PDA

View Full Version : ZuZoo dates now official...mark your calandars and be there!

Triathlete
03/12/2006, 12:25 PM
ZuZoo's (http://www.zuzoo.org/index.shtml) website has now been updated with the 2006 event info! Trail list and registration is not up yet but the dates are comfirmed and the basic info is there. So lets have a huge turn out of VX's this year! Woohoo!

rowhard
03/12/2006, 04:52 PM
So let me ask the question here. (I did on the ZuZoo site but am sure they are busy) Is it all about beating our rigs up off road? Not the least bit interested in doing that myself. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy hanging out, lifting a few jars, snapping a few photo's, sharing some idea's, what have you. is that cool. also, is there plenty of rooms? My idea of roughing it is waiting 15 minutes for room service or a motel 6.

Anita
03/12/2006, 05:47 PM
The ZuZoo event will offer many different trails from which to choose- all with ratings of difficulty. You can choose what trails you wish to run on - difficult or easy. THe VX run that Todd leads usually is a more difficult run but very satisfying to test the abilities of our truck.

In the evenings Vxers as well as other Isuzu model owners get together at the local restaurants have dinner and hang out. The scenery is breathtaking (check out Scott's VX albums on Moncha.com), the chance to meet other Vx owners is great and the Trooper, Rodeo and Amigo folk are all good people to get to know.

tomdietrying
03/12/2006, 05:49 PM
Rowhard,
There are plenty of rooms in Moab so don't worry about roughing it. Also, there are plenty of trails out there with different ratings so you won't bang up the VX. In my opinion, and chime in if I'm wrong, but I would say any trail with a 3.5 rating will be challenging and fun with the potential of no damage to the stock VX. It all depends on the line you choose. No one goes out there to to do any damage to their beloved VX.

I can't think of anyone doing any damage to their VX if they followed that rule last year.

Peace.
Tom

P.S.
I'll be there again this year.

Triathlete
03/12/2006, 06:35 PM
yep, the 3.5's and under are definately non-damage doable. The scenery is beautifull. Another option to camping is cabins at most of the campgrounds (have to reserve early). Most of the VXers there are not wanting to dodamage to their vehicles. Just don't follow me and you should be fine! :smack: Many bone stock VX's clad in street tires have survived some great trails. And if you might want to see some of the more difficult stuff you can always park the VX and find an open seat with some of the more hardcore guys. I know I for one will be looking to ride shotgun with anyone doing Helldorado!

BumbleV-X
03/12/2006, 10:48 PM
Thought this might help a bit.

This page is put out by the Red Rock 4 wheelers (local 4wheel drive club of Moab)
http://xterra101.com/moabratings.htm

This one has a list of trails and the ratings
http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm
(the white Isuzu Amigo throughout this website was owned and driven by a VX'r)

This one is put out by the Red Rock 4wheelers and it looks as though some of the ratings have changed. Pritchet is now classified as a 5 ;eekr; This one is for the Easter Jeep Safari, but as I understand it we use their permit.
http://www.rr4w.com/trails.html#hrock

Anita
03/13/2006, 08:32 AM
And here is a link to the Moab Information Site

http://www.moab-utah.com/

Triathlete
03/13/2006, 08:33 AM
Great links Anita. Will we be seeing you there this year?

Anita
03/13/2006, 11:10 AM
I decided several years ago to retire my truck from Moab, mainly to keep the mileage down and to prevent any trail trophies. :smack: I have always been the more scenic driving kind of girl and not the gymnastic "lets see what this truck can do" off-road enthusiast. It was my personal challenge to go to Moab and I am very glad I did it. I wouldnt trade the experience for anything despite the minor irritations that occured. Everyone should go to Moab at least once. The event is put together by hard working folks that go out of their way to make it the success it is every year.

nocturnalVX
03/14/2006, 11:01 AM
Everyone should go to Moab at least once. The event is put together by hard working folks that go out of their way to make it the success it is every year.
Amen Anita! I wish I could've gone the last two years, and REALLY hate missing this event for a third time. However, having participated in Zu Zoo V & VI (completely stock on 18" bling-bling rims & all-season street tires), I at least have those memories... have to live the Moab experience through others for now. I will get back out there, and I highly suggest every VXer viusit Moab at least one time to see what the VehiCROSS can do! :thumbup:

Scott Harness
03/17/2006, 09:49 AM
I have decided to not go this year,wait a second, Uncle Sam decided I couldn't go this year. "Took my MOAB MONEY" There still might be a slim chance ,if business is really good. next year for sure.

