PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

driver3
03/14/2006, 08:25 AM
I need new shocks

I'm doing the research here...

The two major ones seem to be Bilstein and Rancho

Has anyone looked into a dual shock setup? Is that possible for our vehicle? Does it even make sense?

I'm worried about the bilsteins based on this:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7619&highlight=Bilstein
but then this is good
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4874&highlight=Bilstein

The rancho adjustables seem stupid since most leave them on setting 9 the entire time
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6106&highlight=Bilstein

There are also gabriels
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2845&highlight=Bilstein

So the question is which ones... btw.. I'm at 102,000 miles (although 60k have been driven with bigger tires, so probably more).. with the originals.. they are not leaking, but feel not as tight as they used to be... it's time to get new ones. I want them as stiff as possible, I love the bounciness.. and deal with it based on the fact they are the best off-road.

I'm hopefully only looking at like 300-500 range I hope.. but if duals are possible, I'm up for it.. that would be cool, not sure if there's much room up there or if it even makes sense with independent suspension.

Please let me know what you guys are doing with the suspension for a normal vx (no lift, although someday I will, it's just not in the budget right now)

Andrew

JULIAN911
03/14/2006, 10:04 AM
Can' comment on the other shocks but can attest that the Rancho RS9000 shocks ride much softer. I have mine set at 5 in front and 4 in rear. The OEM shocks were just too hard for my taste and still have the rear ones in the garage if you're interested (PM me) - they were removed at 35K miles.

Ldub
03/14/2006, 10:30 AM
I need new shocks (cut)
Has anyone looked into a dual shock setup? Is that possible for our vehicle?
(cut)
I'm hopefully only looking at like 300-500 range I hope.. but if duals are possible, I'm up for it.. that would be cool, not sure if there's much room up there or if it even makes sense with independent suspension.

Please let me know what you guys are doing with the suspension for a normal vx (no lift, although someday I will, it's just not in the budget right now)

Andrew

How about TRIPLES??? Anything is possible w/ enough cubic $$$.
Also, you may wish to try rebuilding the stock shocks...there was a thread on this topic, I think it was about $125 ea. to rebuild.
Try a site search using shock rebuild.
Ldub

Navigator
03/14/2006, 11:41 AM
When I first got my Rancho 9000's a few years ago I set them to 9 and liked it. But trust me when I say over time you may get sick of being banged around and try other settings. I am currently on 5 on all four corners, and loving it. It's good to have options. Go 9000.

Gabriels are way too soft, you'll feel like you're in a small boat on choppy seas. The VX will nose dive at every stop then rock like a see/saw.

Go 9000. :luck:

E-ZooZoo One
03/14/2006, 12:24 PM
Andrew,

First off… IMO, dual shocks would be major overkill. --- With so little sprung/un-sprung weight, you simply don’t need that much damping… a single shock with the right valving should be way more than adequate.

Right now I still have the stock shocks on the VX - but I’ve been running Rancho 9000s on the Rodeo for years. --- Their adjustability is what made me choose them in the first place – and I’ve been very pleased with them.

Since the VX shares the same dash configuration with my 1997 Rodeo, here’s a thought…

http://bombasticfx.com/RS-instal-3.JPG

If you can get it to work properly (without leaking air *), the In-Cab Controller is a nice upgrade. ;)

* The secret is to use Synthetic Bearing Grease on the O-rings inside of the adjuster chambers, instead of the manufacturer-recommended White Lithium variety. --- The heavier grease makes a much tighter seal… Just be sure not to use too much.

At some point I’ll almost certainly install a set of Rancho 9000Xs and an In-Cab Controller on the VX. --- It’ll be nice to have the same ability to smooth-out the ride quality on rough city streets, highway trips, etc. - and then dial-it-up to ‘bone-jarring’ whenever I like (simply by pushing that red button from the comfort of the driver’s seat) for spirited driving on curvy mountain roads, off-roading, etc.

Take my word for it - you don’t have to dial Ranchos all of the way up to the #9 setting to get a firm ride… they start getting mighty-darn stiff at about 4 or 5. --- If I had to guess, I’d say that somewhere between the #6 and #7 setting is about equal to the stiffness/firmness of the stock VX shocks. --- Driving around in my Rodeo with the Ranchos set at #9 almost feels like I’m running sold steel bars for dampers (they would undoubtedly feel even more harsh on a VX).

HTH!

Ruflyf
03/14/2006, 12:25 PM
Julian, how much would you want for the originals?

