar when you start up! Plus you can run on diesel or kero and even feed raw fuel into the exhaust for an afterburner. :)

Chopper
04/12/2006, 06:18 PM
WOW_ok NO turbo electric anything- I've explored the Amigo swap, but the tranny ain't gonna take any real HP. Got a V8 Samari... not doing that again. If I was going to do the 4x4 thing, I'd be looking Haldex or Audi, but I'm really feeling rear drive. NO Fiero! Yes John, I am talking about a spent one, there are plenty around.... not about to cut up 0177 or the other black...they don't total 30,000 mi. between them.Keep it comming, you guys are great. No one else would quite understand this obsession.

Triathlete
04/12/2006, 06:25 PM
Viper V10,,,tubeular frame/cage,,,strip the interior of all excess weight (gut the rear interior),,,suspension of your choice,,,! :smack:

Heraclid
04/12/2006, 07:41 PM
No, no, no... get a SL 600 motor... Mercedes V-12. :-D

Chopper
04/13/2006, 03:25 PM
Forgot, the top is already chopped enough. The grand Merc,ahhh, Gods own engine. If I remember correctly, they already wrap a pretty nice car around it in all its configurations. Besides that kind of money builds me a new track car. Same with the Viper crate engine, and the space issue. I'm looking around the local auctions and the salvage businesses we deal with at the shop. Thinking a wrecked bigger BMW, X3-X5 rear driver. Lots of juicy front end and engine bits there.

WyldWeasel
04/13/2006, 03:35 PM
I know this is a weird idea but have you thought about putting two (or maybe even three if they'll fit) Yamaha VMax motors in there?

mbeach
04/13/2006, 03:51 PM
I've always wanted to build a Super Seven clone with a Bimmer S50/ S52 motor (US 3.0/3.2L M3s).
Maybe it will fit in the VX..?

Joe_Black
04/13/2006, 06:05 PM
Okay Wayne, maybe this will appeal to your sense of "going against the grain" and appreciation of fine machinery: A Mercedes OM617 turbo diesel driving a dog box (Quaife or Jericho?) with some Finnish-style injection tuning. You can have as much power as the structure will sustain (pyrometer a must!) and the best part is simple, easy tuning with no electronics. Engines and parts aplenty, and the jaw-drop factor guaranteed. Oh, and you're environmentally friendly too! ;)

volume311
04/13/2006, 08:31 PM
Lemme get this straight, they are bolting a 700R4 to the 3.5/3.2?

E-ZooZoo One
04/14/2006, 02:37 AM
Lemme get this straight, they are bolting a 700R4 to the 3.5/3.2?
Not yet, but it’s happening very soon in a Honda Passport – and if all goes well, the example will no-doubt be followed…

Here’s another discussion about it at Planet Isuzoo (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7168)

Jerry Lemond (JLEMOND), The Original Isuzu Guru / Authorized Factory Technician Instructor (retired), has been working with Andre (Starchild) on all of the particulars… but it’s staring to look like everything will bolt right together.

Andre is using a rebuilt TH700R4 (4L60) / 60* V6 housing configuration transmission, with a shift kit, new solenoids, etc. - which cost a fraction of the cabbage it would have taken to buy a rebuilt 4L30.

We’re all keeping our fingers crossed, because with our 3.2s and 3.5s, it is highly unlikely that we will ever run into the ‘known performance limitations wall’ of that particular transmission… Plus, it’s a two wire install (one 12-volt positive connection + one TV cable), with a lower first gear (= quicker off-the-line, and a lower craw ratio), and a slightly higher overdrive ratio (= better highway mileage / lower RPMs at-speed)... Win + win + win ;)

Chopper
04/14/2006, 05:24 PM
Drove to Orlando, a few weeks back , to look a Caterhams. I'm too damed big for any of the cars I love.6'3", 34'inseam 185lbs., Worst of all... size 12 feet! Lotus and anything they ever designed, is just not my friend. Doesn't matter how much I love their product. Joseph, Joey, Joe--You figure because I bought one automotive novelty act, I am up for giving birth to another?? Some of those Euro deisels are fun tho. We had a Toureg with the big diesel in it for a few weeks... you could twist my arm. Course that means I gotta go back to the woods, so I can cook my own go juice...gettin' too old for all that.

Joe_Black
04/14/2006, 09:06 PM
No worries on the fuel, you can still use pump diesel. And it's not too radical of a swap as some have already done it into the 2WD late-model Trooper. And if have doubts about the tunability or power output of the 5-cylinder MB engine just check these video clips out...

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~hecekiel/dieselboost_demo.mpg

http://students.tukkk.fi/tuukka.sim...ot/kiikala.mpeg

http://students.tukkk.fi/tuukka.sim...sukiihytys.mpeg

http://students.tukkk.fi/tuukka.sim...ukiihytys2.mpeg

http://students.tukkk.fi/tuukka.sim...uvideot/std.wmv

http://students.tukkk.fi/tuukka.sim...7liukasta2.mpeg

http://www.kolumbus.fi/sallatoimi/ep/veto1.mpg

Not to mention how Audi spanked all the gassers at Sebring recently with their new diesel formula car. :p

Chopper
04/17/2006, 06:05 PM
You're preaching to the choir, when it comes to German diesels. My greasy little fingers have been wraped around one or two fun oilers.