Locomigo
03/28/2006, 09:27 PM
Long enough for trails you have waited, posted they are.

Click on the link you must, to find what you seek.
'Zu Zoo IX trails (http://www.zuzoo.org/trails/MZZIX-staff.htm)

or you can go here: www.zuzoo.org (http://www.zuzoo.org)

biju
03/29/2006, 05:52 AM
Locomigo:

Any ideas as to when the registration will be up and running on the site?

Thanks.

-biju.

Locomigo
03/29/2006, 06:18 AM
We're shooting for this weekend. In the process of finalizing the development site, and we will see how it goes over the next few days. We will post up once things are golden.

Triathlete
03/29/2006, 07:28 AM
Hmmm, now to decide which trails I want to play on this year!

Triathlete
03/30/2006, 08:59 AM
Here is my list...
Tue. Where ever Todd leads us! :bwgy:
Wen. Tip Toe Through Hell (for those who have done this trail..this is Hells Revenge using the bypasses, correct?)
Thur. Fins and Things
Fri. Cliff Hanger or Poison Spider Mesa
Sat. Steel Bender
*subject to change of course!

biju
03/30/2006, 03:25 PM
Here is my list...
Tue. Where ever Todd leads us! :bwgy:
Wen. Tip Toe Through Hell (for those who have done this trail..this is Hells Revenge using the bypasses, correct?)
Thur. Fins and Things
Fri. Cliff Hanger or Poison Spider Mesa
Sat. Steel Bender
*subject to change of course!

Billy - I didn't get the chance to hang with you on trails last year, but it looks like that'll change this Zu... Here's my tentative agenda:

TUES: 'TBA' trail with Todd
WED: Tippy Toes
TH: Fins n Flippers
F: That Cliff

-biju.

Todd Adams
04/01/2006, 08:05 PM
OK I have decided what trail we are going to do but I am not going to tell. Instead I going to make it a contest for the first one to guess it right.
Here are a few clues. Oh and since I have given enough clues to come up with the exact route that is the answer I expect not just the trail name.

1. Even if you have done this trail before I guarantee it will be different as only one that has gotten lost in the area many times as I have knows where the neat things are.
2. The trail is rated almost but not quite a 4 so there may be some straps or even winches used.
3. There may be more than one short walk involved to witness a famous duality and not so famous heart stopper.
4. Not so long ago the way back to town was blocked but now there is a way under.

So what will the prize be? I haven’t figured that out yet.
Todd

Triathlete
04/01/2006, 08:10 PM
Your jeep? :_drool:

Green Dragon
04/02/2006, 07:29 AM
OK I have decided what trail we are going to do but I am not going to tell. Instead I going to make it a contest for the first one to guess it right.
Here are a few clues. Oh and since I have given enough clues to come up with the exact route that is the answer I expect not just the trail name.

3. There may be more than one short walk involved to witness a famous duality and not so famous heart stopper.

Todd

Green River/ Colorodo River confluence trip.

Triathlete
04/02/2006, 07:58 AM
You are coming aren't you Bob?!?!?! Be great to see you there again. Had lots of fun with you last year and might need your words of wisdom again! Made my trip just that much better.

Green Dragon
04/02/2006, 02:18 PM
You are coming aren't you Bob?!?!?! Be great to see you there again. Had lots of fun with you last year and might need your words of wisdom again! Made my trip just that much better.

Kind Words but me & the Dragon are officially retired. No more Moab. Every VX owner should go at least once to Moab . Not unlike a pilgrimage to Mecca.

