PDA

View Full Version : Slotted rotors

Andrey
04/08/2006, 09:40 AM
Noticed recently several slotted/cross drilled rotors on ebay. They claim to be covered with something (zink ?) to prevent surface rust. The question is for guyes/gals who use slotted/drilled rotors - do they get rusty ? do you feel increase in breaking power ? do you use special pads or stock will do ? noise issue ? What kind will you reccomend ? Need to use braided lines also ? thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EBC-BRAKE-DISC-99-01-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-GD637_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQitemZ80539 67597QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWERSTOP-BRAKE-DISC-99-01-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-JBR567R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQitemZ805 4138712QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

mbeach
04/08/2006, 04:55 PM
The zinc plating prevents rust on all of the areas NOT swept by the pads. This means the sides of the rotor, the slots/holes, the vanes, and most importantly the "hats".
It also makes wheel and rotor removal much easier, as the rotors will no longer "stick" to the wheels.

Other than the plating, everything else (pads, fluid, lines) can stay just like stock. A slightly more agressive pad will wear through the plating faster (not a bad thing).

Andrey
04/09/2006, 08:20 AM
thanks, what kind do you use ?

Cyrk
04/09/2006, 04:50 PM
I have a set of PowerSlot Rotors w/ upgrade pads and Darlington Off-Road Stainless Steel Braided Brakelines ... very happy with them and no rust.

Got the rotors from here:
http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?searchtype=4d&sortorder=Anone&productcategory=Brake+Rotors&category=Brakes&mode=change&sf1=ISUZU&sf2=1999&sf3=VEHICROSS

Got the SS Brake lines from here:
http://darlington-offroad.com/category.html?UCIDs=1134065

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/636000-636999/636823_24_full.jpg

mbeach
04/09/2006, 11:02 PM
I've used both Brembo and StopTech. Very good quality, but neither of them were plated, and both eventually rusted (each were protected by paint on the hats and edges, but heat killed the paint in a year or so).

The only plated rotors I've ever used were some eBay cheapies (irotors) on my S14, and R1Concepts on the Dragon. The rotors from irotors were not of good quality, but the plating held up nicely. The rotors from R1Concepts looked and performed great however.

I guess that the bottom line is to get good rotors, the plating, if done properly, will prevent corrosion. I went out on a limb with the eBay rotors, and I'm batting .500. I think that either of your options (EBC and PowerSlot) will be suitable.

Paul UK
04/09/2006, 11:23 PM
Hi,

increasing the scope of this thread a little, I need new front pads (may as well go for rear at the same time) but over here dealers don't recognise the vehicross as it's so rare and only grey imported. I've heard rumours that the brakes and pads are common with the trooper (or bighorn) - is this true? If not - or even if so - can anyone name the part # for the correct pads? Stock would be OK but I'd really like to go for something a bit better - any recommendations?

Thanks for your help
Paul

Tone
04/10/2006, 05:55 AM
I can supply you with EBC or SP Performance pads and rotors - email me if interested.

Ruflyf
04/10/2006, 07:44 AM
Dont have a stock number yet, but I plan to replace mine with ceramic, they are somewhat smoother than conventional pads and the BIGGIE, !! say goodbye to brake dust.

Tone
04/10/2006, 09:10 AM
EBC Red Stuff
Front DP7973
Rear - not avail

Green
Front DP6973
Rear DP6974

E-ZooZoo One
04/11/2006, 10:20 AM
I've heard rumours that the brakes and pads are common with the trooper (or bighorn) - is this true?
According to a conversation that I had with Jerry Lemond this weekend...
YES, the 2nd Gen Trooper and VX brake components (rotors, pads, calipers, etc.) are 100% interchangeable.

Andrey
04/11/2006, 07:29 PM
I've used both Brembo and StopTech. Very good quality, but neither of them were plated, and both eventually rusted (each were protected by paint on the hats and edges, but heat killed the paint in a year or so).

The only plated rotors I've ever used were some eBay cheapies (irotors) on my S14, and R1Concepts on the Dragon. The rotors from irotors were not of good quality, but the plating held up nicely. The rotors from R1Concepts looked and performed great however.

I guess that the bottom line is to get good rotors, the plating, if done properly, will prevent corrosion. I went out on a limb with the eBay rotors, and I'm batting .500. I think that either of your options (EBC and PowerSlot) will be suitable.

Can you say some more on R1concepts ? noise ? vibration ? stock pads ? rust ? thanks

mbeach
04/11/2006, 09:13 PM
Let me first say that I have no affiliation with r1concepts whatsoever.

Last summer, I put the r1concepts slotted/drilled/plated rotors on the Dragon. I added Axxis Ultimate pads (dusty, but my street favorite) and a thorough lubing of the calipers.
I broke the pads in with the StopTech method (5 hard brakes, just below the ABS threshold, from 60-5mph.) It sounds harsh, but I've used it on every car that I've owned for the last 5 years. On the 5th 'stop', the brakes will smoke -they are now bedded. Drive around off the brakes to cool them off.
This method runs counter to a lot of other advice, but it works for me.
Anyways,
I then proceded to hook the Dragon up to a (slightly less than) 4000 lb UHaul trailer and drive it 4200 miles to Alaska. Lots of hills and mountains. Keep in mind, these pads/rotors had less than 50 miles on them when I started out.

After the drive, I found the rotors appeared in "like new" condition. They had very little marking, even on the swept surfaces. A side bonus, the lack of pad 'prints,' caused by stopping on hot pads and leaving them in contact with the rotors.

I really can't say enough good things about the r1concepts rotors. For the price (or even triple,) I haven't been able to find their equal.
I have not used Tone's rotors (yet), but I'm sure that his are of equal quality or better.

Andrey
04/12/2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks ! Some members here advise against cross drilled as they say stones got into them damaging pads. I do not really go offroading. I pretty much stay on the road but here, in Boston, even if you stay on the road some people call that offroading :) Did you have any issue with stone getting caught into them ?

mbeach
04/12/2006, 10:35 PM
I am the member that advises against cross-drilled rotors for off road use.
I had issues with them on my WRX. These rotors were on my wife's VX, not mine. My truck is our primary off-road vehicle.

r1concepts will also supply slotted only rotors, and do custom plating (black, silver or gold). I was going to order a set of black slotted only rotors this summer.

Andrey
04/24/2006, 07:59 PM
well, looked around - and I think I might settle for these http://www.trinetmotorsports.com/

it is about $216 for all 4 of them to Boston. They have cross-drilled and slotted and slotted only. I understand that some other companies might have a better product but I am not ready to drop 1k for the breaks upgrade. I also will order braided lines to do everything in one "pass". I hope to keep my pads as they only had about 5k on them. did anybody use these guyes ?

Tone
04/24/2006, 08:17 PM
That is pretty cheap for 4 rotors. I'd be concerned about longevity and notice they only offer a 90 day warranty which means they probably don't make their own and simply import someone elses. Good quality rotors don't have to cost that much - I just spent $500 for my all 4 drilled and slotted rotors made here in the US. Unless your rotors are worn out or you rally/race, do the stainless lines first and you'll be plenty happy and out less than $200.

Andrey
04/24/2006, 08:32 PM
so you go with drilled and slotted Tone ? how about the issue of drilled weakening the rotor ?

mbeach
04/24/2006, 09:38 PM
I'd be pretty wary of those as well.
I've never heard of them, and I'll bet no one else here has either.
Plus, any company that machines the "IwannabeJesseJames Iron Cross" into the rotors can't be "performance" oriented.

I'm living the pain of subpar rotors -purchased to save a few bucks. Don't do what I did.

Oh, change your pads with the new rotors.