PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal clicking...

kobie
03/30/2006, 10:43 AM
:confused: Even when barely tapping the brake pedal I hear this distinct click from what sounds like under the daskboard. The click happens just as my foot leaves the brake and no matter in what manner I depress the brake pedal I hear the click. It's driving me nuts!
Any ideas on a solution to this problem?

VX crazy
03/30/2006, 11:56 AM
Mine has been squeeking and it sounds like its coming from behind the dash, right where the brake booster lives. It now makes the noise when I press and depress so I am off to the dealership tomorrrow.

VehiX
03/30/2006, 12:02 PM
:confused: Even when barely tapping the brake pedal I hear this distinct click from what sounds like under the daskboard. The click happens just as my foot leaves the brake and no matter in what manner I depress the brake pedal I hear the click. It's driving me nuts!
Any ideas on a solution to this problem?

I believe this to be the shift lock, the shifter will not move out of park unless your foot is on the break. If you listen closely, you'll notice the sound is coming from the shifter, not under the dash.

This is normal :)

AlaskaVX
03/30/2006, 05:28 PM
I have gotten the sound within the last couple weeks and I am loosing brake fluid. Haven't had a chance to find it yet, let me know if ya figure it out and I will do the same.

albarosa1116
06/05/2006, 11:08 AM
I have a 2001 model, with what might be a similar problem.

Just today the brakes started clicking. I actually thought it was creaking, but the sound was coming from below the dash and I could feel a slight pulse (like the brake was pushing back) with each click. Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

Could it be the same problem found in this other thread?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4925

Thanks.

shoota77
06/05/2006, 11:15 AM
I think it's the shift lock...mine has been doing it as long as i can remember. I think I have a "dee-dee-dee" VX though, as I can freely move my shifter even without pushing on the brake. Doesn't seem to be an issue thus far. The sound to me, sounds like it's coming from the shifter area.

mbeach
06/05/2006, 12:35 PM
I traced my clicking noise back to two components -the rod from the brake pedal lever to the booster, and the brake light switch.

I only noticed the noise after I changed my master cylinder and the fluid was very low/unbled.

It's a lot less noisy now.

I don't know how low fluid would contribute to a loose rod/switch, but it seems to affect it.

Try it yourself -put your head on the floorboard and press on the pedal a few times. You can actually see the source of the clicking.

etlsport
06/05/2006, 06:28 PM
i dont have an audible clicking.. but when i press the brake down really far i can feel it pulsing.. only noticed it the other day when i zoned at a stop light and realized i had the brake pretty much on the floor, just had the brakes system flushed/changed (for other reasons) but havent noticed it in the last couple days since

albarosa1116
06/06/2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

BRAKE PEDAL CLICKING/PULSING
The original clicking/pulsing was coming from the brake pedal. I checked the brake fluid level and it was low, adding additional fluid resolved the problem. It must have been some combination of low brake fluid and humidity.

SHIFTER CLICING
As for clicking under the shifter, I noticed that this only occurs when the car is in Park and when I release the brake. Is there any way to fix this? By the way, What's a "dee-dee-dee" VX?

WyldWeasel
06/06/2006, 02:38 PM
I seem to recall something in the owner's manual about the brakes clicking in order to warn about some brake abnormality. I'll have to find mine and reread it.