PDA

View Full Version : Bad Rear Rotors !!!!!

psychos2
03/22/2006, 10:02 AM
Finally changed the rear rotors on my vx.The old ones were crumbling to pieces. here are some pics for those who say "How can the rotors crumble to pieces?" The rusted spots are where the outer layer has flaked off and left a pit in the rotor. shawn

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/P10100083.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/P10100072.JPG

Ldub
03/22/2006, 04:35 PM
Any chance that is from your rear axle coming in contact with ocean/salt water when dropping a boat in ?
That is some serious corrosion.
Ldub

psychos2
03/22/2006, 07:39 PM
Any chance that is from your rear axle coming in contact with ocean/salt water when dropping a boat in ?
That is some serious corrosion.
Ldub

No i have never backed it into saltwater. It is not really corrosion, more like rusting from the inside out. Like the metal was garbage from the begining. They do use alot of salt up here in the winter, but if that was the cause the fronts would look the same. I really think it was a bad batch of rotors. shawn

Andrey
03/22/2006, 08:44 PM
I had identical issue. After I swapped them for new (no name, $34 a piece) it is a bit better but not much. I still can not get pads to work all the "active" surface of the rotor - still getting rusty lines (not mirror polished look like fronts are getting... wtssup with that ??? :_confused

psychos2
03/22/2006, 09:07 PM
I had identical issue. After I swapped them for new (no name, $34 a piece) it is a bit better but not much. I still can not get pads to work all the "active" surface of the rotor - still getting rusty lines (not mirror polished look like fronts are getting... wtssup with that ??? :_confused

My fronts are polished too. Those are next. I wanted to wait til I could afford drilled and slotted rotors, but as you can see I could not wait any longer. So I will wait a little bit and then change the front to slotted and drilled. Eventually it will be slotted and drilled in the rear too. Shawn

VR4-Quest
03/24/2006, 07:48 AM
Same here Andrey, new pads, etc. and the top and bottom surfaces of the rotors never contact, even after repeated attempts at hard stops, breaking in reverse, etc. I even bled the brakes a couple times, not dice........

psychos2
03/24/2006, 09:25 AM
the pads on the rear do not contact the whole surface area.they are not wide enough. that is just how they are. shawn