PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Rims from Isuzu

Ebony1433
04/13/2003, 09:42 AM
Hello All,

Add another one to the list of VX owners who have had their pitted rims replaced free of charge by Isuzu. After reading a post a few months ago regarding the rim problem, I noticed the pitting and peeling chrome on the inside of all 4 rims. I called my local dealer (Dom's Kia/Isuzu of North Plainfield, NJ) and told the service manager the problem. I was met with the same skepticism that most owners had received when they brought the issue to their local dealer's attention. But, thanks to the "Search" option on Vehicross.info and Clubvmag.com, I had printed a copy of every post having to do with this problem, complete with pictures. I handed the stack of posts to the service manager (with a picture of the pitted rims on top) and invited him outside to look at the rims for himself. There wasn't much he could say after that, and a 2 week wait, my new rims were installed Friday. (Which would have cost $1700 if they weren't under warranty) Thanks to all who posted about the rim problem, and I hope anyone who has to go through their dealer for rim replacement, has a smooth and hassle-free experience.

Moncha
04/13/2003, 11:00 AM
Ahhhhh, the power of the internet! :D

Scrapin 240
04/14/2003, 08:00 PM
how many miles were on the vx when this was occuring.

Ebony1433
04/14/2003, 10:10 PM
I noticed the pitting around the 13,000 mile mark. Then again, I didn't think to check until I came across a few posts alerting the VX owners to this condition. The pitting and peeling could have started much earlier.

Scrapin 240
05/10/2003, 03:03 PM
where would be a good place to look for pics of the defective rims, so I can see and maybe show them to the dealer for replacement. Thanks.

kpaske
05/11/2003, 06:38 AM
Is this a problem with defective rims on only some VX's? Mine has about 65k miles and I've noticed a little bit of wear on the chrome, but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary.

Is this the type of thing that would be covered under an extended warranty?

2K1 1K2
05/11/2003, 04:07 PM
believe they're covered for 12K miles... the 'damage' usually happens in the inner part of the rim. 'damage' ranges from chrome pitting (blisters?) to ugly scab-like bubbles. i've got an appointment w/ my dealer for wednesday - service dept mngr wants to take look at them. i've got about 6900 miles on this baby :confused:
i'll keep you guys posted...

-jose

Navigator
05/11/2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by kpaske
Is this a problem with defective rims on only some VX's? Mine has about 65k miles and I've noticed a little bit of wear on the chrome, but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary.

Is this the type of thing that would be covered under an extended warranty?

Mine is a 1999 as well. The 99's for the most part don't have this problem.

RobVX
05/12/2003, 08:09 AM
I just had my rims replaced on Friday. All four of my rims were actually peeling on the inside. I've got 6,100 miles on my VX so I wanted to get it tended to while still under warranty. Thanks to the posts on this and the old site, it helped me explain the defect to the dealer, who ordered me four shiny new ones. Hopefully these won't do the same thing!!! Rob A.

AlaskaVX
05/12/2003, 01:27 PM
I had my 18"s on until about 20,000 miles, then they were put into storage. Now with all this talk about this problem I went out to get them out and sure enough all 4 were blistered and peeling really bad. I would suggest if you are still under warranty to make sure (in other words take off your wheel and look at the inside of the rim) I'm going to try to take them back to the dealership, I'll let you all know what happens. I have 43000 miles now

WyrreJ
05/12/2003, 05:25 PM
Has anyone had their wheels replaced and then got the blistering on the replacement wheels too?

Hiss
05/12/2003, 06:33 PM
I've got 8100 miles and all 3 of my wheels are bubbling, and 1 wheel has chrome flaking. Guess it's a trip to my friendly ISUZU dealer! 2K1 1K2 what dealer do you have an appointment with?? Just curious. :mad:

2K1 1K2
05/13/2003, 05:13 PM
hiss, got an apptmnt w/mancari's isuzu at orland park. nice guys.
-jose

CSTYLES
05/13/2003, 06:45 PM
I just noticed this "flaking" the other day as I was polishing my rims. peices have fallen of about the size of a postage stamp since then. so far I have only seen it on one. Having bought the car used, I assume I still get the 3 year warranty. should I have the dealer look at it right away or wait to see if the problem gets any worse?