Todd Adams
04/02/2006, 04:40 PM
Green River/ Colorodo River confluence trip.
Sorry Bob. I have never been lost in Canyonlands. And sorry your not coming.
One more clue. I have never lead this for the VX or 'ZuZoo, if you have an Easter Jeep Safari Paper and read it cover to cover the clues will make sense but there are other recourses that could also lead you to the right answer.

Triathlete
04/02/2006, 07:25 PM
I for one will miss you there Bob! I'm sure most everyone else will agree. Just won't be the same.

Triathlete
04/05/2006, 07:34 AM
Only one guess...at this rate the VX run will remain a secret until we hit the trail!

Locomigo
04/10/2006, 10:21 PM
Sooooo... speaking of dates; keep your eyes open, as I suspect that the official registration will be opened tomorrow evening.

Stay tuned to www.zuzoo.org for more info.

Triathlete
04/11/2006, 03:56 PM
From the ZuZoo site

Don't forget that we are limiting the event to 50 rigs this year so register early!

Rumor is the registration will open tonight so register early so you don't get left out!

Ldub
04/11/2006, 04:33 PM
CHOMP'N at the bit here !!!
Just finished the build portion of the rear cargo box...now if I can get it upholstered (auto carpet) before the 13th, I'll have most of the hard stuff done.
I've got a feeling the next 30+ days are gonna drag & fly by at the same time. :rolleyes:

Ldub
04/11/2006, 04:58 PM
Just got done registering !

biju
04/11/2006, 05:10 PM
Thank's LDUB. I just registered as well...

-biju

Triathlete
04/11/2006, 05:12 PM
I'm registered!
wen...tip toe
thu...fins&things
fri...cliff hanger
sat...steel bender
WOOOOOHOOOOOO!

VCAMILO
04/11/2006, 05:16 PM
I have payed and signed up for Wed..Tip toe through hell & Thu...fins and things = shirt and decal. I will be driving back on Thursday night. :-(

MSHardeman
04/12/2006, 08:44 AM
Just got registered and I'm rarin' to go. Since it's my first year, and really my first time wheeln' the VX, I took it easy and only signed up for the VX run on Tuesday and 3-D on Wednesday. If I gain some confindence maybe I'll try to get in on some of the other trails if there are slots open.

Can't wait to meet everyone. :bgwo:

Locomigo
04/12/2006, 09:30 AM
There will be PLENTY of slots open... in comparison to the 50 vehicle limit, the trail slots available each day are:
WED - 65
THU - 75
FRI - 65
SAT - 60

I dont foresee any difficulty getting people on the trails (for the most part) of their choosing. I kept the limits flexible for that reason.

There are actually quite a few suitable trails for you on Thu, Fri, & Sat that you will thoroughly enjoy. We do try to help newcomers along with careful spotting and coaching. :cool:

Thanks,
Keith Ellingford
Moab 'Zu Zoo IX Trailmaster

MSHardeman
04/12/2006, 03:52 PM
Locomigo,

Thanks for the reply. I know I would like to do more trails, but never having been wheelin' in Moab, I didn't know what to expect from the trail rating system. I also don't want to scratch my baby, so I'm a little paranoid about that too.

I see that you're in Aroura. Are you going to be part of the Colorado caravan?

Triathlete
04/12/2006, 04:36 PM
MSH you should at least plan a trail for each day. You can always change your mind and not go. But if you later decide to go and then its full you'll kick yourself. Fins and things is one everyone talks about having to do. I didn't do i last year but put it at the top of my list this year. I think afer the VX run you will see that your baby is quite cappable and some of your fears will subscide. Everyone out there takes care of one another. If your not comfortable just yell and someone will be there to spot you through the spot. Just ask Biju. He was a total navice last year to the point of getting blisters on his hand from gripping the wheel so tight, but after a couple of trails he was all smiles from ear to ear!

tomdietrying
04/12/2006, 08:22 PM
Billy,
I think that was a secret Biju wated to keep a secret.:eek: LOL
Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
04/12/2006, 09:15 PM
Nah, we laughed about it!

biju
04/12/2006, 09:29 PM
I did white knuckle it, and how! First, because of the fear of the unknown. Second, because I truly would have given my left **t instead of hurt the VX (only damage was a $.10 sized 'ping' in my tailpipe). Third, because of the adrenaline and excitement once out on the trail !!!

