PDA

View Full Version : Oil filler cap gasket.

blacksambo
03/30/2006, 08:40 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to mention what seems to be the importance of a fresh oil filler cap gasket. Yes, that seemingly silly "o" ring under the plastic filler cap. We have two '99 VX's and they both seemed to be using the proverbial quart per thousand miles. And then I suspected something about the VX's sealed oil system, when I saw some oil blow-by at the cap. You know, some old oil sludge around the neck of the oil filler cap. I cleaned them both off and replaced the old rubber gaskets with new ones. Voila, much reduced oil loss. It was just blowing by and not activating the PVC properly. Even though you may have a gasket under the cap, mine at 70K were all but no good. Turned from rubber to hard plastic and leaking to beat the band. So, the moral of the story is get fresh rubber under that cap and hang on to your precious synthetic oil.

Tone
04/01/2006, 09:30 AM
If you were blowing that much oil by the cap, you'd have serious smoking. But it is good to check all gaskets like that and the oil pan crush ring.

mbeach
04/01/2006, 01:08 PM
The Dragon experienced a serious oil-loss after one of the valve cover gaskets sprung a leak. Passenger side rear, next to the EGR -oil sprayed out and then immediately vaporized on the pipe -no residue, just smell. Lost a quart or so in 250-300 miles.

iownvx
04/08/2006, 10:57 AM
where did you buy the o ring gasket?

blacksambo
04/10/2006, 11:10 AM
I got mine from the Isuzu dealer. Also, in response to Tone's reply about smoking; one of our '99's did have enough blow-by at the filler cap to noticeably smoke and by repalcing the filler cap o-ring it stopped.

etlsport
12/19/2007, 09:13 AM
i think ive got this problem too.. the ring on mine feels like plastic, not rubber, wonder if its possible to replace this at a local parts store

tom4bren
12/19/2007, 10:02 AM
Advance Auto has replacement caps that come with a flat rubber washer. I didn't check about the gasket by itself.

deermagnet
12/19/2007, 11:18 AM
The oil cap with a rubber gasket is easy to find at most any auto parts store for a few bucks. Look for one like this. It's larger and much easier to grip and turn.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mag/mag3/11.jpg

Mark

Edit: etlsport provided the part # below and a search shows the company is Stant.

etlsport
12/19/2007, 11:53 AM
yep i just picked one of those up.. part number 11101 it was 6.99 I think, hopefully this will curb the oil consumption a tad

JHarris1385
12/19/2007, 12:20 PM
I think I am going to pick this up as well. Thanks for the idear.

Y33TREKker
12/19/2007, 01:46 PM
The oil cap with a rubber gasket is easy to find at most any auto parts store for a few bucks. Look for one like this. It's larger and much easier to grip and turn.

That'd be nice. It seems that even if I put the stocker back on just tight enough to seal, it's still a PITA to remove after the engines' been warmed up a few times.

etlsport
12/19/2007, 02:51 PM
yep... i started keeping a set of pipe pliers in the vx to make sure i never had a situation where the filler cap wouldnt come off when I needed to top off the oil, havent had to take the new one off but it is bigger and has slightly better grips on it

nfpgasmask
12/19/2007, 03:47 PM
Me too. I get oil residue around the neck of mine fill hole too. Where did you guys get this cap?

Bart

etlsport
12/19/2007, 06:08 PM
advanced auto.. i saw it at pep boys too though, at advanced auto i had to ask at the counter, pep boys had it on the floor.. just a cap on a yellow cardboard card and the number on the top right corner is 11101

nfpgasmask
01/08/2008, 02:24 PM
yep i just picked one of those up.. part number 11101 it was 6.99 I think, hopefully this will curb the oil consumption a tad

Does anyone know where I can order one of these? I have been to PepBoys, Napa, 2 Kragens and 2 Autozones with no luck.

Thanks,
Bart

tom4bren
01/08/2008, 02:31 PM
Got one sitting in the drawer at home. PM me your mailing addy & I'll send.

nfpgasmask
01/08/2008, 02:36 PM
Got one sitting in the drawer at home. PM me your mailing addy & I'll send.

Cool, but is it one of these new ones? I want to replace the stock one with one of these cool "S" new ones.

If so, for sure, let me know the cost plus shipping and I will paypal you!

Thnaks man!

Bart

tom4bren
01/08/2008, 02:45 PM
It's got the general shape as the one Deermagnet showed. I can't remember if it has an S on it tho. Why so picky - the price is right - FREE!!!

nfpgasmask
01/08/2008, 03:08 PM
Hey man, thanks. I'm not picky, I just wasn't sure if it was your old original one, or a new one. Either way, let me know the shipping costs and I will paypal you for that at least.

PM sent,

Thanks! Bart

It's got the general shape as the one Deermagnet showed. I can't remember if it has an S on it tho. Why so picky - the price is right - FREE!!!

ChernerParts
01/15/2008, 09:13 AM
Does anyone know where I can order one of these? I have been to PepBoys, Napa, 2 Kragens and 2 Autozones with no luck.

Thanks,
Bart
Actually, from a dealer (Like us!), this would be $5 delivered to the mailbox. I could rush ship it, but it's small enough to fit in an envelope to really make it cheap to deliver.

We're east coast, but it's never bad to combine with a full tune up kit or some other dealer part that you'll pay more for somewhere else!

tom4bren
01/24/2008, 01:48 PM
Bart - mailed it yesterday but maybe order a spare from ChernerParts.

nfpgasmask
01/24/2008, 01:52 PM
Bart - mailed it yesterday but maybe order a spare from ChernerParts.

Thanks, Tom!

Bart

tom4bren
01/24/2008, 01:56 PM
No problem. Sorry it took so long.

Work+commute+procrastination+travel+family=Bart gets to wait.

Moncha is still waiting on his stuff.

Pity poor Zeus if I'm ever supposed to send him sumpin:)

ZEUS
01/24/2008, 02:14 PM
I just want to see pics of your hacked up wheel wells! Going on a month now... "One more thing to push off till never."

tom4bren
01/24/2008, 02:46 PM
Posted weeks ago:eek:

I was actually more proactive on your request than anyone else in the history of VehiCROSS.info.com

Definitely sumpin wrong with that:)

UH OH, gotta eat crow - just checked my gallery & they ain't there. 2nd attempt momentarily.

OK, they're there now. (see pic below - I'm virtually giving you the same expression as Mr. Eistein)

Zeus - Ain't nice to play mind games with an unarmed man. The pix weren't in my gallery but were in the 'got offset' thread (bumped).

Really son, when you ask a question, you really should pay attention for a response.

PM me with your email if you want any of them in higher res.