PDA

View Full Version : leaking radiator

iownvx
04/02/2006, 05:40 PM
Hi,

My 01 VX (31k miles never offload) is leaking cooleant right below the radiator. It leaked as I poured new coolant in. I checked the coolant drain plug and it was tight, and checked other hoses connecting to radiator and everything looked normal.

It looked like the coolant was leaking from the radiator itself. Is it common for this vehicle to have a faulty radiator at 31k?

I did a search on the forum and didn't see anyone else has this problem.

Ruflyf
04/02/2006, 08:20 PM
I highly doubt its common for any radiator failure at 31k, but to be more specific, I havent heard of any radiator issues at all, sounds like you took a pebble through the grill maybe.

You can do a little experiment is its leaking that much without any pressure.
1) Start by draining the entire radiator.
2) Then fill it as quickly as you can measuring how much you are putting in. When its full you will have the basic capacity of your radiator.
3) Now let it leak til it stops leaking, then refill it to the top again....again measuring how much you are adding.
4) This will tell you about how high or low the leak is coming from.

Pretty low tech, but its something to try.

VehiX
04/03/2006, 05:14 AM
Also check to be sure the radiator isn't moving around. When I first bought my 99' used back in 2001 I noticed the top of the radiator could be moved a little front to back by hand. With the VX's bumpy ride and a loose radiator, I assume this could cause a crack along the way some where or possibly loosen a clamp. I simply tightend it up a bit at that time and never had a problem with it.