PDA

View Full Version : New Popper Kits - $24.95

Joe_Black
03/15/2006, 01:35 PM
Found a site today that's offering complete popper kits for $24.95 or if you want heavy-duty $54.95, check it out...

$24.95 Popper Kit (http://www.12vp.com/Item_table_shaved_door_handle_kit.htm)

http://www.12vp.com/sdhk1150_1.jpg

Tone
03/15/2006, 01:45 PM
Good find. You will also need to get the door popper spring that pushes the door open after the solenoid pulls the latch. A pulley also makes the kit much, much easier to install. And a GM factory trunk release button if you want a smooth install in the glove box. And a long pin switch to tie the back door into your alarm and activate the overhead light when you open the rear door.

etlsport
03/15/2006, 01:46 PM
thanks Joe! being in college.. ive been saving up for Tone's kit... but that one looks like it could be the way to go... a couple of questions... do you think the 15lb one would be enough for the rear hatch.. and two... id also need to get the door spring too, otherwise the rear hatch would just unlock and not actually open right?

Joe_Black
03/15/2006, 01:50 PM
According to the site the kit comes with the popper spring, but they also sell them separately for $19.99 a pair. The pulley is a common hanging-door part available at any home or hardware supply for about $4.00, although many have installed the earlier kits without using it. The release button will pop right out of the included bracket for a clean glove-box or center console install.

VehiGAZ
03/15/2006, 02:09 PM
Listen to Tone... this looks a lot like what he must build his kits from! ;-)

You won't need a heavy-duty solenoid, as the latch mechanism is VERY light. The heavy duty solenoidss are for unlatching the side doors, which are a lot tougher.

From my experience, I would suggest you buy and install the extra door popper spring, since my setup (with the one spring Tone's kit provided) doesn't open if the VX is pointing even slightly downhill, or if it VX is parked across a slope leaning to the right, or...

I dont think this setup needs a pulley - I think that black tube-like thing at the top of the picture appears to be a "sleeve" that the solenoid cable runs through (working like the brakes on a bike). I might be wrong, though.

Tone is right about the pin switch, though... The other two reasons for installing the kit are to wire the rear hatch into the alarm system AND to get the dome light to come on when you open the hatch. Tone's kit accomplishes both of those things, this kit does neither.

Anyway, great find!!

VehiGAZ
03/15/2006, 02:11 PM
Of course, you can find that pin switch on the same site...

http://www.12vp.com/item_car_remote_starter_parts.htm

Tone, we found your source!!!

Tone
03/16/2006, 06:43 AM
It's not my source but has essentially the same parts sans the pulley that I include and the $20 GM trunk release button. I just tried to get all of the parts together in a single package including all the wire, connectors and hardware.

VehiGAZ
03/16/2006, 02:13 PM
Hey don't get me wrong, Tone - I'm not criticizing or even lamenting what I paid for your kit. It was a very necessary upgrade that is worth its weight in gold, since I had no idea how to put together such a mechanism (and collection of parts) myself.

My only complaint is about that spring plunger - I need more push on the door - so I am going to order that pair and put in as many as I can somehow.

Joe_Black
03/16/2006, 02:50 PM
Take your existing plunger apart and just put in a stiffer spring.

VehiGAZ
03/17/2006, 06:13 AM
Now THERE'S a good idea! I didn't realize the plunger would disassemble. Thanks Joe!

Joe_Black
03/17/2006, 06:29 AM
Some will some won't, so if yours doesn't find one that does. Most I've seen can be disassembled in some manner. Anything beats putting more holes in the VX! ;)

Tone
03/17/2006, 10:55 AM
No dis taken - did you put the silver metal plate on the door itself? You can also put a larger rubber bumper over the existing one. That is the longest throw spring out there - if the vehicle is off, you will usually have to push the button twice to get solenoid to pull the cable with enough force. Also, where you mount the spring has a lot do with it as well as the adjustment of the door lock assembly.