That morning at the McD's parking lot I think all could see the look of terror I had on my face. I didn't hide it well. I mean, prior to moab the only 'obstacle' I had ever encountered in her was a pot-hole on CO. roads.

Some present on my first day were saying I'd be just fine, yet others guaranteed nothing. Both agreed the other was correct. However, I went for it and ever since my friends can't get me to shut up about it!!! :p

I have a stinkin' feeling we'll all have a hard time KEEPING you from going on other trails after the VX run. But then again, who knows. Either way, I'm just glad you'll be joining us for the event.

-biju.

Locomigo
04/12/2006, 10:13 PM
Guess I need to update that... Actually Parker now.

I will already be in Moab for the Caravan time. The Trailseeker group may have some people passing through during that timeframe. but the return trip is AWESOME. Literally a dozen plus Isuzus lined up playing leapfrog on I-70 headed east chattin on the CB. Makes the short drive even shorter.

I cant guarantee that you will be scratch free, but for the most part, you should be able to 80% of the trails... excepting Pritchett, Spike, possibly Moab Rim. Anything else should be do-able.. but feel free to PM me, Ill give you some thoughts.

The VX wheelbase is well suited for a lot of trails and the Isuzu line is just unbelievably stout and capable out of the box.

Additionally, the trail list has hot links to the trail descriptions so feel free to jump on over and check them out.

Thanks,
Keith

WyldWeasel
04/13/2006, 12:16 PM
Registered today, but didn't see anything for the VX run on the registration page. Is that something I have to sign up for here? I'm a total newb to 4WD vehicles so I tried to go with the easiest trails to get my feet wet.

Wed: 3-D
Thu: Top of the World
Fri: No trail, resting, enjoying the campground (cause I didn't want to attempt any of the trails on this day, Cliffhanger sounds like a bit too much for me)
Sat: Fins & Things

I'm one of those who really doesn't want to bang up the ol' VX. I love this vehicle, it's awesome.

Oh, one more thing: I guess I'm gonna get a CB for this, any recommendations? Both for the unit and antenna and where/how to mount it?

Locomigo
04/13/2006, 12:57 PM
Registered today, but didn't see anything for the VX run on the registration page. Is that something I have to sign up for here? I'm a total newb to 4WD vehicles so I tried to go with the easiest trails to get my feet wet.
Thats because it's an "unofficial" run, kindly organized by Todd Adams. IIRC, there is a signup for it somewhere around here. Obviously, I do not run on that as I do not own a VX, but a cousin Amigo. :p

Wed: 3-D
Thu: Top of the World
Fri: No trail, resting, enjoying the campground (cause I didn't want to attempt any of the trails on this day, Cliffhanger sounds like a bit too much for me)
Sat: Fins & Things

I'm one of those who really doesn't want to bang up the ol' VX. I love this vehicle, it's awesome.

Good choices, that should give you quite a flavor for the Moab area. Although two excellent choices for you on Friday would be Cliffhanger, it has been downgraded in recent years, and that has Fernando leading who is one of the best trail leaders out there. Im confident in that choice for you.
Second choice is Poison Spider Mesa, with Randii leading that, I dont see an issue there either. I know the VX is up to the challenge, and after a couple days of playing. I would imagine you will be too. :thumbup:

Oh, one more thing: I guess I'm gonna get a CB for this, any recommendations? Both for the unit and antenna and where/how to mount it?

I have the Cobra ST75WX, and the remote unit is installed under the console with the unit hung from the sunroof gutter with a clip.
http://www.cobra.com/shop_image/product/98c5469dd94336b026659121ef98ebb1.jpg
Under $100
http://www.palcoelectronics.com/pe90.htm

with one of these:
http://www.walcottcb.com/images/MH20.jpg
any truck stop will have them or go to:
www.walcottcb.com

For the antenna, a magnetic mount on the roof works pretty well. tough on the VX with all the lower body cladding.