Hiss
05/13/2003, 07:12 PM
2K1 1K2, Mancaris Isuzu of Orland is where I purchased mine, thats probably where I'll take mine too. Let me know how it turns out. I don't have an appointment yet, I might just stop in there and have them check the wheels out , they are usually pretty cool to deal with...

Andrey
05/13/2003, 07:34 PM
mine is 99 - does not have this problem. 99s had 16 inch rims and all other 18 inch so it sees that this problem is only with 18 inch wheels.
I can not really say that my rims inside are really shiny (they are rather blurry) but outside they look OK.

Dallas4u
05/13/2003, 08:12 PM
Just FYI...

16" wheels were on the '99s and some of the '00s and are polished aluminum alloy. The 18" wheels are chrome plated alloys and were on most of the '00s and all of the '01s.

driver3
05/14/2003, 07:24 AM
Does anyone know how much it would be to get the rims chromed again? I have 50,000+ miles and they won't replace them, long story, but they were pitted at 6000 and I didn't tell them until 14,000 and they wouldn't replace them. I thought since we had the super warranty that they would be covered so I didn't rush... there aren't too many isuzu dealers around. too bad for me I guess...

AndyC
05/14/2003, 03:31 PM
Well I just had my rear two replaced today. I went to the dealer at my appointed time to find out that they don't have the right machine to change 18".. Humm So I waited to talk to the Manager. Their good machine is in storage because they in the middle of a big addition. They called a tire garage and I had to take it there with the new rims. Well I didn't want the weights on the outsides on the new rims so I had them rebalance the fronts and put the weights on the inside too -- they have to match:) -- I figured since I had to drive down, wait and drive back to the dealer they'd cover that :) No calls yet :)
I asked about the rim returns and was told to give them a call back in 45 days(Isuzu wait time) to see if my old rims are still there if so he said I could have them. I'm not counting on it but hey it' worth a try. When the tire garage had the fronts off I spotted a few little bubble on one of them so I have to keep a close eye on them since I have 3k left on the wheel replacement .

2K1 1K2
05/15/2003, 09:10 PM
GOOD NEWS! took the vx to the dealer as scheduled - service mgr took a look at the rims (blistering, flaking and scabbing?) and agreed at having them replaced. reminded me about waxing the rims due to chicago weather and the elements, i agreed (since i do wax 'em,) but told him the vx only had less than 7k miles - too soon for something like this to happen. also, mentioned that this has happened to a few others on these boards. bought mine new at this dealer and the service dept has been A-OK from the start.
so far, covered under warranty (no questions/discussions etc) - both headlight assemblies due to top of headlight hazing, condensation, vent cover by passenger windshield wiper flying off, interior trim piece missing/broken clip and now the rims.
props to the service dept for a hassle free experience!
-jose

2K1 1K2
06/02/2003, 07:42 PM
:thumbup:

well - the vx is sporting new rims, as of last friday morning. all 4 replaced under warranty. they look spiffy! now need to find time to wax 'em and start saving for some 16" 'ers for the fall/winter - 16" 'ers haven't peeled, etc on anyone, have they?
again - thanks to the service team at mancari's isuzu in orland park for their professionalism and no hassle attitude.

-jose

mrtew
06/02/2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 2K1 1K2
believe they're covered for 12K miles... the 'damage' usually happens in the inner part of the rim. 'damage' ranges from chrome pitting (blisters?) to ugly scab-like bubbles. i've got an appointment w/ my dealer for wednesday - service dept mngr wants to take look at them. i've got about 6900 miles on this baby :confused:
i'll keep you guys posted...

-jose

What's all this talk about a 12,000 mile warantee on the wheels? I don't remember anything about andy warantees expiring after 12,000 miles. Is this in writing anywhere or just common knowlege or dealer tradition or what?

Tonka
06/02/2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by 2K1 1K2
:thumbup:

well - the vx is sporting new rims, as of last friday morning. all 4 replaced under warranty. they look spiffy! now need to find time to wax 'em and start saving for some 16" 'ers for the fall/winter - 16" 'ers haven't peeled, etc on anyone, have they?
again - thanks to the service team at mancari's isuzu in orland park for their professionalism and no hassle attitude.

-jose

The 16" rims off the 1999 VX are polished silver not chrome so they don't flake or blister. They do attract rocks though!

ScottinMA
06/03/2003, 07:05 AM
When my rims were replaced the service department mentioned that I was lucky to have noticed it because afer 12K miles the warrantee is over.

Scott