PDA

View Full Version : Question for Chopper

Joe_Black
03/24/2006, 03:15 PM
Thought to PM you on this then realized it would be good info for any interested. ;)

Could you recommend a decent HVLP set-up for the small shop? I'm mostly looking to paint my antique Caterpillars and Ford Thousand-series tractors, but as I gain proficiency would like to be able to paint my rally cars and other vehicular projects. So something that's decent enough to last and get parts for, straightforward to use and set-up, and can handle a reasonable variety of common materials/finishes.

I've never worked with any kind of paint equipment before, although have been around it a lot dealing with paint shops when I had a restoration and detailing business and when I've done body work I usually sent it over for them to do the finish work.

Thanks!

Chopper
03/25/2006, 05:40 PM
Just off the top of my head(I'll do some actual researching on Monday). Noncomercial operations are Very loosely regulated, for the time being, in Fla. Questions,questions... lets see, well for openers, a plain ol' 6000 buck paint booth will end up more like 100,000 by the time all the regs have been met, permits gotten, and saftey systems in and inspected. I think a "hobbiest" can do the same thing for maybe 20; I may be wrong, I gotta check. The equipment is the cheap part so don't try to save money there, really think about what you need now and 5 years from now, and make your decision. As for the actual "juice", most of what you're describing calls for tough old single stage enamels. You know... like engine compartment paint. Maybe some sort of poly or epoxy on modern equipment... but plain ol' Dupont and such on antique Cats and Harvesters. Every race car I've ever painted, was squirted using the cheapest,whatever color you got extra of,I need it tomorrow, Dupont Nason, 20buck'agallon,paint. A Binks number seven gun is not hvlp but, it is made for just these kinds of products (it's a hose) and I think it's really tough to beat for that work-maybe 3 or 400 bucks-Astro Pnumatics makes a 50 dollar knock off thats really pretty good.
Modern multi stage materials (car paint) is where the finer guns do best. I have a DeVilbiss Plus that can handle both types pretty well...still like it for "deep" clear coat that is going to be finished by hand. The over all day to day, shoot it,buff it, and ship it, duties are done with Satas... my fav for custom stuff as well. The Devilbiss was about 400, the Satas, 5-700 dollars. Get a good compressor, desicant filters, and a simple, cheap, end draft booth. In the end, equipment only gets you so far in the paint room...it's all prep prep prep, attention to detail, practice, and a bit of talent that really gets results. Squirting on the paint is almost the least of it. We can go on for hours about this. Maybe ride over to the shop some Sat. and check out our setup. Nothing fancy, just nice, and all we need. Dip your tootsies in the ocean when you're done. Too bad, this Saturday was Flagler County Cattleman's Association Cracker Day Bar-B-Q,(5000 lbs.of sirloin this year) rodeo,fair, greased pig,sack race blow out. Best 10 bucks you can spend in March, even includes the food! Wayne