Todd has also posted a link to CB sources in this thread IIRC.

Triathlete
04/13/2006, 02:37 PM
I ordered mine here (http://www.buyreliant.com/cb/c75wxst.htm). This was the cheapest place I found. The service was great. With regular ground shipping it was at my door in 4 days for a total of $102 (included shipping and insurance). I am ordering a 'Lil Wilson antenna as recomened by Todd.
The VX run is as said an unofficial run that Todd hosts. It is a great way to get to know the cappabilities of your VXand meet a lot of fellow VXers. You can add your name by clicking on the link at the top of the home page just so everyone knows you'll be there. There will be a post shortly, I'm sure, with the meeting time and place. Todd is probably quite busy right now since his club is the organization putting on the Easter Jeep Safari which he is a participant.
Looks like we will have a good turnout this year!

WyldWeasel
04/13/2006, 02:45 PM
I should also note that I am a totally newb to CB's in general. Any recommendations as how best to educate myself on CB etiquette/operation/licensing requirements, etc.?

Triathlete
04/13/2006, 02:49 PM
Cobra includes a nice little book that has the basics.

biju
04/14/2006, 01:40 PM
Scott - any chance we could get a 'countdown' module on the homepage?

-biju.

Todd Adams
04/20/2006, 11:25 PM

1. Even if you have done this trail before I guarantee it will be different as only one that has gotten lost in the area many times as I have knows where the neat things are.
2. The trail is rated almost but not quite a 4 so there may be some straps or even winches used.
4. Not so long ago the way back to town was blocked but now there is a way under.

Todd
Here is another clue. This was shot at Easter Safari this year.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5178407678852603943
One of the three (that I can remember) major obstacles on the trail I am planning on. If it looks to hard, let me know. :eek:
Todd

Ldub
04/21/2006, 04:13 AM
Is that do-able w/an unlifted, slightly larger tired(265/70-16) VX ?
I'm up for most anything that doesn't include body damage, & am thinking I might still have time to put an inch or two of lift on it before Moab.
I'm aware that without larger diam. tires, a lift isn't going to give the axles much more clearance.
My previous off road experience only includes wheeling at Badlands, a trip to the top of Hualalai on the Big Island(from what I can tell, probably about 3-3.5...done in a stock chev. 3/4 ton PU) & some playing in the mud here in the "great FLAT north".
Thanks for any input,
Ldub

Jay Dunford
04/21/2006, 05:30 AM
Here is another clue. This was shot at Easter Safari this year.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5178407678852603943
One of the three (that I can remember) major obstacles on the trail I am planning on. If it looks to hard, let me know. :eek:
Todd

Ooh, ooh, I think I know! Are you gonna give everyone a wedgie? :p

biju
04/21/2006, 05:39 AM
!*GULP*!

Um, I'm with LDUB. Is that doable in a near stock VX? I mean - I'll give it a whirl (what the hell, that's what I'm there for!!), but YIKES... Looks like it will get the blood pumping for sure!

How many moon buggies will have winches on this run?

-biju.

tomdietrying
04/21/2006, 06:23 AM
Wooooooo-Whoooooooo! This is going to be fun!
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
Can someone post the address to where I need to send my payment for ZUZU? I signed up but I it will not allow me to use paypal or go where the address is.

Locomigo
04/21/2006, 06:52 AM
Is that do-able w/an unlifted, slightly larger tired(265/70-16) VX ?
Ldub

I would say, absolutely. Todd is a good spotter and very competent leader and as such, I would not see an issue with it.
I remember my first trip to Moab 3 months after having the Amigo and being VERY green myself. Todd led us through Seven Mile Rim and provided lots of tips, pointers, spotting and assistance in general to make us feel comfortable.

