PDA

View Full Version : hood release

Mark B
04/07/2006, 07:16 AM
Can anyone tell me how to get the hood open when the hood release is not working inside my vcross. I cannot seem to find out how to open the hood from the outside. Help, I want to service my vcross. :confused:

WormGod
04/07/2006, 07:25 AM
I have the same issue and have for about a year now. I have to have someone pull the latch and another person to push and pull on the hood till it opens. The dealer estimated $300 to fix it and I said "!@#$ that!". Hopefully this spring, I can find some time out of work to fix it myself.

Good luck!

AlaskaVX
04/07/2006, 01:14 PM
Mine is on the verge, I normally have to pop it---(pull it up all the way there is no pop) 3-4 times before it finally opens.

Numba1goalie
04/07/2006, 01:50 PM
When you get it open, you should adjust those rubber bushings up so that it will pop it up when you pull.

Cobrajet
04/08/2006, 06:05 AM
When mine had this problem I used a piece of pipe insulation wedged in the latch to hold it up while I ran to the front to lift the hood. I did this for several months until my next major service and then got the dealer to adjust it correctly. I tried to adjust the hood latch and rubber bumpers myself, but could never get it to work properly. My hood still doesn't "pop up" when I pull the lever and sticks just a little before opening. There is no spring in mine to initiate the lift. Is this a design flaw?

etlsport
04/08/2006, 07:36 AM
this is probably somethin youve already tried.. but when i took my dash off, i pulled the hood release lever out too.. when i put it all back together, hood wouldnt release, so took it apart again and realized the hood release actually can be mounted in different positions, so i pulled the whole assembly as far forward (towards the seat) as i could before tightening the screws, havent had any trouble since

Knigh7s
04/09/2006, 01:11 PM
Had this same problem when I first bought mine back in Jan. When you ever do get it open, just spray some liquid wrench or WD40 on the latch and let it soak. then close the hood and pull the lever several times to break the old grease and grime that accumulates over time. Worked for me.

VehiGAZ
04/10/2006, 05:34 AM
Lube worked for me too. You probably don't need an adjustment - especially not when it'll cost you a half hour at the dealer service rate! Road dirt gets in that mechanism and prevents it from moving freely, which is why it doesn't pop up when you pull the lever (in most cases). You just have to WD40 it every now and then. I've had to do this at one point or another on almost every car I ever owned.

Never forget the Golden Rule of Automotive Repair...

All you need to fix anything on a car is WD40 and duct tape - if it's supposed to move and doesn't, use the WD40. If it's not supposed to move and it does, use the tape. :-)

Mark B
04/10/2006, 02:13 PM
Hood Release
Still trying to get my hood release to open.
I have tried some suggestions from this other vx's that had the same problem.
Any other ideas before I damage the hood?
Thanks for the help

psychos2
04/10/2006, 02:39 PM
Use an extension with a swivel and socket to remove the three bolts holding the hood latch ,then open the hood. you should be able to open the hood enough to release the mechanism. shawn

Moncha
04/10/2006, 04:53 PM
Merged the threads + a bump.. same subject..