AlaskaVX
03/14/2006, 12:50 PM
I would probobly go with the 9000's, unless you have enough money for the Bilsien 7100's... I have no experience with them but from what I have heard they are really nice (but not even sure if they make the right size though) If they don't have the right size I remember someone stating that they do custom sizing. I loved the way the 5150's rode but snap, crackle, pop goes the top eyelet with MILD/little offroading. The front Bilsteins (H1's) that I have (their OEM type ones) seem to be too loose, I would go with H0 maybe or if you can find a gas pressurized one go with that, and let me know what you went with.

nocturnalVX
03/14/2006, 01:32 PM
I recently went to Rancho 9000 shocks & have to say that I'm very pleased. I am running them at setting #5 on all corners and am enjoying the cushy ride right now, but I do plan on experimenting on different settings. I'm pretty sure I'll go higher... I'm not a fan of the body roll around corners (it's not as bad as a Blazer's or Exploder's and much better than riding around on shot shocks), but it's nice to know I can elliminate it with a twist of the dials!

VehiGAZ
03/15/2006, 06:51 AM
I'm a Bilstein man myself. Note that the pro-and-con views you cited are for two different Bilstein models.... 5150s and 1738/39s. You will not find any complaints against the 1738/39s on this board.

I went with Bilstein B46-1738-H1 and B46-1739-H1 front and rears, and have been very happy with them. I was even able to compare the to a VX with original shocks and found them to be very, very comparable in ride quality. And I got the delivered to my door for only $325. Installation was easy, too... I posted a procedure on the board here sometime last year.

There are lots of Rancho 9000 fans here, so you will probably be good with those, too. I agree with you, though... it seems from people's posts that you have to crank them all the way to get a similar-to-stock ride.

Good luck!

transio
03/15/2006, 08:04 AM
I have the Bilstein H1's front and rear. Very stilff ride, comparable to stock. Do a search for "Bilstein 1738" to find posts with reviews on them.

If I had to do it again, though, I'd probably go with the Rancho 9000 adjustables. I find that for most of my commuting, the ride is just TOO stiff. I drive the VX these days when I DON'T want a sporty ride... that's what my sportscar is for.

mbeach
03/15/2006, 08:54 AM
I have (had) Bilstein 1738/39s on the dragon and Rancho 9000s on the Ironman.
I used to swap vehicles all of the time, so I have a pretty decent idea of how they compare to each other.

The Bilsteins with the stock 245/60 tire were too hard for most people's taste. I had a coilover-shod S14 in my stable for awhile, so I know what hard is -these were just uncomfortable. Same shocks paired up with 285/60 tires (taller sidewall), and it was like a completely different vehicle. It rode well, and it felt as sporty as I believe the VX is capable of.
For a brief period, I had the stock shocks in good shape (4 out of the 10 in my posession) -I'd say that the Bilsteins with the fat tires rode very close to the stock/intended ride.
As a side note, I towed a 4000 lb dual axle trailer from Ohio to Alaska this summer -the Bilsteins did a great job of taking the weight on some very rough roads. I never once felt that I was being tossed about by the trailer.

The Ranchos were too soft with every tire, on every setting. As for the in-cab controller, I had constant leaks, not just from the shocks. They were everywhere. For a brief period, I considered doing a hardline conversion for the air compressor -I even machined a nice aluminum manifold for the system plumbing. It's now a nice billet paperweight. I'm using the Ranchos set at 6/5 during the winter with a set of super-soft 255/60s. In the snow and ice they are fine, but I'll be wanting something with some more control come summer.

I'm thinking about pairing some stiff shocks with some softer/taller tires. Bottom line, tires are also a part of your suspension -it's impossible to make a fair comparison of shocks without taking this into account.

Oh, dual fronts have been done -check out the Dakar VX here:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/dualfront.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/dualfront.jpg)

Ruflyf
03/15/2006, 03:12 PM
just saw these on Ebay, dont know if its a good price or not

9000's (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rancho-rs9000x-Vehicross-shocks_W0QQitemZ8047146181QQcategoryZ33590QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

Nazrat
03/15/2006, 03:42 PM
Julian, how much would you want for the originals?

And Ruflyf, if you get the stock rears let me know if you want to sell the OMEs.

-Tad

Chopper
03/15/2006, 04:37 PM
Get stockers. Don't think anyone has done it better.

Ruflyf
03/15/2006, 08:43 PM
Heya Tad, didnt plan on switching the shocks, love the ones on it. Just thought it would be good to get as much of the original equipment as possible, therefore one day in the distant future, i'd have the ability to make it completey stock again if I wanted to.

driver3
03/22/2006, 11:07 AM
Ok.. so to follow up.. Great news.. went to sears after ordering some Rancho 5000's... I was intending on those based on price and the fact that I'll just set the adjustables at 9 and leave it anyway. I was told that the 5000's were basically the 9000's on 9. Anyway.. their shock guy goes in there to check mine out.. he loves them, tells me I'll be unhappy with anything else but the factory (he builds lifted race trucks and race cars)... AND that mine are in great shape and there's no reason to replace them!!! Good for sears in SouthWest Colorado Springs.. so I got an alignment and since I "saved" $300.. I bought tires from him.

So the new tires are Bridgestone Dueler APT III's... 265/75/16... They are a lot like my current tires, 60k warranty and they look real nice..

WOOHOO.. stock shocks still rolling at 102,500 miles... I love this car