These vehicles (Isuzu in general, but the short 92" wheelbase of the Vehicross makes a big difference on a lot of obstacles like this) are very capable and you will surprise yourself with what you can do in them. The traction that slickrock offers is simply amazing.

Most I see happening there is a little bit of scraping on the skid plates, etc. Trust your spotter and have fun! We never put anyone or their vehicle in a position to be intentionally damaged. Yes it can and does happen occasionally (I would say <20%), but the skills of our staff helps greatly to minimize that possibility. Rest assured that we will do everything within our power to get you through the trail with minimal issue.

And the other thing, unless you've been on both sides of the strap/winch, you really havent been wheelin. That or not tryin hard enough. :p

Keith

Locomigo
04/21/2006, 06:57 AM
!*GULP*!

Um, I'm with LDUB. Is that doable in a near stock VX? I mean - I'll give it a whirl (what the hell), but YIKES. Looks like it will get the blood pumping for sure!

-biju.

That's the spirit!

Funny thing on the winch subject... In the 6 years Ive been out there 'Zu Zoo and crawloween runs... I think I have only seen the winch cable spooled out a handful of times on the "normal" trails mostly on Hells Gate and Escalator of Hells Revenge. Typically a strap is all thats needed.

Now for some of the extreme runs (Upper Helldorado, Proving Grounds, Coyote, Pickle, Area BFE), its a different story. :cool:

Locomigo
04/21/2006, 07:00 AM
Wooooooo-Whoooooooo! This is going to be fun!
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
Can someone post the address to where I need to send my payment for ZUZU? I signed up but I it will not allow me to use paypal or go where the address is.

Try this link:
http://www.zuzoo.org/registration/thankyou.shtml

The one that comes up after your registration.

Todd Adams
04/21/2006, 09:10 AM
Ooh, ooh, I think I know! Are you gonna give everyone a wedgie? :p
Nope, wrong trail.
Todd

Triathlete
04/21/2006, 09:20 AM
I'm thinking its somewhere in Utah! Thats about as close to guess as I have...and it NOT Poison Spider, Metal Masher, Kane Creek, Hotel Rock, or Gold Bar Rim. I've been on them and don't recall that obstacle. :bwgy:
But I can't wait to find out and give it a go!

Todd, where and when are we meeting up for the VX run?

Todd Adams
04/21/2006, 09:31 AM
I'm thinking its somewhere in Utah! Thats about as close to guess as I have...and it NOT Poison Spider, Metal Masher, Kane Creek, Hotel Rock, or Gold Bar Rim. I've been on them and don't recall that obstacle. :bwgy:
But I can't wait to find out and give it a go!

Todd, where and when are we meeting up for the VX run?

We will be leaving Portal Campground at 8:00 AM Tuesday May 16th.

Even though this is a regular named EJS trail I will be taking you to spots not normally visited. So plan for a long day. I suspect we will get back to the campground around dinnertime.

Locomigo
04/21/2006, 09:32 AM
From the clues, it seems like Gemini Bridges/Bull Canyon area is a reasonable choice, but neither of those trails are worthy of a 4 rating or 3 obstacles. Ill be interested to see what it is, and how yall fair.

Ill be in camp on Saturday 5/13, so let me know if ya need anything.

Todd Adams
04/21/2006, 09:35 AM
!*GULP*!

Um, I'm with LDUB. Is that doable in a near stock VX? I mean - I'll give it a whirl (what the hell, that's what I'm there for!!), but YIKES... Looks like it will get the blood pumping for sure!

-biju.

If it instills any reassurance, I have a winch on my VX and Linda will be following us with one as well.
Todd

WyldWeasel
04/21/2006, 08:55 PM
Being a total newb to the 4WD thing, where does one purchase a strap?

Triathlete
04/21/2006, 10:26 PM
Any local 4X shop should have them.

Locomigo
04/21/2006, 11:02 PM
Being a total newb to the 4WD thing, where does one purchase a strap?

