PDA

View Full Version : looking for info

cableguy
03/13/2006, 07:46 PM
Hello, looking to buy my first Vehi-Cross but I have some questions thats causing hesitation. maybe you guys/gals could help me get some answers.

What are the common problems and in looking at a used Vehi-Cross, what to look for?

What is the real deal with the oil cunsuption?

How good is the tranny?

I'm not the type to rebuild my own motor and i like the Vehi-Cross but i'm concerned it may not be for me.......I hope i'm wrong, this is one bad a## little SUV.

Thanks for your help.

etlsport
03/14/2006, 07:01 AM
I just bought mine 3 weeks ago or so, i love it! my annoyances with it are visability, the pain in the butt of the rear door (ive locked my keys back there a couple of times since the doors dont need to be unlocked to open it) and the lack of cupholders.

as far as problems, i had the problem with the windows coming out of the track which you can find plenty of info on here if you search, that was a quick temp fix with silicon spray until i find time to actually work on it. then my fuel pressure regulator acts up and the vx hesitates to start if its only had 45-60 minutes to cool down after running (but its never not started either)

there are a few other posts listing common problems with the vx if you just use the search function of the forum, good luck!

Joe_Black
03/14/2006, 07:25 AM
The biggest design issue is the window problem which everyone gets eventually. Other than that it's a pretty solid vehicle built on good Isuzu truck thinking.

As far as the engine "stories", it's the same engine and drivetrain as in the Trooper, Rodeo and Axiom. The VehiCROSS got the same engines from the same production batches, they weren't specially constructed or designed for just the VX. So you're in the same service arena as the rest of the true Isuzu-built vehicles, which has a solid track record.

VehiGAZ
03/14/2006, 07:36 AM
You should pay close attention to the condition of the shocks, as the OEM shocks are wildly expensive to replace, and it seems to me that many VXs have had one or more of them fail over the years. Replacements vary in quality of course, depending on what people have decided to replace them with if they didn't put OEMs in there. Make sure you know what an OEM shock looks like (it has a remote reservoir assembly coming off the top near the upper mount) and what a failed shock looks and rides like when you look at VXs.

As for oil consumption, any mechanic will tell you that the amount of oil an engine burns is dependent on how hard the engine has been beat on by the owner, particularly during break-in. It is NOT an engine-design issue. Older engines burn more oil because they are looser and the rings are more worn.

Similarly, an engine that has been run up to the redline 10 times every trip to the grocery store will burn more oil than one that has been treated more gently. This is true of ANY engine - not just a Vehicross engine.

The complete engine failure that has happened to a couple of VX owners (generally foreshadowed by a HUGE jump in oil consumption) is a rare occurance, but is also possible with any engine out there.

Good luck shopping!

Apostle
03/14/2006, 07:45 AM
Dont forget the windows

Most, if not all, have a window binding problem. The clips that hold the window in place are poorly designed and tend to break. Which in turn causes the window to cock forward. Continueing to try to roll up the window while it is cocked will result in window breaking.

Alot of people have gone with after market shocks. Rancho makes some and the install is fairly simple. Most off road companies, or even Pepboys can change them out for a minor cost.

If your serious about buying, give me a holler. I'm in orlando and you can test drive mine (valid ID and proof of insurance required) :)

Should give you a feel for what you will come against.

cableguy
03/14/2006, 04:05 PM
Ttt

climbcovey
03/14/2006, 06:16 PM
I have a 2001 VX with 90,000 miles and have had absolutley no problems with it. Routine upkeep such as oil changes every 3000 miles has been it. I,m also not the most "gentle driver" either. I did have the window issue 10 months ago but I lubed the tracks and have had no further issues. the visibility out the rear is an issue but the little convex mirrors placed in the corner of the stock mirrors help. also getting in and out of the back seat can be a pain......litterally! and the lack of cup holders is an issue. check this site for a seat extender kit to resolve the entry and exit issue. as for the cup holders.... get over it and buy drinks with screw on lids. the vx is a excellent vehicle and turns alot of heads. one major downside, don't wreck it! parts can take a long time to locate! I hit a deer in december and couldn't get mine for 2 1/2 months! but that was mostly body parts and things specific to the vx. as the others on this site said most of the drivetrain will cross reference with other vehicles. by the way i'm sure you know how well toyota motors hold up. well, did you know that the toyotas actually have isuzu motors! good luck and be sure to join our little family here when you get your vx.

Maugan_VX
03/14/2006, 06:52 PM
I have to echo what climbcovey just stated.

I got my 2000 vx with 47k on the odometer. Its now at 77+, I've put on 30k miles in just over a year and a half. So far I've had to complete no major repairs. I did the standard $80 transmission flush and filter change at 60k, and am religious about changning the oil, PCV and cleaning the EGR every 3k miles. Only a list of admittedly superficial complaints:

-The stiff suspension lends itself to producing cabin squeaks and rattles. The best solution is simply turning up the stereo.
-The rear door entry stinks, but there's an easily installed popper kit (that I've had for a year now and still haven't installed, oh well)
-Make sure you rotate your tires appropriately. The TOD + a heavy right foot can (and in my case, did) lead to some pretty rounded tire shoulders.
-CD Changer and Windows, I've had both these problems, luckily both of them are fixable.
-Headlight gaskets, make sure they're there and secured well. I ended up silicone sealing mine to the headlight to make sure they stay put.
-short wheelbase can make towing "interesting." If thats something thats important to you.

goffaramma
03/15/2006, 12:36 PM
I just want to add that having owned two VX's so far, I've only come across the window binding problem on one and had no other issues. Both I've had have been used, and they've been great. No oil consumption issues, and my gas mileage has always been about 18-19 mpg. My current VX has 63,400 and it runs like a top.

Good luck in finding one you want. I say go for it!

rowhard
04/01/2006, 06:59 PM
Well, I am an expert. I have owned one now for, lets see, just over 2 months. I love it, gas mileage sucks, haven't had a window issue yet, I did spray the tracks with tri-Flow, big mistake, had to go back with brake cleaner to clean the tracks, seem to have swollen the tracks or something. Haven't used a drop of oil in 2000 miles. Finding parts seems to be like finding parts for a British Sports car back in the early 70's, meaning you might have to wait a while. If you have a backup, go for it, you will love it.