Support our own... call up Matt @ Indy4x
http://independent4x.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$YIKV4BQAABI21TZENUGETIWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=839915%7C928550&PRID=1250593

Todd Adams
04/21/2006, 11:52 PM
Support our own... call up Matt @ Indy4x
http://independent4x.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$YIKV4BQAABI21TZENUGETIWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=839915%7C928550&PRID=1250593
You will also need one of these to attach it to your rear eye.

http://independent4x.com/item.html?UCIDs=839915%7C928550&PRID=940138
Never even think about a strap with hooks. Very dangerous.
Todd

Locomigo
04/24/2006, 09:11 AM
In a post last year, Mike had this to say... To motivate people for the event... 23 days.

My apologies, in advance, to those of you with dial up. I couldn't budge any more on the quality of the music.

Turn it up loud.
See You In May (http://www.planetbantz.com/imghost/isuzu/SeeYouInMaySm.wmv)
5.61meg, Windows Media Video (wmv) format

And I decided to add another video/slideshow of some memorable moments over the years:

Moab Slideshow (http://www.planetbantz.com/imghost/isuzu/MoabSlideShow.wmv)
(WARNING: lyrics not even remotely safe for work. If you've ever heard some of Crystal Method's music, you'll understand)
6.3meg, Windows Media Video (wmv) format

Right-click that link and choose "Save As..." if you want to keep it.

Enjoy
:D

http://www.planetbantz.com/imghost/isuzu/032705doublewhammy.jpg

Triathlete
04/24/2006, 12:52 PM
From 4x4wire
some traffic snarles that you might need to know about...
Just something to be aware of:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moab Main Street

Project Web site: www.udot.utah.gov/moabmainstreet

Project includes the complete reconstruction of Moab Main Street from 300 South to 200 North and pavement rehabilitation from Overlook Road to 500 North. Some utility lines will also be replaced.

Work is complete from 200 North to 100 South and has been suspended until May 1 when crews will return to work from 100 South to 300 South. Pavement rehabilitation activities from Overlook Road to 500 North will also resume on May 1. Construction is expected to wrap up by August 2006. During construction, traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zone. Motorists can expect a reduced speed limit and moderate delays. All business accesses will remain open. Expected completion: August 2006. (RT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those coming from the west on I-70

Quote:

I-70 from Floy Wash to Crescent Junction (U.S. 191)

Project includes the mill, recycle, and new pavement overlay of this section of Interstate 70 northwest of Moab.

Beginning the week of April 17, crews will mill 1.5 inches of asphalt off the top of the road, mill and recycle 3 inches of pavement, and place 3.5 inches of new asphalt on the road. During construction, traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zone. Motorists can expect a reduced speed limit and moderate delays. Expected completion: August 2006. (FJ)

Quote:

U.S. 191 from MP 147-151 North of Moab

Project includes the addition of southbound passing lanes, the roto-mill of existing lanes, and a full-width overlay.

Crews will begin work April 17 and will reduce traffic to one lane in alternating directions as directed by flggers and pilot cars. Motorists should expect delays of up to 15 minutes. Expected completion: summer, 2006. (FJ)

Just an FYI for your planning pleasure.

See everyone there!

Triathlete
04/25/2006, 12:40 PM
Looks like it could be a warm one unless some coolrain moves through!
Moab weather (http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USUT0165?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared)

Randii
04/27/2006, 12:27 PM
Wow, am I behind... thankfully, Keith has been doing an awesome job getting the updates out! I've been travelling for business and just basically working too much and too often, but I am STOKED about Moab, and it wil be great to see the VX contingent yet again. Seems like there will be about ten VXs, which always gives me a chance to watch townfolkd double-take, gawk, and gape at vehicles they've never seen before. That's pretty impressive, considering how many truly odd vehicles pass through Moab in any given year.

Keith and Anita hit the highlights -- Moab 'Zu Zoo is a good place to get a feel for what your Isuzu can really do, and the event staff works really hard to keep everyone close to their comfort zone, and generally outside the damage zone. In most every case where a vehicle has been damaged, it has still been within the driver's comfort zone... some of us play on the tough stuff, knowing that it may leave an impression on our sheet metal! :p

I can't imagine 'retiring from Moab' like Bob and Anita have done, but I respect that they have been there and done that, and hope to bump into them elsewhere. In the meantime, tho, every third weekend in May, you'll be able to find me in Moab... this year, with my own actual truck! :D

See you there!

Randii

Locomigo
05/09/2006, 10:03 AM
Just thought I would throw out a post here as we are a week away from the event...

And just to get you a little more enticed, as though that's needed... I mean it's MOAB, if you aren't stoked by now, I don't think there is any hope for ya... :p

A new sub-event that was attempted last year, was met with such positive response, that we decided to expand it and make it a bit more fun this year.

Geophotocaching.
What is it you say? Well simple really. A list of coordinates and clues are handed out. Utilizing your GPS you navigate to the location of the coordinates and attempt to decipher the clue as to what the photo goal is at each location. Each location is weighted upon difficult of clue, location and terrain. The more difficult, the higher the point total is for that location.
Your clock starts upon receipt of your registration packet and ends Saturday as specified by the rules.

Saturday is going to be fantastic as there will be the early/short trail runs followed by:

The will also be the 'Zuzoopaluza again on Saturday afternoon which is shaping up to be a great time again. The events will be:
* Show n shine - self explanatory ('Zu show off)
* Spotters Challenge - you are blindfolded and guided through a cone course by a spotter's audible commands.
* Duck Hunt - Tests your vehicle placement knowledge
* Rescue - Rescue a stuck rig

Then of course there will be the BBQ/Banquet in the early evening.

I know I am stoked, what say you?

Keith Ellingford
Moab 'Zu Zoo IX Trailmaster

Ldub
05/09/2006, 02:37 PM
I am SO ready for some time off & SO amped up for Zuzu.
Finally getting to the bottom of my "to do" list...only a couple things that aren't gonna happen this year. Like a 2" lift, rock sliders & some sort of skid plate under the engine oil pan.
Oh well, being a Moab first timer I should take it a little easy this year & come back next year with a better understanding of whus what.
Oh, BTW, Happy B-lated B-Day trailboss LOCO! ;party:

Locomigo
05/09/2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the note! :cool:

With your trail selections, I dont foresee an issue with that rig and your "missed out mods" You probably wont even miss em. :)

I hope you have the opportunity to stay through Saturday, its gonna be a rockin time.

Triathlete
05/13/2006, 09:22 AM
3 days til the VX run!!!!!!

Heres the weather report...

Hi 92°F
Lo 59°F

Precip
0 %

Hi 91°F
Lo 59°F

Precip
10 %

Hi 90°F
Lo 59°F

Precip
20 %

Hi 89°F
Lo 57°F

Precip
20 %

Hi 91°F
Lo 60°F

Precip
20 %

Hi 86°F
Lo 57°F

Precip
20 %

Hi 86°F
Lo 59°F

Precip
20 %

Hi 87°F
Lo 58°F

Precip
10 %

Hi 87°F
Lo 55°F

Precip
0 %

10-20% chance of rain almost every day. Some light rain would help keep things cooler and cut down the dust!
See you all there!

rowhard
05/16/2006, 03:55 AM
Well, it's looking like I might have to wait till ZuZoo X to met this crowd. Went out to start my VX last night and it wouldn't start. Basic troubleshooting revealed no spark. So called for a rollback to take it to my mechanic late last night. Now, how soon he can get it in and then wait for any parts that are need might very well put an end to our 3pm Wed. departure. Guess its just as well now instead of in the middle of nowhere.

rowhard
05/16/2006, 04:06 PM
Yep, it's official, we won't be there this year, (And Joe Black, was really looking forward to having a look at that bridge) Something shorted out and blew the PCM Main relay. (If you get enough Kentucky's finest in me, I'll tell you the real story) Anyway, 3rd week in May, Right? Will plan on making it for the whole week next year. Maybe by the end of the week I will shed the training wheels and try a 4.0 trail. Was really looking forward to it. Now I hope I can get the tee shirts we ordered.